Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel swap

Ausroamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Andrew, the rules/guidelines for nsw are on the RMS website and allow a fair amount of variation. Since 18" wheels were a factory option for the VF there is no problem legally with fitting them, even if not listed on the placard, provided the offset doesn't change the track too much (if using original commodore rims this should not be an issue). Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS-V Ute
OK I have just been into my local *trusted* tyre shop/mechanic, and he and his worker both said that:

• I can change from the stock SSV Ute wheels: 19" 245/40/R19 to wheels the same size as supplied on the SS Ute, which, according to my owner manual, is 245/45/R18. (The SSV Owners manual is the same as the SS one).
  • They said its perfectly legal, and he thinks it would be better too, due to extra sidewall and cheaper tyres/more tyre choices.
  • You can change +/- 1".
This is in Victoria.

So as far as I am concerned Andrew, you should also be able to change, as long as you use the same size 245/45/R18 wheels that come on a VF SS.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
(I can't recall ... does Holden recommend a max of 80km/h with the spare fitted to the rear of a Redline?).

The spare in the Redline has one of those ‘maximum 80 km/h’ stickers on it. It also has a sticker with a ‘consult the manual’ symbol on it. I figure that the speed restriction applies when fitted to the rear? I must read what the manual says about it one day. :)

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
The spare in the Redline has one of those ‘maximum 80 km/h’ stickers on it. It also has a sticker with a ‘consult the manual’ symbol on it. I figure that the speed restriction applies when fitted to the rear? I must read what the manual says about it one day. :)

Correct, speed restriction only when fitted to the rear. Normal speeds if fitted to the front as its a Redline Front rim/tyre combo.

Andrew Boros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportswagon
Andrew, the rules/guidelines for nsw are on the RMS website and allow a fair amount of variation. Since 18" wheels were a factory option for the VF there is no problem legally with fitting them, even if not listed on the placard, provided the offset doesn't change the track too much (if using original commodore rims this should not be an issue). Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. This forum has to be one of the best I've been on. I really appreciate everyone's help and enthusiasm.

Andrew Boros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportswagon
OK I have just been into my local *trusted* tyre shop/mechanic, and he and his worker both said that:

• I can change from the stock SSV Ute wheels: 19" 245/40/R19 to wheels the same size as supplied on the SS Ute, which, according to my owner manual, is 245/45/R18. (The SSV Owners manual is the same as the SS one).
  • They said its perfectly legal, and he thinks it would be better too, due to extra sidewall and cheaper tyres/more tyre choices.
  • You can change +/- 1".
This is in Victoria.

So as far as I am concerned Andrew, you should also be able to change, as long as you use the same size 245/45/R18 wheels that come on a VF SS.
Brilliant! looks like we both have a satisfactory outcome. Now to get the car and see if I can swap those wheels!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hey, thanks for the info. We seem to have similar desires here. I have an SSV without Brembo brakes. As mentioned, they only came on the Redline. I didn't get a Redline because they have different size rear wheels to front and that is extra cost. I like to buy 4 tyres.

I will check with my local Jax tyre place and see if it is legal to fit the 18's but I don't think there will be an issue as you are allowed 2 inches. Not sure if that applies to going backwards but seeing as the standard SS came with 18's, I can't see a problem. My Caldina was fitted with 15's but has 17's now and it is road legal.

As for Chinese tyres, I'm not a fan. I was hesitant to use Maxxis but having had them on for a few months now and driven in the wet, they are superb! I rate them better than the Adrenalins (RE003) on the old Forester.

Hey mate
I was quoted $820 for 4 new pirelli dragon tyres. They are just over 200 each for 19" for Commodore .
They are really decent tyre..

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Hey mate
I was quoted $820 for 4 new pirelli dragon tyres. They are just over 200 each for 19" for Commodore.
Are Bridgestone still doing 4-for-the-price-of-3?
I bought a set of RE003's for the Other Car just before Christmas (limited usage means I replaced the old tyres due to age not wear, they still looked new, so poor tread-wear won't affect me), because of the unusual size RRP was >$1100 for the set, but with the 4-for-3 and by the time I shopped around a bit (the crux being a low quote from Costco followed by a price-beat guarantee from K-Mart Tyre & Auto) I paid ~$650.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Are Bridgestone still doing 4-for-the-price-of-3?
I bought a set of RE003's for the Other Car just before Christmas (limited usage means I replaced the old tyres due to age not wear, they still looked new, so poor tread-wear won't affect me), because of the unusual size RRP was >$1100 for the set, but with the 4-for-3 and by the time I shopped around a bit (the crux being a low quote from Costco followed by a price-beat guarantee from K-Mart Tyre & Auto) I paid ~$650.
So I’ve got it straight, you paid less than $165 fitted and balanced from where - K-Mart or Costco? What size, and could you get near that for your SSV?
I have been looking into RE003 (Firestone Firehawk Indy 500) for 2-3x that and still thinking I’m ahead!
Most spectacularly consistent tyre reviews I’ve ever seen.