Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
dropped radiator off, its well past gone. Complete rebuild required. $785 for the rebuild vs $715 for a similar (not the same) new replacement unit.

the replacement filler neck is not in the same location, so true to my need to be a complete w***er when it comes to this car, I am paying the extra $80 to have mine completely rebuilt so I keep the original filler neck.

I am quite surprised by the cost.....I would have thought with mine being more uncommon, compared to yours, it would have been more expensive, rather than half the price you were quoted....

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I am quite surprised by the cost.....I would have thought with mine being more uncommon, compared to yours, it would have been more expensive, rather than half the price you were quoted....
did the VC run a 3 core set up? I think that's what is driving price here. I'm fuzzy on the early girls.

the specific bend for the HSVs trans coolers wasn't on all models, so there are a few types of V8 3 core rads, and I would say no cooler, and standard cooler locations would be more common than the HSV/Statesman versions.

even when pulling down the statesmans that came through our yard they were the standard cooler type fittings more often rather than the bent ones. So likely replaced with the more common/cheaper type as they failed?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
did the VC run a 3 core set up? I think that's what is driving price here. I'm fuzzy on the early girls.

the specific bend for the HSVs trans coolers wasn't on all models, so there are a few types of V8 3 core rads, and I would say no cooler, and standard cooler locations would be more common than the HSV/Statesman versions.

even when pulling down the statesmans that came through our yard they were the standard cooler type fittings more often rather than the bent ones. So likely replaced with the more common/cheaper type as they failed?

They came with both 2 and 3 core rads.....I bought a 3 core as apparently that's all they make these days...

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Reasons why I am working on something most weekends - 4 out of our 6 5L vehicles hiding in this photo

I promise I am also doing work today, not just taking selfies

Attachments

• 520A21B5-37A0-46A9-B0AC-A953C5ED289F.jpeg
    520A21B5-37A0-46A9-B0AC-A953C5ED289F.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 73

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Reactions: Lex

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Replaced heater tap and a crunchy heater hose along with the top and bottom radiator hoses whilst putting a spare radiator in ready for the power flush on Tuesday.

Painted the bracket for the cruise control again, used heat proof paint this time, should last longer than the last paint job on it.

Once you start pulling stuff off, the original job takes 3 times as long as I’m cleaning and replacing all sorts of random crap as I find it.

This started with tracking down a trans fluid leak and I’ve pulled apart half of the cooling system instead