Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It was just a cheapy but can't see it damaging it on removal. Hoping it's just not 100% home. It's only got 17k on it from new so wouldn't think it's worn, definitely didn't have this much wobble prior to removing it.

You really need the threaded rod install tool to pull the balancer in. What did you use to pull it in most of the way before tightening the bolt?

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
You really need the threaded rod install tool to pull the balancer in. What did you use to pull it in most of the way before tightening the bolt?
That's what I used for install, pulled it as far as I could, looked like it went pretty much all the way home before I fitted the Arp bolt. Will torque it to 235ft lbs and see what happens.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Finally got around to road testing the GTI after replacing the manifold gasket.

Probably shouldn't have. Second guessing selling it now. Such a fun little car to throw about.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
didn't do anything to my car....
but did fix a steering issue in the grandies KIA Cerato yesterday arvo

Last weekend she came around and said the steering was not working well, had slack. noisy too
like when you turned the wheel off centre (either way) it had slackness and then went clunk.... then clang

yeah... sounds serious so I took it around the block and it went clunk...clang (sorta metal hitting metal clang)
so
first... what sort of steering? Kia used on the Cerato manual steering( like VB Commodores) and power steering
...2 types when I dug out the KIA TIS I had for this, both hydraulic (like lots of cars) and electric.. column based assist.
(not rack based like VF Commodore)

so her Cerato?... had to be the more difficult of them didn't it! Electric column based assist... and nothing much in the
KIA factory TIS except how to replace the whole column. Ouch.. that will be exxie and also 1/2 the dash out to do it
went and spoke to my mate Matt, spare parts guru on KIA at a local dealership and he said...common!
like this is common, a fault that needs the whole column replaced?

Naaah... he says KIA have released an accessory to fix this (it turns out they had to do this as the fault is common)
becuase the power steering servo motor on the column in the official parts listing is 'NSS'- not separately service (in parts land speak)
and
yes, there is a service bulletin that comes with that part, that explains how to spend about 4 hours of your time fixing a clunk and
a clang in their power steering . And no, NOT the whole dash out nor the column as it turns (although they do recommend that for ease of
alignment of the steering sensor)
So yes, it is done.. no clunk or clang and 4 hours under a dash

pic shows what you have to get to (red arrow points at servo motor involved)

View attachment 269522

and inside it all? is the servo motor gear drive insulator. New versus used original. $9 of grief ! No wonder it went & allowed the gears to clang

View attachment 269523
Known problem where Kia/Hyundai America have an extended warranty campaign for this very issue. In the land of the free, the rubber MDPS steering damper (star shaped rubber damper) is covered for 10 years or 100,000 miles on a large number of Kia & Hyundai models (some models have a different damper arrangement but SSDD) :oops:

LHD or RHD doesn’t make any difference as the material tje damper was made from was faulty. Typical stupid parts numbering strategy where the revised part has the same part number FFS :oops:

Sh1t job but not a complex one so relatively easy to DIY.

The only issue is you may get the ABS lamp being light up post repair. That’s because of the system may detect the need for a steering angle calibration. Ignore the programming tool and just start the car, then turn steering wheel fully left and fully right a few times, switch car off and then back on and ABS lamp should go off and all is AOK…

Guess it’s a toss up between fixing it yourself and making an ACL stat warranty claim. DIY is less of a headfuck :rolleyes:

Sadly, Kia/Hyundai Australia just don’t give a sh1t and claim that there is nothing wrong with their product (why revise a part that is durable?). They say it’s just normal wear and tear while ignoring what occurred in USA. So you’re on your own… Supposedly a $550 dealer repair, almost wholly labour. The only part needed is a $20AUD rubber damper oddly the same part is $0.90USD in the land of the free :eek:

Wheres‘s CAV/ACCC when you need them, especially post Kia/Hyundai Court Enforceable Undertaking for them to not be sh1tbags :mad:

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute & VF SSV Redline II
Didn’t do a single thing because it’s freezing ******* cold here!!!

Went out of town yesterday & went into SuoerCheap Auto, never been in one before as we don’t have them near by, I get home & then get an email saying SCA have a sale on, bastard!

Should have grabbed some oil for the VZ SS.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Didn’t do a single thing because it’s freezing ******* cold here!!!

Went out of town yesterday & went into SuoerCheap Auto, never been in one before as we don’t have them near by, I get home & then get an email saying SCA have a sale on, bastard!

Should have grabbed some oil for the VZ SS.
As the resident family backyard mechanic with 4, perviously 5 cars...... (until the boys Patrol was written off), Supercheap is like my second home

Everytime they have a sale I grab oils, filters, and everything else that they require for servicing and maintenance, I've got a big old locker that is full of stuff ready to go

It's funny when I walk in as most staff know me by my first name, they ask which of my cars I'm shopping parts for, and some remember my phone number

As such, even if the stuff I need isn't on special there I give them the part number or brand of the stuff I want and they always do a online search on all the parts for the lowest prices offered by their competitors and other websites and either match, and/or occasionally beat their prices

My last purchase of 4 new DBA calipers for the MX5 was around $600 off RRP from what Repco wanted online for them, and they actually beat "Automotive Superstore" who was having a sale by a few dollars

In saying this, I've spent many many thousands of dollars at my local SCA shop over the years, I assume they give me some super duper trade discount for being a regular customer who always fills a trolley with stuff

Whilst they may not know all the parts I require off hand, and still ask me for my rego numbers to check on my part numbers I'm asking about, with my due diligence of doing research prior to find competitive prices, they are great at their job confirming part numbers and availability, and always go the extra yard to help me, I rate my local SCA store and it's staff highly

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I recall reading a trick used by others when using spray cans. They said to let off a small amount of paint (say 20%? So the can has only 80%?). Then put the can into hot water. That way you get the good results from a hot can, without the risks associated from heating it too much and over pressurising it. It’s only something I read, but not my firsthand experience.
No need to let any paint off. Just heat the cans in hot water. It was a game changer for me. I’ll try find the results the first time I did it. I’ve posted on here about it before. I saw the Hackshop Garage lads do it. Gave it a go and now will never not do it.