Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel rims for roadworthy

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Providing the rim width and tyre sizes match all round, I can't see an issue

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
What would you do if the car was to pass, go back to using the unroadworthy tyres.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
What would you do if the car was to pass, go back to using the unroadworthy tyres.
No, not at all, I just couldn’t get new tyres on before the rwc inspection and then would have had to postpone it for two weeks because of the mechanic’s availability.
I ended up borrowing all four wheels from my son’s car and have switched those for mine until I can do them.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
I managed to get a clear answer to the mixed rim question through a lengthy conversation with a guy at Vic Roads. Thought I’d update in case it helps someone else in the future.
It is perfectly legal and roadworthy to have two alloy and two steel rims on your car, provided they:
  • Are wheels of an approved type, meaning they are equivalent in quality, safety and performance as the stock ones or are recommended by the manufacturer; OR
  • Are original equipment supplied by the manufacturer for this or an equivalent vehicle, including the same model vehicle but with a different “luxury level” eg: Berlina/Calais/Exec etc; AND
  • The width and radius are within the specifications on the vehicle’s tyre placard;
  • Are fitted with tyres that are within the specifications on the vehicle’s tyre placard; AND
  • The same wheel type is on the same axle eg: stocks front/mags rear or vice versa.
Regulations referenced: VSI 26, VSI 8 - VicRoads, VSB 14 - Federal Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Basically reinforces that you get your inspection done earlier than later to give yourself time to fix any unsuspected problems and the bonus is no problems and a relaxed approach to rego time .

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Basically reinforces that you get your inspection done earlier than later to give yourself time to fix any unsuspected problems and the bonus is no problems and a relaxed approach to rego time .
At least try to start early.
I'm in a similar position geographically as the OP.
Started the process early but everything takes soooooo long to happen in the hills I just got it done in time.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Swap all 4 wheels.
Ahh, but like I said, one is flat. Good thing I gave my son a VT a year ago with a nice set of wheels which he kindly loaned me.