Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel swap

Andrew Boros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportswagon
Just bought a VF SSV sportswagon with 19' wheels. Would like to trade for a set of 18" SS wheels if possible. My wheels are black and in great condition. Come with original Bridgestone tyres but they need replacing soon. Reason I am swapping is I can't afford good tyres on the 19's.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Andrew, whilst I am not interested, you might like to put up a picture of your wheels as Holden do a few different styles.
Also mention if they are staggered, that is wider on the rear.
If you use the search function in the top right, you will find there are a number of members using cheaper tyres with good results.

Andrew Boros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportswagon
Andrew, whilst I am not interested, you might like to put up a picture of your wheels as Holden do a few different styles.
Also mention if they are staggered, that is wider on the rear.
If you use the search function in the top right, you will find there are a number of members using cheaper tyres with good results.

Thank you for the tips. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can. As for the wheels, they are 19x8.5 same size from and rear. I'll check those threads as well to see what tyres others are using.

blackjacknz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SSV Ute
Just bought a VF SSV sportswagon with 19' wheels. Would like to trade for a set of 18" SS wheels if possible. My wheels are black and in great condition. Come with original Bridgestone tyres but they need replacing soon. Reason I am swapping is I can't afford good tyres on the 19's.

Have you actually priced the 18 vs 19's....sometimes there's not that much difference.....and its not something you do often anyway ? Remember....It'll change the look of the car as well......

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS-V Ute
Andrew, I have been having good luck with Maxtrek Maximus M1 tyres (Chinese) about $140/150 each fitted. They have been fine (no noticeable difference to me compared to $250 Hancook's, I think they are actually wearing better, and they seem to grip fine).

I also recently had some Sonar ones put on the front, at the suggestion of a local tyre shop/mechanic, also Chinese, he said they are a bit harder compound, so should last longer (with a bit less grip) than the Maxtrek. They were about $180/200 each fitted. They seem to be wearing ok, but i havent run them far enough to know.

My driving is almost all rural, 100km/h+ on bitumen, gravel and dirt of highly varying quality.

I would also like to know the same as you Andrew. I have a 2014 VF SSV Ute, and do a lot of gravel/dirt driving. (Unlike your wheels, my back wheels are in shithouse condition, the front ones pretty good (just some curb rash from the previous owner) but I never let them get rotated onto the back). The other day I got a puncture which resulted in a buggered rim. I can get a set of 18" Holden wheels with ok tyres secondhand for less than a new set of tyres.

I am assuming your wheels are the same size, so I will add this info here, i dont want to hijack your thread, but I think our questions are essentially the same.

My ute has 245/40/R19 tyres on these rims: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1x-Hold...3dcab873f:g:BfgAAOSw6btZsP86&autorefresh=true

I dont believe it has the Brembo brakes, the only branding I can see on the calipers is "iqd" or something like that, and they arent bright red like I have seen in photos.

I have read mixed messages on here: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2439797 but mostly they seem to suggest that 18's can be used, as long as I dont have Brembo brakes.

I called a tyre/wheel place in Melbourne I found on Gumtree that was selling a set of 18" Holden wheels with tyres, and he said that its not roadworthy to use anything other than what is specified on the tyre placard on the inside of the door. It only says 19":
IMG_20180103_121134_resized_by_AVG_Image_Shrinker.jpg

Here is one of my wheels (as you can see, its rough as guts from stone chips):
IMG_20180103_121145_resized_by_AVG_Image_Shrinker.jpg

Does anyone know If i Can legally use 18's, if they will run well, and what sizes I can use. According to my SSV owners manual, the SS Ute (not SSV) comes with 245/45 R18 XL 100V.

Also, is it ok to mix size rims - I am only asking for the spare wheel. I have a spacesaver, and also a proper 19" rim (some cheap crap which has been painted black and the paint is now getting blasted off by the gravel!). My spacesaver is T155/70 R18, so I am assuming it is ok to mix them for a short while at least?

I am probably going to call in at my local tyre place soon and discuss it with them, will let you know what I find out.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
In case it adds to narrow-down the good info in the above post; if it's an SS-V Redline it will have the Brembos and will need the 19's, if it's an SS-V (non Redline) the 18's are fine.

Be careful fitting different sizes left-to-right though. A tiny difference in rolling diameter (as in the difference between a Redline rear tyre & the spare) is OK, but you don't want to be driving too quickly with different widths & sizes as there are grip & balance issues involved (I can't recall ... does Holden recommend a max of 80km/h with the spare fitted to the rear of a Redline?).

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS-V Ute
In case it adds to narrow-down the good info in the above post; if it's an SS-V Redline it will have the Brembos and will need the 19's, if it's an SS-V (non Redline) the 18's are fine.

