Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Should the Correct Battery Voltage Be?

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
Cheers. I'm looking forward to this.

RichardSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Sorry about the tardy reply, work keeps me busy (but does pay for my ride, so...)

Turned out the battery was a dud and (eventually) was replaced.

Everything great now but wow, when the juice gets low, the car dies in all sorts of modern ways (mylink won't turn off / music can't be stopped, etc.)

Thanks all for your replies and fingers crossed that's the only issue I'll have.

R.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
The VF (and VE) don't just charge at a set 14.x volts, there is an algorithm that charges the battery at varying rates dependant on many factors (electrical load, headlights on, engine load etc).

I've watched mine charge at 15.2 volts down to 12 volts.

Live in SEQ Brisbane area. ( Winter has been cool/cold, but car under cover at night about 8c minimum in my opinion).

Have seen 15V on the dashboard display over the last weeks. Must admit doing some short runs.
It did drop to 14.8 and 14.7 on occasions.

Had the car with the dealer last week and queried if 15V on the display was anything to be concerned about.
I stipulated Battery life, Components, computerized components, ECM etc. in my query. (Thinking towards warranty replacement. Battery warranty is 1 year, mine expires 23 September 2016).

The Service Consultant said up to 16V is normal.

Gone is the 14.8V standard - now a software standard.

Last edited: