Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just had a look and no details in the listing. Doesn't mention if they suit the weight of a twin hump or if it's a flat tonneau. This is the issue I have come against before. No one mentions the NM in their listings. I will see what price they are at Rare Spares. They might only be $60, which is the total at Nitrolift.

Edit, just messaged them through their contact page to see if they are suited to a twin hump.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looks like RS should have some. They just don't advertise their prices online except a few tool catalogues. Try to remember to ring them this week and see if they can give me a price, so I can compare them to Nitrolift.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
didn't do anything to my car....
but did fix a steering issue in the grandies KIA Cerato yesterday arvo

Last weekend she came around and said the steering was not working well, had slack. noisy too
like when you turned the wheel off centre (either way) it had slackness and then went clunk.... then clang

yeah... sounds serious so I took it around the block and it went clunk...clang (sorta metal hitting metal clang)
so
first... what sort of steering? Kia used on the Cerato manual steering( like VB Commodores) and power steering
...2 types when I dug out the KIA TIS I had for this, both hydraulic (like lots of cars) and electric.. column based assist.
(not rack based like VF Commodore)

so her Cerato?... had to be the more difficult of them didn't it! Electric column based assist... and nothing much in the
KIA factory TIS except how to replace the whole column. Ouch.. that will be exxie and also 1/2 the dash out to do it
went and spoke to my mate Matt, spare parts guru on KIA at a local dealership and he said...common!
like this is common, a fault that needs the whole column replaced?

Naaah... he says KIA have released an accessory to fix this (it turns out they had to do this as the fault is common)
becuase the power steering servo motor on the column in the official parts listing is 'NSS'- not separately service (in parts land speak)
and
yes, there is a service bulletin that comes with that part, that explains how to spend about 4 hours of your time fixing a clunk and
a clang in their power steering . And no, NOT the whole dash out nor the column as it turns (although they do recommend that for ease of
alignment of the steering sensor)
So yes, it is done.. no clunk or clang and 4 hours under a dash

pic shows what you have to get to (red arrow points at servo motor involved)

1719129000996.png

and inside it all? is the servo motor gear drive insulator. New versus used original. $9 of grief ! No wonder it went & allowed the gears to clang

20240622_153508.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Now to get it tuned?

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
Now to get it tuned?
I need to suss the crank pulley/balancer out first. It has a bit of a wobble to it, more than it had prior and more than I'm comfortable with. Haven't looked into it but hoping it's nothing major.

I couldn't get it all the way to Arp bolt torque but looked like it went all the way home when I pulled it on with a stud install tool. I want to borrow the big boy torque wrench from work and see if it makes a difference.

Unless somehow it was damaged during removal/install, not 100% certain.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I need to suss the crank pulley/balancer out first. It has a bit of a wobble to it, more than it had prior and more than I'm comfortable with. Haven't looked into it but hoping it's nothing major.

I couldn't get it all the way to Arp bolt torque but looked like it went all the way home when I pulled it on with a stud install tool. I want to borrow the big boy torque wrench from work and see if it makes a difference.

Unless somehow it was damaged during removal/install, not 100% certain.
Did you use the right puller? If it's still factory balancer it could just be that it's worn out. Pretty common issue with factory balancers failing and becoming wobbly. I replaced mine while I was replacing the crank seal as it was unknown mileage and unknown if it was factory balancer or Powerbond.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Been trying to dry out Mr24's BMW. A lot of water inside the car after the last storm, it looks like a door drain was blocked and the water has worked it's way into the car drivers foot well area (facing down hill).

• Sad
Reactions: Lex

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
Did you use the right puller? If it's still factory balancer it could just be that it's worn out. Pretty common issue with factory balancers failing and becoming wobbly. I replaced mine while I was replacing the crank seal as it was unknown mileage and unknown if it was factory balancer or Powerbond.
It was just a cheapy but can't see it damaging it on removal. Hoping it's just not 100% home. It's only got 17k on it from new so wouldn't think it's worn, definitely didn't have this much wobble prior to removing it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240623_194958_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240623_194958_eBay.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 13