Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Balance Issue - VF SV6 Sedan.

Mike Shepherd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
For 3 plus years I have had what I thought were wheel balance issues with the VF SV6. The dealer couldn't get to the bottom of the issue, and despite numerous balances and a number of wheel alignments, the problem persisted. Holden put it down to tyres. In desperation I fitted a new set of Yokohama tyres from Tyres and More earlier this year. The problem persisted. After determining that the suspension was OK, and that the wheels were perfectly balanced, and that the wheel alignment was OK, Ian from Tyres and More did some research and investigation, being determined to get to the bottom of the issue. He came back with the suggestion that the "steering angle sensor", a sensor associated with the electronic power steering, be recalibrated. His scanner allowed him to reset the sensor, reset the soft stop and calibrate the system. After 3 years plus I no longer have a steering wheel vibration at any speed, the steering is no longer twitchey, and I no longer get a vibration when doing a slight left hand turn.

Mike Shepherd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
For 3 plus years I have had what I thought were wheel balance issues with the VF SV6. The dealer couldn't get to the bottom of the issue, and despite numerous balances and a number of wheel alignments, the problem persisted. Holden put it down to tyres. In desperation I fitted a new set of Yokohama tyres from Tyres and More earlier this year. The problem persisted. After determining that the suspension was OK, and that the wheels were perfectly balanced, and that the wheel alignment was OK, Ian from Tyres and More did some research and investigation, being determined to get to the bottom of the issue. He came back with the suggestion that the "steering angle sensor", a sensor associated with the electronic power steering, be recalibrated. His scanner allowed him to reset the sensor, reset the soft stop and calibrate the system. After 3 years plus I no longer have a steering wheel vibration at any speed, the steering is no longer twitchey, and I no longer get a vibration when doing a slight left hand turn.
I hope this helps someone else solve what appears to be wheel balance issue in their VF Commodore.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Something that should be reset after a wheel alignment is carried out in any way but most places wouldn't have a scan tool to recalibrate it

Mike Shepherd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Something that should be reset after a wheel alignment is carried out in any way but most places wouldn't have a scan tool to recalibrate it
That is what I now understand, but it would appear that not many in the industry are yet aware of this. The tyre dealer that Eagers in Brisbane used obviously didn't know this.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
At least in my area - It would be more uncommon for a shop to not have a scan tool. When differnt workshops get the same exposure to equipment for sale as everyone else, its amazing what will be bought by the last guy you’d expect.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
go to an expert, you're in Brisbane. I'd recommend Fulcrum Suspension.

Mike Shepherd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
It's all fixed now. Tyres and More at Stafford sorted it for me. That is where I bought the new tyres.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Big thanks for letting us all know as we can now check calibration issues before buying new tyres to fix unfixable balance issue :cool:

Glad the “experts“ at Tyres & More in Stafford sorted your issue for you but couldn’t they have questioned you whether the previous mob that did the tyre balance also recalibrated the steering shaft position sensor before selling you new tyres?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
It's all fixed now. Tyres and More at Stafford sorted it for me. That is where I bought the new tyres.

rare to find a tyre place that can sort this stuff properly, sounds like you got onto a winner.

Mike Shepherd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Big thanks for letting us all know as we can now check calibration issues before buying new tyres to fix unfixable balance issue :cool:

Glad the “experts“ at Tyres & More in Stafford sorted your issue for you but couldn’t they have questioned you whether the previous mob that did the tyre balance also recalibrated the steering shaft position sensor before selling you new tyres?
The tyres were getting to the point if needing to be replaced anyway.