Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why I would not buy a GM product again

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
JD Powers ranking is based on vehicles over 3 years old and complaints by owners.

It offers good info without necessarily being greatly actuate.

Toyota have leapfrogged Chevy in the 2019 rating.

slide1_64.jpg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
JD Powers ranking is based on vehicles over 3 years old and complaints by owners.

It offers good info without necessarily being greatly actuate.

Toyota have leapfrogged Chevy in the 2019 rating.

slide1_64.jpg

Good to see Fix It Again Tony maintaining their reputation.

V8 TIL 98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II MSE
Mine has been flawless, apart from a suspension warning flashing up a few times on the dash (but nothing ever feeling discernibly amiss with the suspension), which was checked out at the first service.

Many years ago, I did have a few Friday afternoon Holdens, but I figured that these last limited edition models would have been put together with care and pride, since they were the very last ones to carry the Aussie-built flag (don’t even start me on the national tragedy of us losing such a significant capability). I would never have thought the good folks assembling these automotive weapons could have allowed the last of the breed to be hurriedly slapped together (despite the corporate/government shafting they, as individuals, were administered).

I am expecting this car to last as long as I do... and plan to keep it forever.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Going by the last sales figures not many people want holdens imported junk :p

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Going by the last sales figures not many people want holdens imported junk :p

It's the brand image that's doing that. Notwithstanding the loss of the locally built Commodore, Holden's product range in terms of quality and how they drive are in the best spot they've been in a very long time. Reliability in general is well up and all of their vehicles actually drive very well against the competition.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It's the brand image that's doing that. Notwithstanding the loss of the locally built Commodore, Holden's product range in terms of quality and how they drive are in the best spot they've been in a very long time. Reliability in general is well up and all of their vehicles actually drive very well against the competition.
I would tend to agree.
The increased sales of V8 cars for VF2 was a bit of an artificial thing, a bunch of people getting in before the chance to get a V8 Commodore went away. So for 80%-ish of what was the normal market for a Commodore, the ZB is a better car.
Equally Noxious is a considerably better thing than Craptiva ever was.
The US made Acadia POS gets pretty good reviews in it's market segment, yet sales figures don't seem to be setting the world alight. This is a big shame, because POS's like this are a huge cash-cow for just about everyone else.
Ignoring the Chinese-made one (which I think they've now dropped anyway?), Astra is probably the best small-mid family car they've had in that segment in 20 years.
Colorado is a dual-cab ute & looks large. To sell in that segment, you only have to be overpriced & oversized & lumbering, which Colorado does to a 'T'.
Their small-Daewoo sized stuff is a bit terrible; you'd be tempted to say stuff that size ONLY sells on Price Price Price but I don't know how true that really is, SB and XC Barinas for example had a bit more zing than the offerings from other manufacturers at the time.

Having said all of that … I think that you do need to have at least one product which is the best (or at least equal-best) in it's segment, for that milkshake to bring all the boys to your yard. And I don't think anything they sell is that good; it's just "not bad".
Probably the only thing they sell that's probably best in it's segment is the Commodore, and it's the vibe/Mabo that's stopping those from selling IMHO.

Last edited:

V8 TIL 98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II MSE
The way they handled the Commodore transition after VF2 was really just the final nail, after years of foisting rebadged Daewoo crap on the market... not to mention the cynical way in which GM plundered taxpayer money - which was largely assisted by an inept government.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

yes that will be one part of it but it will also be the current lineup of products being boring and lacking a lot of features that other vehicles have.
just compare something like the ranger to the colorado and so on, gm is importing flavorless junk that people dont want.
mazda and hyundai are selling double the amount of vehicles than holden is because the vehicles are just better than the comparison vehicle holden offers.
holden currently sits in 9th place of the top 10 with toyota, mazda and hyundai being the top 3 and even kia is on its way up in 6th.

it has been 2 years since the factory closed so it will be interesting to see if holdens image/brand does recover enough for them to sell more or if gm will pull the plug.
time will tell i guess.

Last edited:

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
just compare something like the ranger to the colorado and so on

That's what I don't even get. In terms of driving dynamics, I would rate the Colorado better than the Ranger. The Colorado has more power (apart from the new bi-turbo diesel that they've not long released), presents better value and in later models seems more reliable (having worked at workshops that service lots of both vehicles I have direct experience with reliability). I really don't get why people go and spend more on the Ranger.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
That's what I don't even get. In terms of driving dynamics, I would rate the Colorado better than the Ranger. The Colorado has more power (apart from the new bi-turbo diesel that they've not long released), presents better value and in later models seems more reliable (having worked at workshops that service lots of both vehicles I have direct experience with reliability). I really don't get why people go and spend more on the Ranger.

ranger is more feature packed while the colorado still feels like the rg from 2012 also it does not help that many of the collies had the defective engine in the 2014~2016 run that holden is still fighting hard to not replace.
that kind of thing drives people away when looking at the colorado and one of the most common questions i answer on the colorado groups is "does the 2019 colorado still burn oil" and of course the answer is no.

since 2012 the colorado has not changed much mechanically apart from the dm2 engine in my14 its all just been interior and facelifts so it still feels like the 2012.

maybe its the "RANGER" across the back and they all think they are walker lol i hate that type of branding and would make them remove it before sale.