Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
My Ryobi lost its variable speed function. I dropped it in to see if it could be repaired no, can't source the part needed. Then the other day fo some reason can't remember why I cranked it up and the switch was working again. Not sure of they got it working or if it started working by itself.

We have been through winter and it may have had a bit of moisture and corrosion on the switch contact?

Nickhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE (i think)
All my mods are cosmetic but have added in the last two weeks:
Engine Cover (previous owner somehow lost original)
Radio Knob (previous owner somehow lost it)
Radiator Cover
Mudflaps (front only so far)
Bottom front sports armour

Previous touch ups were the window visors, bonnett visor, KC Chiefs decals ::D

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1066.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1066.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 109
  • thumbnail_IMG_1065.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1065.jpg
    686.1 KB · Views: 109
  • thumbnail_IMG_1064.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1064.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 121

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Finally fitted my new cam into the motor....Got the sads when I was putting the timing case to sump gasket in place, as it was being a pain.....Motor is in the car after all....

Hopefully tomorrow everything runs smoothly and I can fire it up to run it in, without the neighbours complaining too much ...Got to get an exhaust system done yet :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Went to adjust the rockers and couldn't find my allen key....I swore it went back in the set. Of course I have 2 other sets, but the size is 5.5 MM and my other sets have 5 MM and 6 MM no 5.5MM....So great start to the day.

To top the day off, some asshole nicked my radiator....So that really pissed me off....I have new young neighbours so I suspect they had a hand in it, but can't prove it....So whilst I was calming down, I decided to tidy a few things up in the engine bay, then chased up another allen key....

Anyways, today I have a 2 hour round trip to collect another radiator, so fingers crossed everything goes to plan and I finally get the engine running....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Update time....Got my radiator...30 day warranty for a 3 core...Needs a lick of paint as it has been sitting in the weather for more years than the wrecker can remember....The fins are in top condition...Rub the hands across them and they stay put...None missing either...Paid $100, so pretty bloody good me thinks

I also managed to fire the motor up....Another bonus....Annoyed the neighbours for 1/2 hour while I ran the cam in, with no exhaust system :D Next step is adjust the rockers properly.....They are still rattly.....Timing also needs a fine tune, as it was a case of I dropped the dizzy in, put it where I thought it'd fire straight up, when it was on TDC and low and behold, it fired 4th crank over....So I left it running and didn't stuff round with setting it properly ....

All in all, impressed how things fell into place today, especially after the last couple of days......Now, onto the next step, which I'm unsure of at this stage....

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Thermal stuff on headers to knock down under bonnet temps

Aluminium composite stuff to aid in radiator and all the rest in the stacks efficiency

I did some wool tuft testing and found that most of the incoming air bypassed the stack and dived under the car

Underbonnet temps are noticeably down, as for the undertray, now that the undertray is in, there is only one place for the incoming air to go, and that is through the stack.

Were these mods necessary, well, probably not, but thermal protection is always nice, and from my days of playing race cars, I couldn't not do the undertray
20201221_124715_resized.jpg
20201221_124234_resized.jpg
20201221_173739_resized.jpg
20201214_152040_resized.jpg

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Painted chasers, pity I need to wait till February 21 for the new 235/60 ET streets
20201223_145022_resized.jpg