Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will you still be interested?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Something different for The Pub.

As a person who has lived and breathed Holdens since first getting a preview of the HK range in January 1968, nearly a month before they were released, I'm still coming to grips with the thought there won't be any more true Holdens by 2018.

I've learnt to drive on them, modified them, customised them, raced an FE stock car, hotted them up and had them appear in Hot Rod Magazine back in the mid 70's. (Even my ugly mug was included.) For years, I purchased Wheels and other motor mags to read the road tests of every model and sweated on the special editions that came out with scoop pictures and details of the next model. My mates all drove Holdens. mostly V8's, when fuel cost way under 20 cents a litre. I've completely restored an HT 350 GTS from a rusted bare shell over four years.

Throughout those forty odd years, my love for Holdens never diminished. Perhaps it's made me a bit one-eyed but I've defended them against frequent criticism that they were unreliable, crude, inefficient and poorly designed and made. Over that time, I have never changed my mind - I still love them (well, most of them, anyway).

But in less than two years, that will probably all die out. I drive a Korean Holden at present, because it suits my wife and myself at our age, but it's not a "Holden" and it doesn't excite me like some of my earlier cars did. It's just nice transport, nothing more. I can't get excited about the "24 new models over the next two years" because, while some of them will undoubtedly be nice cars, they will really be a mish-mash of foreign makes shipped in from God-knows-where and flogged off as Holdens. It just won't be the same and I'm pretty sure that my intense interest in cars will take a dive - perhaps, so far as new models go, even fade away eventually. I'll probably retain my affection for the real Holdens, but doubt that I'll care much for the imported stuff with Holden badges pasted on.

I'm a bit older than many members of the forum, so my feelings may be different to many of you but I know we must have all had one thing in common at one time or we wouldn't be here on a Commodore forum.

So, am I the only one who feels this way about what's going to happen at the end of 2017?

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I still like much of the local product. Big fan of the LH/X Toranas, various Commodores and many of the older models, particularly the commercials. None of that will change with the cessation of local production.

Of their new product - there is not much of interest that is confirmed right now. The MY16 Colorado is looking like a big step up and may be of interest. Beyond that, there are rumours of a RHD Vette or possibly a Camaro which would be of interest however at present they are nothing more than rumours and I'd be surprised if they eventuate.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'm with both of you.

Still have a love for the older models but can't see much attraction to the new stuff at this stage. You never know, maybe I will be surprised by a future offering.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
My interest started to wane some time ago, but it came back of late, only to go again.

I grew up loving holdens but when it came for me to buy my own cars I favoured fuel economy, ease of parking and practicality, so for most of the 00s I had 4cyl japanese cars. Until I got the VB in 2009 I actually had a disliking for the commodore. It was too big, thirsty, irrelevant. I got the VB in August 2009 and joined the forum a week later.I got it simply because I was after an affordable classic car - the shortlist was the VB, and a 1965 VW Beetle I found near Dubbo for the same price. So the VB got me interested in the brand again. Then in 2011 I adopted a 2001 VX as my daily car. It was comfy and great on the open road but in hindsight it was too big for a single person. Drank like a fish, and its width meant it kept getting doored. So I traded it on the Fiesta. Fiesta is a more appropriate size for my needs, is fun to drive and gets great fuel economy (in comparison to the VX).

Lately I sold the VB due to a need to downsize. By then I had gained an '81 Volvo 244 which, lets face it, is a far superior car in all respects other than local parts availability, future investment appeal, and getting attention at car shows. When I see pics of the VB I do miss it a bit but it had to go. Whilst there is this forum available for the VB, the Volvo 240 being a global car has at least 5 relevant forums globally - 1 in OZ, and 2 each in Nth America and UK.

Would I buy another Holden? The Fiesta still fills my needs nicely and I have the Volvo if I need something a little bigger and/or to tow something (has a towbar) The Commodore is still too big for my needs. I'd never fill the boot, and good 4cyl carsthese days offer good highway performance without the fuel bill. To boot, the resale is horrible. For a Commodore SV6 ($37k) I could get a top of the line Golf/Focus/Mazda3 etc that has all the power and space I need with loads of kit (that being said, having recently test driven this class of car the base models were just fine and could be had at a much more affordable sub $25k). I drove a Cruze the other weekend, but the transmission was crap and the interior didn't feel right. It was refined and handled well, however.

I've long been interested in other brands too. The only brands I have zero interest in are Korean and Chinese Brands. But with the demise of local manufacturing, I think it'll just become 'another brand'. This may change if I got another classic, and I could be in the market for an old holden but......frankly, old holdens and falcons (Especially pre VB/XD) are waaay overvalued as classic cars IMHO. I'd rather have something a bit different, anyway. Like the Volvo.....

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Most of the friends I've made on this forum, as well as me and my family, moved on from Holden products a while ago now. The end of local manufacturing doesn't impact me in the slightest. The classics were around before I was born and I'll always have a love for them. But I won't miss anything in the future.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
For me I will always love Holden's regardless of the decision to stop manufacturing locally. I will hang on to my VZ as long as I possibly can. There were 260,000 made so there's lots of spares etc and they have a good life span. Lots of people still retain enthusiasm for a particular car brand long after manufacture has stopped and it will be the same for me with Holdens. I will keep buying Lion and Stone stickers etc and plastering them on my desk, diaries etc as long as they are available. Plus, for the the Commodore suits my needs. I'm 6ft tall so I need a car with a bit of headroom for both me and any passengers in the back.