Be careful fitting different sizes left-to-right though. A tiny difference in rolling diameter (as in the difference between a Redline rear tyre & the spare) is OK, but you don't want to be driving too quickly with different widths & sizes as there are grip & balance issues involved (I can't recall ... does Holden recommend a max of 80km/h with the spare fitted to the rear of a Redline?).
My ssv (non redline) has a spacesaver, and it says no faster than 80. I thought the Redlines were supposed to come with a compressor and plug/goo kit instead of a spare, but i might be wrong.

Andrew Boros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportswagon
Have you actually priced the 18 vs 19's....sometimes there's not that much difference.....and its not something you do often anyway ? Remember....It'll change the look of the car as well......
Hi, thanks for the info. I checked and the price difference for the 19's is quite big compared to the 18's. I was hoping to run either Adrenalins that I used on my old Forester or the new Maxxis HP5 that I have on my Caldina. They are a cracking tyre and are fantastic in the wet. I have seen an SSV with 18's. and it doesn't look too bad.

Andrew Boros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportswagon
Andrew, I have been having good luck with Maxtrek Maximus M1 tyres (Chinese) about $140/150 each fitted. They have been fine (no noticeable difference to me compared to $250 Hancook's, I think they are actually wearing better, and they seem to grip fine).

I also recently had some Sonar ones put on the front, at the suggestion of a local tyre shop/mechanic, also Chinese, he said they are a bit harder compound, so should last longer (with a bit less grip) than the Maxtrek. They were about $180/200 each fitted. They seem to be wearing ok, but i havent run them far enough to know.

My driving is almost all rural, 100km/h+ on bitumen, gravel and dirt of highly varying quality.

I would also like to know the same as you Andrew. I have a 2014 VF SSV Ute, and do a lot of gravel/dirt driving. (Unlike your wheels, my back wheels are in shithouse condition, the front ones pretty good (just some curb rash from the previous owner) but I never let them get rotated onto the back). The other day I got a puncture which resulted in a buggered rim. I can get a set of 18" Holden wheels with ok tyres secondhand for less than a new set of tyres.

I am assuming your wheels are the same size, so I will add this info here, i dont want to hijack your thread, but I think our questions are essentially the same.

My ute has 245/40/R19 tyres on these rims: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1x-Hold...3dcab873f:g:BfgAAOSw6btZsP86&autorefresh=true

I dont believe it has the Brembo brakes, the only branding I can see on the calipers is "iqd" or something like that, and they arent bright red like I have seen in photos.

I have read mixed messages on here: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2439797 but mostly they seem to suggest that 18's can be used, as long as I dont have Brembo brakes.

I called a tyre/wheel place in Melbourne I found on Gumtree that was selling a set of 18" Holden wheels with tyres, and he said that its not roadworthy to use anything other than what is specified on the tyre placard on the inside of the door. It only says 19":
View attachment 196906

Here is one of my wheels (as you can see, its rough as guts from stone chips):
View attachment 196907

Does anyone know If i Can legally use 18's, if they will run well, and what sizes I can use. According to my SSV owners manual, the SS Ute (not SSV) comes with 245/45 R18 XL 100V.

Also, is it ok to mix size rims - I am only asking for the spare wheel. I have a spacesaver, and also a proper 19" rim (some cheap crap which has been painted black and the paint is now getting blasted off by the gravel!). My spacesaver is T155/70 R18, so I am assuming it is ok to mix them for a short while at least?

I am probably going to call in at my local tyre place soon and discuss it with them, will let you know what I find out.
Hey, thanks for the info. We seem to have similar desires here. I have an SSV without Brembo brakes. As mentioned, they only came on the Redline. I didn't get a Redline because they have different size rear wheels to front and that is extra cost. I like to buy 4 tyres.

I will check with my local Jax tyre place and see if it is legal to fit the 18's but I don't think there will be an issue as you are allowed 2 inches. Not sure if that applies to going backwards but seeing as the standard SS came with 18's, I can't see a problem. My Caldina was fitted with 15's but has 17's now and it is road legal.

As for Chinese tyres, I'm not a fan. I was hesitant to use Maxxis but having had them on for a few months now and driven in the wet, they are superb! I rate them better than the Adrenalins (RE003) on the old Forester.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If the rims fit OK, I don’t think you should have any problems going down in 1 inch in size.
I have used a smaller diameter rim, with tyres that exceed the placard specs for 14 years, and never had a problem with NSW roadworthy, or with my insurance company.
But if you are concerned, check with the RMS.
As for Chinese tyres, they are probably as good as the money you pay for them. Most tyres are now made in ‘third world countries’ …… excluding Australia.