Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel swap

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Was quoted on 28/12 $1140.00 for Bridgestone RE050A.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
So I’ve got it straight, you paid less than $165 fitted and balanced from where - K-Mart or Costco? What size, and could you get near that for your SSV?
I have been looking into RE003 (Firestone Firehawk Indy 500) for 2-3x that and still thinking I’m ahead!
Most spectacularly consistent tyre reviews I’ve ever seen.
Yeah, they're a really good tyre for sure. I rate them as one of the best $4$. Reasonable handling, quiet and last well. I relaced mine a month or so back at 40k km's. The fronts still had at least another 20k in them I reckon. They lack a bit on fwd grip once they have a few k's on them though.
But, I can say from first hand experience that they don't feel as sharp as the Michelin SS on the front, and have far less grip compared to the PS4S on the rear.
One thing to be mindful of with the 003's (and I haven't checked the legal or insurance ramifications of this) is that they are W speed rated, whereas the Redline tyre placard says Y rated. Out of interest, I'll check my Son's VE Redline wagon to see if it's W rated or not.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
So I’ve got it straight, you paid less than $165 fitted and balanced from where - K-Mart or Costco? What size, and could you get near that for your SSV?
I have been looking into RE003 (Firestone Firehawk Indy 500) for 2-3x that and still thinking I’m ahead!
Most spectacularly consistent tyre reviews I’ve ever seen.
Unfortunately not ... I've just checked Jax's website for comparative purposes. The tyres for a Redline are double the price of the 215/40x17's I bought ... well, the rear ones are. I honestly didn't think they'd charge as much for the rears as they are, given that there are probably 10x as many cars on the road running 275/35x19's as 215/40x17's, regardless of the extra rubber involved.
And I suspect they might not give you the 3-for-4 deal for staggered tyres.
Oh, it was from K-Mart but only because I was able to quote the already-quite-low price from Costco (which they then beat). Probably worth doing, whichever tyres you end up choosing (as long as you can trust the gorillas not to munt your wheels of course).

I reckon you'd go through a set of RE003's in 4 weeks, the number of km's you put on 'em! :)

I have to disagree.
My experience with the Pirelli Dragons wasn't too bad, but it was an olde worlde tyre size on an olde worlde car.

Last edited:

Andrew Boros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportswagon
Are Bridgestone still doing 4-for-the-price-of-3?
I bought a set of RE003's for the Other Car just before Christmas (limited usage means I replaced the old tyres due to age not wear, they still looked new, so poor tread-wear won't affect me), because of the unusual size RRP was >$1100 for the set, but with the 4-for-3 and by the time I shopped around a bit (the crux being a low quote from Costco followed by a price-beat guarantee from K-Mart Tyre & Auto) I paid ~$650.
Bridgestone stopped that in December. No more deals on their tyres for now. The next one will be about 6 months away unfortunately.

Andrew Boros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportswagon
Hey mate
I was quoted $820 for 4 new pirelli dragon tyres. They are just over 200 each for 19" for Commodore .
They are really decent tyre..
Ron, I like Pirelli's, haven't had a set in a while though as they wore real quick on the last car i had them. Still, that is a good price for a decent tyre. I was hoping to get another set of Maxxis HP5's. They are sensational in the wet. Would like to see how they handle on a rear drive. I have them on my all wheel drive at the moment.

Andrew Boros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportswagon
Just picked up the car and have taken pictures of the wheels.
aYnf4rCBFoSOCq6zSGhGKvZFRVi2V_2cGaNvOpkXS17IxcwDA9roAgYYWjnJrvRTdtG9a9dqrzIViwBgmPdyapMDc2ta8X-kdRT2PZaz_VLhAzsNdbGCKm_yDt0lBNdBy3-X9AgGqya7Xuf3nIYQdksLui1FlQDMhS7c2OqgfY9ZEc70F-aluo--7RY0uvingSiDyilcKJv6Z6IfONbN3Ae092UV7X2VaS-ajVVLB6tga1tn-kct-ttIFS0fhDHcq-I-VyoRQQFeLmNxiJOqFBjlYtQ_hZXCaucOWjnLD8j5s9YPFtbj-_b7CF2UBZeP-U9CvR7jfYPDHWWnEJgC50ip5583B49j9fsMZwPK9mG6-mzupYGEhp88YmOk1msKVNVsXr3BUdyjHhw4fOrWEca2RVzklxpwylcKKfMxUYKjzwDs-8xq_jon1m7e_eJEWbhFbLl7s6n6Ou79PHq6oO3kvZZtWGGW7M32jJPAtDchCFaaJTzfHRjVaw8nsmzTwHlJqoabe7SEIGUAlyvuKDM2H5rboDCtacXmJZKy2_9izUz2vWqDxg_4-APk4Ku7PmtMJrtzeecMww0sQXqAdrimYWtStXJAJD33QE0=w1266-h949-no