Plus I use the boot space from time to time at least, be it helping people move, buying stuff for the garden, carrying a couple of sets of golf clubs and I like taking road trips where the Commodore comes into it's own. There aren't many other cars that come to my mind that have the space, handling and economy that a Commodore does.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I am with most on here, I was brought up on Holdens, did my apprenticeship at a Holden dealer(truck side), my dad had holdens, and I have had quite a few over my 46 years of driving.
I wont forget the classics, but have moved on with my needs(as Caliber has said).
Will see what comes along in the future.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Well, my first car was a Holden, albeit one of the worst Holdens, something from the mid 80's, had a bad experience with it so went for some jap stuff instead.
Then I bought my VX Berlina Wagon which I still love after 6 years and in my opinion is probably one of the better all round cars so won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. The problem I see is I will have to go for an SUV to upgrade from this, and to be honest the new Holden stuff isn't interesting so will go somewhere else.

Also, in my work I do get to drive a lot of new and near new cars from various makes and a lot don't actually impress me. Drove a near new Holden Cruze the other day and while it was reasonably comfy and did the job, it had the worst gearbox ever and ruined any driving experience it could have potentially had, so that doesn't fill me with confidence on the new offerings.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I probably wont be interested in a new Holden if it is the FWD V6 variants we appear to be getting. Older models, look ill still look at them and love them.

Although, my interest has been waning for some time. The VE, I love my VE. However the quality just isnt there and its something that has been a staple of Australian cars. Even looking at the current Falcon line up - the engine bay reads "Hand Built In Geelong" and it shows. The VF, is amazing car, yet again the finish is somewhat lacking on quite a lot of them.

I think the appeal or something new is also very exciting. I am extremely excited to see more Euro and American cars here at affordable levels.

I was actually discussing with my girlfriend about what I would get next if/when I sell the VE and we would look at getting a family car/fun car.

I dont like any of the more roomy options (like the Territory) from Holden and for a fun car, the 300's will be coming down in price around the 2018 mark so Id love to get one of them/finally buy my Firebird.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I'm guessing I'm not as old as Caliber lol, but I'm no spring chicken either.
Not sure where my love of Holdens came from because none of my family has ever really been much into cars, letalone been loyal to any particular brand.

I'm a fairly patriotic sort of person, so proud of our country and what we've achieved and are still capable of achieving. I really got hooked on Holdens when the first Commodore came out in 1978. I watched them conquer the mountain at Bathurst, idolised Brock. I was so proud when Australia's own car took on some of the worlds finest touring cars at Bathurst and came out victorious. My first full time job was an apprentice mechanic at a Holden dealer, continued on as a Holden tech for another 6 years after that before leaving the trade. In that time got the opportunity to work on and drive brand new iconic cars like the VL Walkinshaw, SV5000 and VN Grp A which was a dream come true for me. I sat behind the wheel of a brand new 82 SS at a Brisbane motorshow as a 11 year kid, big proud smile on my face. The same car Brocky used to race. I vowed to my old man I would have my own when I grew up....

To be honest, my first big disappointment happened back in 1998 when Holden decided to stop production of the only true Australian V8 and replace it with an American import.
I lost a fair bit of passion in the models after that..... But still very proud of what Holden had achieved, particularly with the VE/VF, being the first clean sheet Australian designed Commodore (apart from the engine/driveline of course...) Even more impressive that GM in the US recognised the VE/Zeta platform and used it for their own Camaro for many years.

2017 the Australian Holden comes to a sad end...... To me that's the end of Holden. The main thing that made the Australian Holdens special was the fact that they were designed (or at least redesigned in the case of the earlier Opel derived Holdens) by Australians in Australia. Even better when they were powered by Australian engines. In the earlier days they weren't exactly what you'd consider a 'world class car', but the brand improved with each model. Now with the VF, I truly believe Holden does have a world class car. Ok it's not going to match Europe's finest as far as build quality and technology goes, but it's no longer lagging far behind. It's now in the ballpark in many ways at least represents better value for money.

So when Holden ceases local production in 2017, what differs Holden from all the other brands ? Nothing.....
If I'm in the market for a new car, Holden just becomes one of the multitudes of other imported cars now. If it so happens that out of all the cars I consider, a Holden offers the features I want and the best value then it will make the short list. But otherwise brand loyalty will no longer be a factor in my decision making.

I'll hold onto and treasure my true Aussie Holden V8 powered, Australian built VH Commodore with pride. It represents something this country used to be proud of. Yeah it's build quality and technology even for it's era is lacking.... But hey most dinki-di Aussies are honest, simple, fairly rugged and a bit rough around the edges as well.

Thanks for the memories Holden, been a big part of my life, goodbye to the once 'proud Australian'.......

Last edited: