Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

fireballv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 1 Berlina wagon
What busted on the barrel? I didn't think it was that hard to get one out. I replaced my switch the other week and it took me less than 30mins and was basically one step less than removing the barrel as well.
The Berlina had broken the key barrel shaft into the switch, so pulled it out according to the workshop manual, and the barrel had broken the leg looking thing on the end, as well as the shaft. The Calais I pulled out, both were stiff to remove, and the leg thing had broken as well. Bought a new one for Berlina, and it wouldn't go all the way in, cause the steering lock mech would not stay all the way down, to let the leg go all the way in. I had to remove the whole steering lock, push the locking pin right down with my finger, then the barrel went in. so now I know I broke both cars barrel leg by gently leaving out. the locking mech needs pushing all the way down.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I replaced the coolant hose from water pump to intake mani. And I did it real quick so as not to loose too much coolant.

Looking at old hose, it had a split under the clamp and thats why it leaked when hot.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I replaced the coolant hose from water pump to intake mani. And I did it real quick so as not to loose too much coolant.

Looking at old hose, it had a split under the clamp and thats why it leaked when hot.

Does the V8 have the same sort of hose as V6? Sounds like it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Does the V8 have the same sort of hose as V6? Sounds like it.

The 3800V6 does but the later ecotec V6 doesn't as it just uses the 4 way heater hose tap as the bypass.

I deleted the bypass hose on my old V6 and just used the 4 way heater tap like the ecotec's, engine heated up faster from a cold start and the cooling system was more efficient once hot (would see the engine temp drop when the thermofan came on).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine has a little S hose. Does the V8 have manifold adapters on the rear of the manifold as well as the front? V6 has one at the back of the manifold and it was an absolute mongrel to remove as it had snapped inside trying to carefully remove it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Nope, that's a V6 special that hose. You can get new replacment brass fitting to replace the broken plastic one.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I replaced it with a brass front and back. Don't ever want to go through the same saga with the rear one ever again.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
The only plastic on the V8 cooling system is the heater tap and a joiner in the heater return line.
Both very easy to access