Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you think is wrong with the world?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
####en adults chasing pokemon on their phones, like seriously do you not have anything better to do..

Too true , mind you ,it'll get the lazy sods off their arses and out walking at least

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Too sober for this thread right now. Will check back in at some stage and then the world will be fixed with 1 easy post :)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Agree with everything you said, especially this part.

We played outside from sun up to sun down, even in the snow. My family never owned a TV until I was 13, all I had in my room was games and books, lots of books. If I couldn't go outside for whatever reason, I read for hours and hours.
This is a really good point - life is definitely better now isn't it?

This world is too sensitive and PC. You can't joke anymore or say much for fear of offending someone.
I think this is a big one.
And frankly, I suspect Straya is worse at this than most of the world.
Now, a lot of bigoted & generally unpleasant people say the same, as an excuse to be bigoted & generally unpleasant. There's no valid excuse for being bigoted & generally unpleasant, or saying things that offend people just because you're too stupid to know you're doing it. However - there are really big issues in Western (Strayan?) society with people actively looking for things to be offended by.
It's this attitude that gets Sydney lock-out laws (happy I'm not involved in a small business in food/drink anywhere near Sydney's CBD) that destroy the positives of living in a city & hurt businesses & move problems elsewhere.
It's this attitude that allows Harold Scruby to suckle at the public teat & live his whole life at our expense without ever doing a job, while ensuring anyone involved in road safety is spending effort looking away from where actual road safety issues exist.
It's insidious, it's all-pervasive, and it seems to be some really nasty part of the human psyche to need something to get upset over. Be happy, people, stop looking for ways to be miserable so that you can enjoy smacking-down the person you've convinced yourself to be offended by ...

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
This is a really good point - life is definitely better now isn't it?

yes & no.
Yes we have some great new technology now to access things we could only dream of when we were kids. I can research stuff on the net for all my hobbies, including cars, my R/C helicopters etc. I get get access to information and assistance from like minded people from all over the world, all from the comfort of my own home. I can buy stuff from all over the world with a few keystrokes. I have an online library at my finger tips, I can research just about anything. Drag up my old favourite 80's video clips/songs on Youtube. I can cook a meal in a microwave in around 60 seconds. I can watch movies in the comfort of my own loungeroom on a big screen, complete with full surround sound.
And for those of us who did grow up in those generations, we tend to appreciate modern technology, but can still live without a lot of it. We can entertain ourselves.

But look at a lot of the current generation, many are unhealthily addicted to technology.
Walk around like zombies staring at phones or screens playing console games. If there's no phone reception, or power points to plug in the playstation, they are completely lost.
My g/f's daughter went on a boat cruise with her to North Qld, Great Barrier Reef etc. Throughout much of the cruise there was no phone reception. G/F loved it, she just laid back with a book, on the deck of the boat, relaxing, enjoyed the scenery. Her daughter drove her nuts because she couldn't use her phone. She was bored...... They just can't self entertain anymore.

We went to a concert last night. Half the crowd were texting, facebooking on their phones while the artists were performing..... We were thinking WTF!!! Why even bother going to a live concert if you can't put the f**ing phone down for a few hours. It's like the phone is surgically attached. I can see the day where there are going to be rehab clinics for people addicted to phones.

People also now EXPECT you to be contactable everywhere you go. I refuse to carry my phone around with me on weekends (unless there is a specific reason I need to be contactable or I need to make contact), but apparently everyone else does. So they get annoyed when they can't get hold of me for a few hours on a weekend. It is also now difficult to leave work at work, because it now follows us home with our portable devices.

In many regards we have become a slave to technology.

So is it better now ? In some regards yes, others no....

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Well said ^^^^^

My boss still can't fathom the idea that when I'm at home I'm not sitting around waiting for him to call me. When I'm at home my mobile sits on the cabinet and stays there until I either go out or go to work. I also don't take the bloody thing into the bedroom. Nothing in life is so critically important. If something is that urgent the right people know how to contact me.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Nothing in life is so critically important. If something is that urgent the right people know how to contact me.

This.

I don't even have a mobile. People who need to contact me know how to contact me.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
This.

I don't even have a mobile. People who need to contact me know how to contact me.
One day something happened and after that I got a mobile which I only use every now and then.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Well said ^^^^^

My boss still can't fathom the idea that when I'm at home I'm not sitting around waiting for him to call me. When I'm at home my mobile sits on the cabinet and stays there until I either go out or go to work. I also don't take the bloody thing into the bedroom. Nothing in life is so critically important. If something is that urgent the right people know how to contact me.

I hate mobile phones.....As part of my job, I am on call 24/7 so I carry it around with me.....Once 1 deliberately didn't take it with me, as I had a party to attend and wanted to enjoy it for once.....Of course there was half a dozen missed calls when I got back home, because someone got a flat and needed help....

Come Monday morning, the boss had already knew I didn't attend the call out and proceeded to have a dummy spit at me, for not attending.....My response to him was, I need to have some sort of life and attending a family party was more bloody important than some stupid flat tyre. If he doesn't like it, he can shove his job up his coit....And with that I proceeded to walk out the building.....

Needless to say, he called me back into the workshop and apologised to me, for wanting to have a life outside work and said he'd never have a spit like that again.....That was 2 years ago and he has kept his word...And more importantly, I have "forgotten" to take the phone with me a few times so I could enjoy a party, with out the interruption of a bloody mobile phone

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
In my job, as we are essentially a crisis service we have a 24 hour number. I have the number diverted to my phone one week in 6. I get an allowance, and very generous rates for a callout. Twice i have had a person identifying as homeless call, and i have had to secure emergency accommodation for them.

But however i find smartphones very useful. Banking on the run, finding addresses in the field, movie and tv times. Social media is useful, i can keep in touch with a range of people who i normally wouldnt. Restoring the Volvo without access to eBay, iPd or skandix would have been problematic.