Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What speakers should i buy?

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
ive gone to multiple places but they are all telling me different things,
firstly i have a vs commodore once my amps in the rear speakers will be amped aswell as my sub ( i have one of those 150$ pioneer ones dual 2 ohm or summin or 4? i dunno but anyway.
first place i went they said just get 6 inch so i can put them in teh stock holes, second place said get 6x9's in box's third place said get 6 1/2's and try make them fit and for the front they all recomended splits, i was thinking of maybe buying type s alpines? , or i could go for the same level jvc, what i got recomended a few tiems over the alpines, or i could get mtx?? ive had mtx speakers befor and i think their good value for money! or pioneers! what should i get guys? around 160$ for the rear under 200 for the front? what do you guys think?
also should i spend more moeny in the front and amp them, or should i spend more on 6x9's in teh rear or should i get just 6 inch componant speakers in the back? i have no idea =]
in my last car i just had 2 year speakers (hyundai excell) except it was a small car and sounded good with the mtx 6 1/2 inch speakers in the rear (i still have them speakers in teh excell i could take them out if i wanted) but i doubt that they would fit! any help would be apreciated?
Matt:p

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Ideally, since you sit in the front, you should spend more money on the front speakers. Many people don't even bother with rear speakers if they have really good front speakers, but since you're buying budget gear, you'd probably benefit a bit from rears.

Just buy whatever fits the rear holes, which I think is 6". Some 2-way coaxials from any brand that sounds good to you will suit. For the fronts, splits will give you better sound, but make sure you listen to them before buying. Out of the one's you listed, Alpine would be at the top for me but there are other less common brands out there that sound better.

If you get splits, amplify them... They will sound totally different from an amp. It's also a good idea to seal and deaden your front doors to make the speakers sound better as well.

LJS-UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY6 Ute
spend a little bit extra on your front speakers, go the Alpine type R's, if your not up for the type R's, dont stick with the Alpine Type S's, there are better speakers than the Alpine Type S's for that price range. With the back do you plan on running a sub or subs? if you do, dont worry about 6x9's just stick with 6-6 1/2's, most 6x9's are more of a low end speaker combination from what i have found/heard, if your running sub(s) there is no need for any more low end in my opinion.

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
spend a little bit extra on your front speakers, go the Alpine type R's, if your not up for the type R's, dont stick with the Alpine Type S's, there are better speakers than the Alpine Type S's for that price range. With the back do you plan on running a sub or subs? if you do, dont worry about 6x9's just stick with 6-6 1/2's, most 6x9's are more of a low end speaker combination from what i have found/heard, if your running sub(s) there is no need for any more low end in my opinion.

ok im thinking maybe alpine type r splits in teh front and maybe can you get type r 2way in the back? 6 inch oens is that possible also howmuch would the splits set me back?

LJS-UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY6 Ute
i drive a ute and i run 2 sets of alpine type R, 6 1/2" splits, i only did this because of the small cab space, it was just as easy to run wires to my amp for 2 sets of splits as it is to run co-ax seakers. most people generally run splits at the fronts and co-ax speakers at the back. i got two type R packs for $500 as a deal from JB. 4 speakers, 4 tweeters and 4 networks. Whereas you would be looking at getting 2 splits, 2 tweeters and 2 networks AND 2 co-ax speakers for the back. Check out the alpine site for more...

Alpine Electronics of Australia

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
i drive a ute and i run 2 sets of alpine type R, 6 1/2" splits, i only did this because of the small cab space, it was just as easy to run wires to my amp for 2 sets of splits as it is to run co-ax seakers. most people generally run splits at the fronts and co-ax speakers at the back. i got two type R packs for $500 as a deal from JB. 4 speakers, 4 tweeters and 4 networks. Whereas you would be looking at getting 2 splits, 2 tweeters and 2 networks AND 2 co-ax speakers for the back. Check out the alpine site for more...

Alpine Electronics of Australia

howmuch rms could i put into them befor they blewup? or whats a good amount? howmuch do you ahve going to them?

LJS-UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY6 Ute
the splits peak at 220w, the co-ax's peak at 200w, i run all four off a jaycar 400w 4 channel amp, definately loud enough in a ute cabin, however a sedan, i would probarbly run a little bit more, its really up to personal preference

WhiteVS

Stockish
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sacked VT Berlina
Yeah get some splits up front and go for either 6" or 6" 1/2. 6" 1/2 fit easily into the rear.
Amp the splits and the sub, just run the rears off the head unit.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
peak rating are crap. they dont mean anything.

try to run the speakers at the RMS power rating. no more no less. try to stick to that as close as possible.

IMO i would leave the rears stock and spend all my money on split speakers for the front with a 2 channel amp for them. you will get the best possible sound and because you have spend around 400-500 you will hear that they fill the car without need for rears.

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
peak rating are crap. they dont mean anything.

try to run the speakers at the RMS power rating. no more no less. try to stick to that as close as possible.

IMO i would leave the rears stock and spend all my money on split speakers for the front with a 2 channel amp for them. you will get the best possible sound and because you have spend around 400-500 you will hear that they fill the car without need for rears.

my amps rateing is 80 wrms per channel and it has 4? is that ok? sounded great in my last car (its not a to dear amp) does the job?
what do you think of pioneer splits? tehre 180$?