Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What engine oil?

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Ive learnt over the years to take what Holden says with a grain of salt. Their warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on. Maybe other people have a different opinion, I'm speaking from my own experience. Holden recommend I run 32 psi in my tyres. Do i? Hell no. Holden recommend I change my oil every 15000km. Do I? Hell no. Holden say I can run my car on E10. Do I? Hell no. Holden say I should put 5w 30 in my car. Do I? Hell no. Do I take my car to Holden for servicing? Hell no. I think you get my point. Just because they manufacture the car doesn't mean they are the be all and end all. Thats just what I think.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The only engine noise I get is the noise you're meant to get from a V8! No rattles, knocks, whines - nuthin - sweet as a nut. Plenty of all the above from just about everywhere else though! lol but those are totally unrelated to my choice of engine oil!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
You certainly have a point, lease - but when things go wrong, which they will/are, I like to have the option of NOT paying for it to be fixed when it is not my fault. My dealer has been servicing it recently as there have been warranty claims - will that continue after the warranty is finished?.. unsure. Until then, with the amount of irritating niggles I'm having at the moment, I'll be following the handbook.

Incidentally - what tyre pressure are you running and what size tyres? 32 sounds pretty close to me. As for the E10 - holden says you CAN run on it.. but I don't even put that in my lawn mower! lol. I think the 15,000km oil change interval is largely due to the oil manufacturers claims with the fully synthetic products. The oil is allegedly good for that sort of distance - sadly, I don't think the filters are. I use the handbook as a minimum recommendation.

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
I run 40psi at the moment. Standard VE SSV 19's. I'm experimenting with various pressures and tyre wear.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
When I was running on the factory bridgestones, on standard SS 18s, I was using around 38psi per corner. Those tyres lasted me barely 16,000kms and they had a 2 inch wide bald strip right around the middle of each tyre - were blatantly over inflated. I'm sitting between 30 and 32psi (18s are recommended at 34psi according to the placard) at the moment on the advice from my tyre fitter for this brand and they seem to be wearing pretty evenly and lasting A LOT longer - which is odd, because they're quite a soft compound.

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
I have 30000km on my bridgy re05a at the moment, they probably have about 15000km left in em, so 40psi is working ok for me so far. I dont baby them either

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I think it's funny how similar products work so differently for each application. I will not buy bridgestones again because they just didn't last and i am NOT going to pay for bridgestones every 16,000km - didn't baby them but I'm also not doing circle work. Would be one thing if it was just the rears and I'd been smashing it, but the front tyres were gone as well. Just very interesting to me how varied build quality can be on something that is allegedly built to a standard.

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Im gonna put cheapies on next and see what happens. 245 35 19 for $115. Accelera is the brand.