Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to do about VE V8 AFM Issues?

rickyc12s

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ One Tonner and 2011 VE SV6 S2 Wagon
Hi All,

Just bought myself a 2009 VE Calais V on the cheap because it had an engine light, turns out it's a misfire on cylinder 7 which I'm fairly certain is related to the AFM/Valve lifter.

I've switched the coil packs around and same cylinder plus the issue stops with a good 4k neutral rev for a while, also seems the back of the car is covered in oil (literally just bought it so haven't washed it)

So just wondering what the best option was, I don't care about 'economy' so was thinking just ditch the AFM system all together - Can this be done without removing the hardware?

Current train of thought was do a CAI, Exhaust and tune including ditching the AFM either software only or hardware to (possibly different cams?)

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Gotta take it out by heads off and overhaul, new normal lifters, LS2 valley plate.
Else future proof with later stuff by heads off and overhaul, new AFM lifters, L77 valley plate.
Same really.
Either way is a good opportunity to shave a bit off heads, swap cam for an easy extra 100-150 HP. CAI and exhaust are less significant.

Would love to see a video before you fix it, sounds interesting.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Pop the rocker cover off and see if the rockers are all moving, AFM lifters have a tendency to collapse and the rocker arm wont move if it has failed.

rickyc12s

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the advice Monstar, I'm still sussing options but wouldn't mind keeping the AFM tech as I do alot of HWY driving.

I'll pop the rocker sometime soon hopefully.

Just a couple of updates, the car runs fine about 80% of the time and goes in and out of 4 cylinder mode but doesn't seem to go into 4cyl mode very often. When the engine light comes on and it detects the misfire the engine light flashes until the misfire stops then the engine light goes solid before putting itself out a short time later.

I pulled the spark plug from cylinder 7 today and it looked completely normal, put a new one in and engine light came back - Also changed the oil at the same time with Penrite 5W-30 HPR.

Uploaded a couple of videos, first is when it is misfiring second is when it runs fine.

rickyc12s

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I've confirmed without a doubt that the lifter is completely flapped! I'll get another video but it sounds 100x worse then ever and intermittent misfire has turned into 100% of the time misfire. So next step is to fix it and I'm hoping for a parts list?

So far I believe I'll need:

AFM Lifters x 8 (GM genuine)
Standard Lifters x 8 (GM genuine)
Lifter guides x 4
Head gaskets x 2
Head bolt set x 1
Intake gaskets x 2
Exhaust gaskets x 2

Not sure what else?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
So I've confirmed without a doubt that the lifter is completely flapped! I'll get another video but it sounds 100x worse then ever and intermittent misfire has turned into 100% of the time misfire. So next step is to fix it and I'm hoping for a parts list?

So far I believe I'll need:

AFM Lifters x 8 (GM genuine)
Standard Lifters x 8 (GM genuine)
Lifter guides x 4
Head gaskets x 2
Head bolt set x 1
Intake gaskets x 2
Exhaust gaskets x 2

Not sure what else?
Ricky theres been a few significant improvements to the AFM components over the years, there was a problem identified with the lifters themselves also the Lifter Oil Manifold Assembly.
Here's the latest lifters
versus
DOD20Lifters-2_.jpg
and correct LOMA is L77 2011+ with the squared-off raised ridges not the roundy style you have.
Go GM head gaskets, bolt set, reuse intake seal.

rickyc12s

Reaction score
Members Ride
Got the rockers off today, video below of cylinder 7 rocker play. Safe to say that's my problem.

rickyc12s

Reaction score
Members Ride
Would you happen to have the part numbers for the lifters and the LOMA? I'm seeing a few different types of each and almost everything has to come from the USA to be economically viable.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Would you happen to have the part numbers for the lifters and the LOMA? I'm seeing a few different types of each and almost everything has to come from the USA to be economically viable.
Latest AFM lifter part number in the video I posted above.
AFM lifter failure is caused by faulty LOMA (VLOM) operation. Updated VLOM# 12571609 from GM must be installed with new lifter to prevent future failures and maintain warranty coverage. This costs about $200, eliminates the previous risk with incorrect AFM engagement, and essential when upgrading to a supercharger or performance cam.