Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The Opel 4 speed was introduced in the HR around July 67 and finally replaced by the aussie 4 speed in July 71 with the introduction of the HQ. The LC originally had the Opel but it was also replaced at the time the HQ came in.

Mine must have been an early 71, but it did end up with an Aussie 4 speed in it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You missed the point. We didn't carry on like a party of old moles when the Kingswood was eventually replaced by a car that carried the name Kommodore. It wasn't Holden's name, it was Opel's.

Commodore was not that popular in the early days was it?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
You missed the point. We didn't carry on like a party of old moles when the Kingswood was eventually replaced by a car that carried the name Kommodore. It wasn't Holden's name, it was Opel's.

Fair point , but also take into consideration that social media was not about in 1978, and also the media were more balanced, times have changed after 40 years .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The Opel 4 speed was introduced in the HR around July 67 and finally replaced by the aussie 4 speed in July 71 with the introduction of the HQ. The LC originally had the Opel but it was also replaced at the time the HQ came in.

What about the early UC wasn't that a Opel box and engine? My mate had an Aussie in his 6cyl and my box was a fair bit different to his. His had a cable clutch too where as I had a hydraulic clutch.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Had a '71 LC GTR that had an Opel (pox)box...

I had a HK 186S with the Opel box. It was the duck’s guts, like a 5 speed with no 3rd. Great for overtaking. And it was the only bullet proof bit of that car, because the body was full of rust and the motor was gone after about 100,000 miles.
In contrast, the LH that replaced it with the Aussie box, was like a 5 speed with 1st, 2nd and 3rd all the same ratio, no 4th and 5th somewhere in the distance. Horrible to use.
(But, I've just realised this is all a long way from the subject of the thread)

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Opel drive lines were already introduced in 1967, not only with that wretched gearbox as previously mentioned by "Calaber" that was used behind all the 6 cylinder sports models up to around early 1971 when it was replaced by the "All Australian 4 Speed" but remember the first Torana which was basically an Opel / Vauxhall. That awful HB had a complete Opel drive line as did all the following 4 Cylinder Torana models and Sunbirds until the introduction of the Backfire 4 which was actually a cut down version of the 173 and not the 202 as previously stated.

Regardless Opel has been a long term supplier to all GM branding outlets for many years, so now is no different apart from the fact that GM has parted ways with Opel and is now stuck in a contract that it can't weezle it's way out of.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I had a HK 186S with the Opel box. It was the duck’s guts, like a 5 speed with no 3rd. Great for overtaking. And it was the only bullet proof bit of that car, because the body was full of rust and the motor was gone after about 100,000 miles.

I can't believe that statement as gearbox builders had a never ending line up of boxes to rebuild.

They would blow up one by one with it being no where near strong enough to handle the output power of the Holden 6 cylinders and especially if they had performance modifications made. Just look at the physical size of an Opel box versus the "All Australian 4 Speed". The latter was most certainly a better option in its day as there wasn't anything better apart from the Saginaw which was the "Heavy Duty 4 Speed Option" but that option was rarely taken up by purchasers as it was priced way too high.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had a UC Sunbird that had the Opel box and it was ok for what it was. It certainly wasn't as tight as my mates who had a 173 and a 202 with Aussie box's. But my clutch was far easier to engage as they had cable clutches as apposed to my hydraulic. AFAIK the diffs in the Sunbird weren't as strong as the 6cyl ones either, unless it was just ratios?? But I remember some people used to swap the Opel engines for Holden 6cyls and would have trouble with diffs if they weren't real easy on them. I actually didn't mind the Opel engine either, until it broke down. I think from new they would have been ok for the era and technology. Mine was just stuffed at 140k. First a burnt out valve, then timing chain, then oil burning and finally badly rattling engine because I didn't check the oil for a few weeks. But like I said economy was excellent and was comparable to some other smaller, lighter 4cyls of that era. Downside, the UC was not Holden's most attractive car ever built. Sorta like comparing a VF to a ZB the UC was never going look as nice as the LH/LX and same goes with the ZB. The VF looks nice, where as the ZB, not so much....

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Fair point , but also take into consideration that social media was not about in 1978, and also the media were more balanced, times have changed after 40 years .

no one cares about anyone either, aussies don't care about other aussies just themselves.