Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why dont people sell their copies of the Holden Service Information Package?

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Norti I don't believe if you lost your job and your car died and you cant afford to repair, none of your friends know and you post on these forums the symptoms and someone just copied a page from the SIP with 3-4 things to check and maybe replace a $5 part that you wouldn't follow what it says or start bagging them and telling them how illegal it is.

What has Norti got to do with this debate? She hasn't even contributed to this thread!

Tatiana

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Someone in the know please give a solid answer to the OPs question, because all this "No its illegal and holden will find out and make you go to gaol for 100 years" is petty and stupid.

The OP wondered if it was illegal to redistribute Holden's service package. A number of us have answered that yes, it is illegal.

My question to you is how did you determine no one answered his question?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
The OP wondered if it was illegal to redistribute Holden's service package. A number of us have answered that yes, it is illegal.

My question to you is how did you determine no one answered his question?

^^Because the mans probably as dumb as this thread is!! Will somebody please close it NOW.^^

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
^^Because the mans probably as dumb as this thread is!! Will somebody please close it NOW.^^

Your calling me dumb for asking a valid question? It's called having a discussion mate isn't that what this whole site is about? Discussion board? Why would you close it?

The original question was why don't people sell it, that has been answered because it's highly illegal. The question that then stemmed from that was is it morally wrong to share the information, if it's for the good of fellow car enthusiasts? We all know it's legally not ok so we can put that argument to rest. But as it has been pointed out is that if it means guys can fix their cars and means they don't have to do things dangerously (eg, take springs out without knowing whats gonna happen and have it shoot out at someone, or not putting something on right and causing an accident at high speed when it breaks), is that still wrong?#
There seems to be no easy answer as everyone has different views, but if anyone asks me to help them I ain't gonna say "just hit it with a hammer" if I know I've got something that will help, I'll give it to them, I was taught you don't achieve anything by yourself (not true for everything, don't start hating me lol) and sharing is caring.#

Afrikano

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vy Ute
This is getting a bit out of hand Eyy, esca_ByDesign started by asking how much something like that would sell for, just answer the Question, its not that difficult.

and no matter how illegal everyone saying possession of the document is, i bet everyone here would Love to have possession of it, that's the funny part.

esca_ByDesign - Keep it for your self and your mates ;)

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Too many threads open at once, girl from SA and I guess I wasn't paying attention to the name on the different pages.

You know who it was directed at, even pointed out my error but didn't answer.

To OP I wouldn't care less, if I had it Id burn copies for mates or copy pages to help people out.

Maybe I am just a bad person..

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
I recon as long as you dont CHARGE to make money on it, there shouldnt be a problem..

Tatiana

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I recon as long as you dont CHARGE to make money on it, there shouldnt be a problem..

Yes there is, copy right infringement. But then this has been said by a few over and over. You kids just don't get it.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Your calling me dumb for asking a valid question? It's called having a discussion mate isn't that what this whole site is about? Discussion board? Why would you close it?

The original question was why don't people sell it, that has been answered because it's highly illegal. The question that then stemmed from that was is it morally wrong to share the information, if it's for the good of fellow car enthusiasts? We all know it's legally not ok so we can put that argument to rest. But as it has been pointed out is that if it means guys can fix their cars and means they don't have to do things dangerously (eg, take springs out without knowing whats gonna happen and have it shoot out at someone, or not putting something on right and causing an accident at high speed when it breaks), is that still wrong?#
There seems to be no easy answer as everyone has different views, but if anyone asks me to help them I ain't gonna say "just hit it with a hammer" if I know I've got something that will help, I'll give it to them, I was taught you don't achieve anything by yourself (not true for everything, don't start hating me lol) and sharing is caring.#

Before you start getting your panties in a knot re-read my post!! IT WAS NOT DIRECTED AT YOU, IT WAS AT SOMEONE ELSE'S COMMENT!!!

Also I have two car manuals here in my hot little hand, that have provided everything I have ever needed to fix something on my car. BEST THING ABOUT THIS IS THAT YOU CAN BUY THEM FROM AUTO STORES.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
OK, Calm down - it's quite easy to understand that the OP misinterpreted your post - at first, so did I till I re-read this page.

What this thread has touched on is the difficulty in obtaining proper workshop manuals for VT onwards models. Until the VT, Holden printed the manuals in volumes and it was reasonably easy to obtain them from a dealer, although some volumes were pretty pricey. Now, you have to pay a large amount to obtain a licenses copy of the complete manual on CD's and for most of us, the price is over the top. The proprietary manuals (Gregory's/Haynes etc), are too generic and leave too much out, though they are helpfuil with most mechanical items. But after four years of the VE being on the market, you still can't get an aftermarket manual and it was the same for the VY and VZ. It does seem unfair that the home mechanic and enthusiast is treated this way by the manufacturer and I can readily appreciate the appeal of a copy of a genuine manual being offered illegally. To the OP, if you are lucky enough to have a copy, then good luck to you. Just be careful how you distribute it.