Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where do I find +12 volts for high beam to activate driving lights (seriously)

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 Ute, 2001 VXII Berlina Sed
This is going to sound like a noob question and I've never seen anything like this on any other car I've worked on. I'm fitting driving lights to my VXII Berlina and I cannot for the life of me figure out where to pick up +12 volts from the high beams to trigger the relay. I've used a meter on the headlight connector and all I get is more confused. From what I recall last night, 4 of the 6 pins are +12 volts even with the lights all off and the car turned off. One is always ground and the last only energises when the parkers are turned on. As far as I can work out from the various info on the forum, there appears to be some shared wiring inside the headlamp assembly and the lights are turned on by forces unknown. Even my VE headlight wiring makes more sense than the VX.

I don't really mind where I get my 12 volt signal from but I don't want to dismantle half the engine bay to do it (so no, I'm not going to remove the engine bay fuse block). Anyone else found a suitable signal for 12 volts with highbeams on and care to share?

And another question, while I was poking around in the engine bay fuse block, I noticed a fuse labelled "T-RELAX". wtf?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
As above. Only the parkers are switched positively and the tail lights (as they are on the same circuit).

You need to pick up the Light Green (negative) wire at the headlights.
This wire comes from the switching relay for high beam.
You will probably find there are 2 Light Green wires going to the headlights on either side.
Don't worry, take your pick as they are both for high beam.

This should help you.......
Oh, don't take any notice of what I wrote on the picture (NW Brown/White).
That was for something else.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just try the 12v wires with the high beam turned on because if u have power going thru a globe that is not to ground u will have power on both sides so one of the power out from the high beam globe will become an earth when switched on, just find that one and trigger the relay with the earth...

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Like I said above, the Light green wire.
It's not hard, unless you're colour blind.
If you are, use a multi meter.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
just try the 12v wires with the high beam turned on because if u have power going thru a globe that is not to ground u will have power on both sides so one of the power out from the high beam globe will become an earth when switched on, just find that one and trigger the relay with the earth...

Yup, wire the relay as such...
30 = 12+
85 = 12+
87 = Spotlights Positive
86 = Light Green Negative from headlight loom.

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the tips guys, will have another crack at it this arvo.

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just for those who may have picked up this thread - the above info worked and my lights are working great. Cheers.