Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to buy to replace the ZB?

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
The EV owners say it cheaper to charge them at night, that is utter BS,
The cost per KW/H is charged at the same 24 hours a day, [called Day Rate]

The only cost difference per KW/H, is electric hot water storage systems, [Night Rate]
as they are charged at an off peak rate, btwn say 11pm and 7am [depends on how the clock is set]

It costs me approx. $80 p/w to go to work with a 120k/m round trip each day
[approx. 50min commute each way, 60k's, Wed - Fri] to the Mornington Peninsula, and that's in the Adventra.
With a smart meter, you're not locked into one rate all day.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

over here our meters smart or not feed into the same rail so the meter has no way of telling what circuit is using the power, it could be a lightbulb or a hws.

it looks like krusing is saying that over where they are their smart meters only provide offpeak for the hws circuit, if that is the case then that is crazy and provides no real benefit to the consumer especially if you have a gas hws or instantaneous/continuous electric hws.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
are you implying that a "hot water system" is charged at a different rate than the rest of the house at any given time?

i do about 550km per week for work and it is around the $100~$150 mark depending on fuel price but in a ev i could do that without a weekly cost at all so i would be saving that per week but i would be paying that upfront on the higher price of the ev but being a work commuter i should see that upfront cost returned fairly quickly.
Yes, electric water heaters wired into an of peak meter, like in my house, are charged at the of peak rate which is lower than the rate charged for all the power to the rest of the house. So even if I was using a heater or air conditioner all night that used exactly the same amount of power as the water heater I would have to pay more for that per than I did for hearing the water.
In my case, the TV or washing machine for example NEVER runs on off peak power because it can't be legally connected to the if peak meter. So if you ever hear someone saying they do their washing at night to save $$ on their power bills....
Smart meters supposedly change this a little bit although many people cousin their bills go up when they switch to a 'smart meter'.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Yes, electric water heaters wired into an of peak meter, like in my house, are charged at the of peak rate which is lower than the rate charged for all the power to the rest of the house. So even if I was using a heater or air conditioner all night that used exactly the same amount of power as the water heater I would have to pay more for that per than I did for hearing the water.
In my case, the TV or washing machine for example NEVER runs on off peak power because it can't be legally connected to the if peak meter. So if you ever hear someone saying they do their washing at night to save $$ on their power bills....
Smart meters supposedly change this a little bit although many people cousin their bills go up when they switch to a 'smart meter'.

wow that is madness, if i lived over there i know which circuit i would be wiring my ev charger into lol

Reactions: Lex

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
wow that is madness, if i lived over there i know which circuit i would be wiring my ev charger into lol
Yes. And the best part is, rumour has it that the power stations actually produce excess power at night because everyone is asleep and demand drops off but their generators are still going. So they just ground that excess power. In our words just throw it straight out the window rather than slow down the turbine and died it up again in the morning LoL:).
You'd think they would be encouraging people and policy to use that excess power, like EV charging at night, but you know, profits and all that are more important! I would not be surprised if that is true.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
are you implying that a "hot water system" is charged at a different rate than the rest of the house at any given time?

i do about 550km per week for work and it is around the $100~$150 mark depending on fuel price but in a ev i could do that without a weekly cost at all so i would be saving that per week but i would be paying that upfront on the higher price of the ev but being a work commuter i should see that upfront cost returned fairly quickly.

Yes,
there is 2 different tariff’s
Day Tariff,
Off peak tariff
Hence why people had 2 meters in the meter box originally,
But the smart meter can be split for 2 different tariffs.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Yes,
there is 2 different tariff’s
Day Tariff,
Off peak tariff
Hence why people had 2 meters in the meter box originally,
But the smart metered can be split for 2 different tariffs.
yeah greenacc explained it, i didnt realize it was that messed up over east.
our smart meters just connect to a single rail and the whole house runs off that rail divided into its appropriate circuits.

the whole onpeak/offpeak thing over there seems a bit "scammy" if all it applies to is the hws circuit.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

Correct, it does depend on your plan that you have, with your supplier,
But, it’s still not that cheap,
And not cheaper than off peak for your HW unit.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Hey all, just following up on this - after driving a Tesla Model 3 on Friday, I'm almost certain to order one to replace the ZB in the coming days :)

I dont know if it will be a tesla but i am leaning in the same ev direction in the near future.
Since I think Elon Musk is a total nut case and I wouldn't trust him with a cent of my money, I'll probably be looking elsewhere, at something like this when I sell my VXR:

It'll probably have a mid $100k-$200k price tag but if anyone can make an EV drive right, Hyundai can, and the first impressions seem to be promising.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Since I think Elon Musk is a total nut case

lol yeah he is off his head and it is very entertaining watching him destroy twitter :D

but also in regards to teslas most of the people that i have seen own them talk about the poor build quality when compared to other vehicle manufacturers and many reports of tesla the company being pretty sh!t towards the customer in aftersales service but many of the auto manufacturers are like that.

the ioniq does look like a good contender.

pretty much every main manufacturer is now developing an ev lineup so we should start to see some more competition in the near future and then one day...

EV Supercars lol