Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Oil do you use for a L77 6.0Ltr

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
In my l77 atm because i had it spare or you can go gf-5 sw-30

15913520041334086544939639271963.jpg
5W-40 for Petrol and Diesel with Dexos 2. WOW the 6.0 ltr last with anything. For me at least if I used 5W-40 I would use a oil for Petrol only and have Dexos 1 rating not 2. Maybe I'm too fussy. Maybe the Dexos is a Marketing ploy?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
GM is not clear what differences exist between the DEXOS spec and the industry standard spec but if you want to label the oil you sell with DEXOS “brand”, have your check book handy...

Marketing ploy, nah, more like extortion...

As is, DEXOS2 supposedly has more cleaning agents in it...

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
GM is not clear what differences exist between the DEXOS spec and the industry standard spec but if you want to label the oil you sell with DEXOS “brand”, have your check book handy...

Marketing ploy, nah, more like extortion...

As is, DEXOS2 supposedly has more cleaning agents in it...

Extortion is right.

Many oil companies fought against it for some time but in the end caved into market forces as the average punter firmly believes if a company like GM says to use only DEXOS branded oils or your car with go 'Supernova' then nothing but an oil with the DEXOS brand is suitable for their vehicle when the truth is the opposite.

Oil companies fell into line and paid GM for certification and use of the DEXOS label just so they could access the huge market dominated by owner's who don't know any better.

A massive windfall for GM.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Can’t go wrong with Penrite hpr 5 mate which is 5w40 I run it in my L98 and is good

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I also run Penrite 5W-30 in my L77 VE
and
Penrite 5W-40 in my L67 VY.
And I also keep an eye on the specials at Supercheap and Repco,
and I don't bother with that other store that start with an "A", and we know what the "A" also stands for.
But I get my Filters off eBay, and usually buy in bulk.

PS: I know its a late message, but just added for general information.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Extortion is right.... the average punter firmly believes if a company like GM says to use only DEXOS branded oils or your car with go 'Supernova' then nothing but an oil with the DEXOS brand is suitable ...

Oil companies fell into line and paid GM for certification and use of the DEXOS label just so they could access the huge market dominated by owner's who don't know any better.

A massive windfall for GM.
Yeah, I wouldn’t blame the average punter per se. The law works against owners in this instance. If you take the manufacturer to court/tribunal over a denied warranty claim due to the oil you’ve used and you can’t prove that the industry standard oil you’ve used meets or exceeds the mandated Dexos stuff, then you’re in the poo. Proving is hard without oil tests and whiteness being present which costs considerably more than just bending over and taking the extortion shafting :eek:

It’s sad that the law protects such tyres of extortion :oops:

Oil companies should state “exceeds Dexos1” as they are not saying it’s a certified Dexos oil and can this do a runaround of the GM extortion. It’s one way to stand up to the bully that GM is in this instance :)

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Yeah, I wouldn’t blame the average punter per se. The law works against owners in this instance. If you take the manufacturer to court/tribunal over a denied warranty claim due to the oil you’ve used and you can’t prove that the industry standard oil you’ve used meets or exceeds the mandated Dexos stuff, then you’re in the poo. Proving is hard without oil tests and whiteness being present which costs considerably more than just bending over and taking the extortion shafting :eek:

It’s sad that the law protects such tyres of extortion :oops:

Oil companies should state “exceeds Dexos1” as they are not saying it’s a certified Dexos oil and can this do a runaround of the GM extortion. It’s one way to stand up to the bully that GM is in this instance :)

I thought if GM denied warranty they had to prove the oil wasn't to standard and not you having to prove it is.

The reason no such cases exist is because GM would never allow a court case to proceed without early settlement and risk letting the cat out of the bag.

They'd kill the goose that lays the golden egg if the public became aware there are many oils that do the job and/or exceed the specs required.

The other reason is many people and Australians in particular don't have a good understanding of their consumer rights and are easily intimidated at the first hurdle and wouldn't dream of talking back or taking on a powerful multinational.

But none of that changes the fact that GM work on the principle that most owners believe the manufacturer knows better.

I still shake my head at the number of new car owners who I hear say if they don't get their vehicles serviced at the dealership then their warranties are null and void.

Companies like GM start with a captive audience and along with the dealerships they spin and stretch the truth from there.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Cartification or no certificatio $10 bucks a litre is hardly expensive for synth oil. Most of the time i get it for 35 bucks for 5L when on special anyway...

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
5W-40 for Petrol and Diesel with Dexos 2. WOW the 6.0 ltr last with anything. For me at least if I used 5W-40 I would use a oil for Petrol only and have Dexos 1 rating not 2. Maybe I'm too fussy. Maybe the Dexos is a Marketing ploy?
I just ignore the Dexos label altogether. For example, I've been using Valvoline Synpower 5W40 in my Alloytec for almost ten years. It's done almost 280,000 and runs like new. This oil does not carry a Dexos label. Now the thing I found most interesting is that Valvoline reccomends the same oil for our other car, a turbo diesel. That tells me it has excellent cleaning power. So it seems the dexos label is mainly naming rights paid to GM and all you get for that is increased costs to you to service your car. And personally I just don't trust 5W30 oil. It's the thinnest oil on the chart of suitable oils listed in the Holden owners manual. I think it's well suited for shirt gentle drives to the shops. For me who uses the car for all sorts of things including towing and 10 hour holiday trips I want something more heavy duty and the 5w40 does a beautiful job. I doubt the 6 litre is any different.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I just ignore the Dexos label altogether. For example, I've been using Valvoline Synpower 5W40 in my Alloytec for almost ten years. It's done almost 280,000 and runs like new. This oil does not carry a Dexos label. Now the thing I found most interesting is that Valvoline reccomends the same oil for our other car, a turbo diesel. That tells me it has excellent cleaning power. So it seems the dexos label is mainly naming rights paid to GM and all you get for that is increased costs to you to service your car. And personally I just don't trust 5W30 oil. It's the thinnest oil on the chart of suitable oils listed in the Holden owners manual. I think it's well suited for shirt gentle drives to the shops. For me who uses the car for all sorts of things including towing and 10 hour holiday trips I want something more heavy duty and the 5w40 does a beautiful job. I doubt the 6 litre is any different.
Yes Considering I drive very short runs like 2k for local shops or our main Shops is 10k away and that it for all the V6's we have. As for the caprice 6.0 ltr as it stand I have never driven it past 25K (wheel alignment) and that it. The Main km I have done on it is the Wheel Alignment, Getting the Maps/Radio S/W updated from Holden stealership (no new map for the Caprice) and when I purchased the car 10K away and that it and because with this covid stuff it has keep me home. Yesterday I did another UGLY job on the Caprice and that it to clean the outside of the Stainless steel exhaust pipe. Yes It was Rusted yet it stainless all because the car has live all it life 2k away from the ocean. What I did I lifted the car on 4 points with stands and I went under and painted the exhaust with so RUST killer from bunnings and that got rid of 90% of the rust on the pipes then I hoses it off properly. Yes I'm still after a mid/centre pipe from a HSV maloo ute and if and when I will get one I will do the same on the grass and that will be 100% easier to do.