Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wonky VZ Glove Box

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
lucky i looked in here haha..my glovey stoppers have broken too and i tried to fix them myself by filling in the gaps of the triangle with silicon glue..it worked for about a week and they broke again..trip to holden for non breakable ones :thumbsup:

justdofit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Sedan & VZ SVZ Wagon. RIP: VZ SS Ute
My apologies for the epic thread dig (and first post in 5 years)...

Just thought I'd post a fix for the common wonky glove box problem.

I have just recently purchased a second VZ commodore (VZ SVZ wagon for the family) in addition to my beloved VZ SV6, and one stand out thing I noticed about the new car was how nice and straight the glovebox was (I previously [before the family grew to 3] owned a VZ SS ute and it also suffered form glovebox droop).

Being such I common problem, I was surprised at this anomaly - so I pulled out the glove box and noticed that the hinge clips were two different colours and shape. The clip on the left was the standard grey clip and the clip on the right was blue and mounted slightly lower than the grey one, the offset in height compensating for the lean in the glovebox.

A quick call to local holden spare parts revealed that a revised clip was released in early '07. I ordered one, picked it up and installed it in the same manor as the SVZ and sloping glove box fixed for the sum of $1.80.

For those suffering the same problem the part numbers are as follows:
  • Standard grey hinge clip (for the left) : 92210498
  • Revised blue hinge clip (for the right) : 92189069

Pictures for those interested (apologies for the low quality phone pics)
img0398lj.jpg

img0399c.jpg

img0400hk.jpg

Jimako87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8Z
Great tip with the hinge clips, I've just done that to my CV8Z Monaro and it works great. It lowers the right side of the glove box, so I guess both sides are dropped slightly (which makes it look straight).
The only issue I now have, is the clip which holds the glove box closed. To close the glove box I need to give it a real hard push, and same to open (which doesn't feel right). But if I loosen the screws which hold the metal clip, the glove box closes well (but the clip is just hanging there on loose screws).
Any suggestions there?

justdofit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Sedan & VZ SVZ Wagon. RIP: VZ SS Ute
Great tip with the hinge clips, I've just done that to my CV8Z Monaro and it works great. It lowers the right side of the glove box, so I guess both sides are dropped slightly (which makes it look straight).
The only issue I now have, is the clip which holds the glove box closed. To close the glove box I need to give it a real hard push, and same to open (which doesn't feel right). But if I loosen the screws which hold the metal clip, the glove box closes well (but the clip is just hanging there on loose screws).
Any suggestions there?

Ah, I had the same problem - I found that shaving the plastic insulation down slightly on the metal clip fixed the problem :beer chug:

PHaSR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LUMINA
mine sags from tryin to fit too much **** in it once and slamming it to try and get the pissweak latch to catch,
good solution is to kick the **** out of it until your rage subsides, realise youre just not gonna fit 10cds and a couple of dvds in there with cases on and deal with it sagging, its only really noticeable to you and other commodore owners, and when the doors closed its even less noticeable, note:- this "kick the **** out of it" method works for pretty much all commodore related problems.
:)

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Any suggestions there?

I actually ordered these "blue clips" from Windsor Holden (great service btw) and they came in today. My VY had two grey clips, glove box never had any problems, but I broke the right clip by accident so I decided to go on Windsor Holden's eBay since I bought some clips from there before. Anyway I saw the grey clips, then I saw the blue ones and they were marked as "improved strength". Was only three bucks more so I figured what the hell, probably a bit thicker or something.

I put a blue one in on the right side, was wonky like the picture from the first post. Anyway so put both blue clips on, and the glovebox is straight and all, but like you my glove box doesn't latch properly and is really hard to open and close, I actually panicked a bit because it got stuck lol. Anyway, I think these blue clips must go on another series or particular model or something, because the latch and catch plate don't align properly with these blue clips in my VY Berlina S2.

v8steve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
mine sags from tryin to fit too much **** in it once and slamming it to try and get the pissweak latch to catch,
good solution is to kick the **** out of it until your rage subsides, realise youre just not gonna fit 10cds and a couple of dvds in there with cases on and deal with it sagging, its only really noticeable to you and other commodore owners, and when the doors closed its even less noticeable, note:- this "kick the **** out of it" method works for pretty much all commodore related problems.
:)

f@#*in classic :)