Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What would it take to get higher speed limits in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I reckon that there’d be something in that idea. I’d imagine if the police pulled over anyone being silly on the road (tail gating, excessive lane changes, whatever…) and just went though a basic check (licence, basic roadworthy, breath test, drug test) - i.e. just a bit of legal inconvenience to the driver, the driving behaviour might improve dramatically.
Does anyone know of any person fined for failing to 'keep left', failing to 'indicate'? Simple enforceable laws that need police patrolling the roads...
You don't need a 'speeder to cause an accident when failing to indicate...

I just suppose no one has developed a camera for that yet.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Does anyone know of any person fined for failing to 'keep left', failing to 'indicate'? Simple enforceable laws that need police patrolling the roads...
You don't need a 'speeder to cause an accident when failing to indicate...

I just suppose no one has developed a camera for that yet.
Here in Victoria failing to keep left is 2 demerit points while exceeding the speed limit by less than 10km/h is 1 point.
So that tells me it’s deemed a ‘worse’ infringement, but I bet one is issued 10,000:1 compared to the other.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I was overtaken by a cop car driving in the right had lane on the Cunningham Highway. I was travelling at just over 100, he would have been doing about 120. I saw him coming from quite a long way back so I made sure I wasn't giving him an opportunity to nab me. No other traffic on the road and he at no stage moved out of the right hand lane. Guess there was no one who would have given him a ticket.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Many moons ago I was in the right lane in moderate traffic when a cop car came up behind me, I was travelling within the limit and after a few moments he flicked on his lights, I indicate to move left and he accelerates past me and turned his lights off again, then also moves left and takes the next off ramp in front of me.

That particular copper is well known in the community, I won't say any more.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I was overtaken by a cop car driving in the right had lane on the Cunningham Highway. I was travelling at just over 100, he would have been doing about 120. I saw him coming from quite a long way back so I made sure I wasn't giving him an opportunity to nab me. No other traffic on the road and he at no stage moved out of the right hand lane. Guess there was no one who would have given him a ticket.
wouldnt surprise me if the cop was on his phone also, they seem to multitask quite well :rolleyes:

justcommodores1

Reaction score
Members Ride
you could probably follow cops who are speeding at the same speed (ie 120 in your case) from a decent distance behind
Doubt a cop who's speeding can prove somone following them from a distance is also speeding

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I specifically mentioned Aus having much stricter enforcement than pretty much every other developed country, many of which have lower road tolls than Australia
Where did you get this information from? Have you lived in other developed countries and been let off speeding fines or simply from watching TV shows?

justcommodores1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Where did you get this information from? Have you lived in other developed countries and been let off speeding fines or simply from watching TV shows?
I mean it's a well known fact that Australia has the worlds strictest speed enforcement
Why do you think so many tourists etc get their first ever speeding ticket in Australia?
If you drive the speed limit in most other countries you'll be the slowest on the road.
Drive the speed limit in Australia and you overtake everyone else

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
He might have been on his way to McDoalds.:)
Seriously though, he could have been going to a job. If I’d called them to a home invasion or similar, I’d like to think they would put a bit of a wriggle on. Providing it was safe to do so of course.

As for raising the speed limits, I would be concerned about the probable increase in accidents due to driver inattention. After all, it seems that a large proportion of drivers already admit to using or texting on a phone whilst driving, not to mention constantly checking their social media sh1t.

So up until they can sort out the feckwits (and there is a lot of them) who spoil it for everyone else, I believe raising speed limits would be a futile exercise other than maybe allowing some people to arrive at their destinations a little earlier, and most certainly seeing more people arriving at the mortuary.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
we cant increase speed limits, driving home yesterday country rd 90km/h speed limit following a suv both doing 90km/h and another car turns on to road from 90 degree side rd in front of both of us have to brake to about 30km/h abruptly and they continue to drive at 60km/h with no care in the world. these are the people that kill others.

Status
Not open for further replies.