Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which fuel is appropriate for an '07 3.6? 91 or 95?

ALCMCQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yeah has to do with the 159 JTS injection system on the 2.2 ltr and only realted to Aussie 98 oct apparently - no such issues in the US or Europe.

I thought it was a load of bs until my car started not to start first fire after tanks of 98 - switched to 95 and then began to start first fire after a tank.....according to the Alfa forum it's a known issue with Aussie 98 fuels.....a lot of additives / cleaners blended in that the JTS injection just doesn't like....

anyway the 159's gone to Adelaide now and the VZs been a dream to own for the past month..

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Yeah has to do with the 159 JTS injection system on the 2.2 ltr and only realted to Aussie 98 oct apparently - no such issues in the US or Europe.

I thought it was a load of bs until my car started not to start first fire after tanks of 98 - switched to 95 and then began to start first fire after a tank.....according to the Alfa forum it's a known issue with Aussie 98 fuels.....a lot of additives / cleaners blended in that the JTS injection just doesn't like....

anyway the 159's gone to Adelaide now and the VZs been a dream to own for the past month..

sometimes I could take a gun to my Alfa , but when I hear that V6 snarl , its like Enrico Caruso singing an aria , even the polished intake runners put a dreamy smile on my face .

Faisal Khan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevy Lumina
How exactly does putting 95 in your car make it heavy??

Octane rating is simply resistance to ignition..which causes detonation under high compression...if the engine is designed for 91...which burns quicker than 95...obviously putting in 95 will make the engine lose power...

adimw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 3.6
Well, now I'm confused! She seems to run sweet as a bean on 91 Octane (Usually from Caltex) - fuel economy isn't too shabby - I'm coming from driving a clapped out R33 Skyline RB25DE

Fuel economy:

Skyline on 91:

Calais on 91:

Will try a few tanks of 95 over the next couple of weeks and see if it makes any difference.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
That MPG figure in Fuelly is the figure I mentally work out sometimes for my VE.
I seem to get about 20MPG around town and about 30MPG on the highway cruising at 100 to 110 KPH (106 & 116 on digital readout) using cruise control.
These figures I believe are good compared to 6 cylinder large cars I've had in the past.
Back in the '70s, '80s I would get around 15MPG around town, and around 20MPG on the highway.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
My HQ 173
18MPG City
30MPG Highway

adimw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 3.6
That MPG figure in Fuelly is the figure I mentally work out sometimes for my VE.
ah, do you not see L/100 like I do?

lBiFwSV.png

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's not just resistance to ignition it's the way it burns. Higher octane fuels burn slower from the spark plug outward to the piston crown. That gives the piston a longer but more gradual push down the cylinder compared to the lower octane fuel that just goes bang and that's it. So you need to tune the engine to get the best out of the fuel.
My 07 Ecotec runs well on either 91 or 95. Lately it's been running exceptionally well on 7-11 91 of all things. I also like shell 95.

I run my old lawn mower on 98 and it powers through everything.