Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's Better VX Super6 or ls1

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Cheers guys, yeah my old girl's seen better days, got her 2 years ago as my first car, love at first sight, she's at 220k now and slowly all the small things are going, suspension (handles like a boat and the rear left strut sometimes clicks) the timing chain seems to be on its way out and the rear main seal/flex plate is definitely ready to go (either that or the actually tranny itself) so she gets me near on 15L/100km (urban) it uses 3/8 of a tank for a 220km highway drive, need something less thirsty and more reliable, and preferably more powerful :)

Also a 5 year loan so i want the car to make it to at least 3 aha :)

Nathaniel, I had a VSII Exec ecotec sedan from new (1997), and in Sydney around town short trips it would get about 15l/100Km would travel about 330Kms before filling with about 50 litres fuel (63l fuel tank), I also had a VS ('95) work wagon and I would get about 380 Km before filling but the wagons fuel tank is 5 litres more at 68 litres. If you are buying a VX or VY whether it is standard Ecotec, L67 or LS1, it's not likely to use less fuel than a VS which weighs quite a bit less than VX or VY. I would suggest in city traffic like that in Sydney with an LS1 you will get something like 16.5 litres per 100Km. I have had 2 LS1's - an '02 VXII Calais, and I still have a VX Clubsport. I have also had a '99 VT Exec wagon and a '03 VY Exec wagon for work (the VT replaced the VS wagon, and the VY replaced the VT). The VT - VZ sedans and wagons all have 75 litre fuel tanks so you may get more Km's per tank, but compared to a VS sedan, your fuel tank has 12 litres more capacity. With fuel prices heading back up it will probably cost you at least an extra $15 the fill a VT-VZ as it would a VS. By all means buy an LS1 (or L67) but just don't be under any illusions that it is going to be more economical than your VS. Note on the flip if you use the car on the highway like cruising around 100Km/h there is virtually nothing in it, Years ago I drove my VX II Calais LS1 from Sydney to Tweed Heads (830Km) and my wife drove the VSII Exec - I think the Calais used about $3 more fuel, it was very close.

Nathaniel_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore S
Cheers man, yeah i was under no illusion about fuel economy, but i didn't want to be paying much more for fuel aha

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
On the subject on fuels

Non tuned LS1 is happy on bolt on mods and any fuel.
It likes 91 and 95 and 98 + E10

On 95 and 98, it does feel fraction smoother and placebo power bum in seat experience.

But is happy to run all day on the fuels mentioned.

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Nathan,
I have had both and can say the LS1 is by far a better car. My main point would be to get a VX II due to the better rear end.

One thing to watch is some LS1s had a oil drinking problem, but most that have survived this long are probably okay.

If I was getting another one of that vintage I would look for a Monaro, but that is just my preference.

Cheers, Nick

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've found that our VX L67 Calais get the same if not better fuel mileage than our old VS (usual mods + tune). It also depends very much on the load carried. The VS ecotec was fairly economical with only the driver however with a full load the the little V6 would struggle, especially in the hilly/windy roads we have here in NZ. A few mods helped in that area though and improved economy to boot. I find diff gears really help in this regard and the Calais will be getting a set soon enough.

VS ecotec was fitted standard with a 59 litre fuel tank

Nathaniel_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore S
*UPDATE*

I have decided to go the LS1, managed to score myself a beautiful silver, Series II VX SS, I'll upload some pics when I pick her up :beer chug:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Nathaniel_P:2738291 said:
*UPDATE*

I have decided to go the LS1, managed to score myself a beautiful silver, Series II VX SS, I'll upload some pics when I pick her up :beer chug:

Good stuff

You will be happy.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
After some more running actual figures from the bowser, not the trip computer reveal a combined highway/city running economy of 10.8L/100km with a similar 55kph avg.