Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth upgrading Headers & cats on VE SSV?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Also 15 at the wheels is a substantial increase.

No no no, +107hp atw is a substantial increase, and I'm very happy with that given my aim was for fat, flat torque from low. That's where Tri-Y's really exceed over 4-1 long tubes (unless you cane WOT >5000rpm everywhere), and 1.75 primaries into 2.5 secondaries means scavenging (and exhaust pulse 'burble') happens from about 900rpm, sweet secondaries come in at around 3000rpm. Yours a lot further up the tacho I suspect?
Economy... still running AFM? Gotta love 7.4l/100k @ $1.09 a litre!
If I had my time again I would go Duspeed OTR for sure, the one that VCM copied, but have made my bed with mods to grille, thermo blanket and ramjet before radiator to overcome the Orrsom closed lid blues. Only did the mod after demo and then luckily a carrion-eating pigeon whacked a massive hole in the grill @ 180k, made me look at some alternate intake options.
BTW my subwoofer has more than 15hp!

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I'll say exactly what I said about 15 posts ago.

HSV headers and cats are not as good as aftermarket headers and cats.

HSV MALLOO 6.2L WITH CAM VCM OTR AND XFORCE CATBACK (2.5") 320RWKW, EXACTLY THE SAME CAR WITH XFORCE EXTRACTORS AND HIGHFLOW CATS 360RWKW.

I can get the dyno sheets and upload them if you would like.

If you think HSV Headers are so good along with their cats. I'll give them to you for $500 including freight and the cats. I've got about 4 sets of them sitting here. Maybe you can try flog em off on ebay including cats for $700 a pop and tell people how much better they are then kpm, vcm, pacemaker, xforce etc.... Also I noticed in your signature your claims are on E85... tuning a car on e85 is a big ####ing difference. because it has higher octane rating it burns easier and allows you to run more timing higher in the RPM range. you would crack 300rwkw if you had decent headers and cats on there instead of the HSV **** tuning on e85

Thanks for that, I paid $100 for headers though, makes a difference to the equation on non-cammed poor-boy work car!
Mate, just to be clear, I said that it is good value mod for N/A or non-cammed L76/L77 that sound like the SUX6000 vacuum cleaner pursuit vehicle from RoboCop. I got good gain, was worth passing on. BUT also said if you have the dough and run the gauntlet with drivetrain warranty go the whole hog - more power to you... literally!
Sheesh! I know custom pipes and cats are brilliant, just that scabby bastards like me can, unless they are going to cam or forced, get away with good power gain for $500.

Cam changes everything, agreed. For unopened L77 with AFM cam 290rwkw is good, no?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I noticed in your signature your claims are on E85... tuning a car on e85 is a big ####ing difference. because it has higher octane rating it burns easier and allows you to run more timing higher in the RPM range. you would crack 300rwkw if you had decent headers and cats on there instead of the HSV **** tuning on e85

OK ok! I'll ditch my super clever (I thought) mod in exchange for 'decent' headers and cats to chase The Illusive 300 using stock AFM cam when I get my tax back.
This is obviously not to just gain 10rwkw, but to service the 335rwkw AFM-2 VVT cam and milling that's going down.

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I'm not sure what you're saying lol?

I'm confident you will crack 300rwkw with an unopened motor using e85 if you already have 290rwkw. If you go with Try-Y like you said you will gain down low torque but your top end will suffer.... if you go 4-1 you will see that 300 mark... :)

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
IMO 4-1 is the way to go. You don't see how hard a car goes by granny gearing it in the low revs. The small amount of low end torque lost is well and truly made up by adding high flow cats. That's my view on it some will agree some won't but try y`s are limited to what you can get out of them. The angle the stock cat's sit on is also a restriction. You will crack 300 fly wheel kw with a full system and tune with an intake no sweat.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Grumpy6L

Speed Addict
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV / Holden Colorado
Oh for sure man

I run full Difillipo system pretty costly but I was chasing a particular sound and got along with the power

4 into 1 is definitely the go, headers are the first line of restriction relating to exhaust flow - better flow = better go

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Agreed, this thread is HSV headers as cheap power option vs stock headers for those not looking to high rpm kw - better power, torque and sound for $500 ok.
It's clear that 4-1 and stainless hi-flow is better kw up top, however outright price and drivetrain warranty issues are considerable factors for many owners. 290rwkw from unopened AFM cam without forced induction from HSV headers is a watershed, I think.
Tri-Y HSV R8s get similar power (10rwkw+/-), better torque and good sound at a lower price.
The consensus is that if you are camming or adding power and don't care about torque or walllet then hells yeah do the 4-1 with steel cats.
This thread was originally about a practical discovery on how to maximize what you've got and have most of all of what you want for less than $500 on an L76/L77 auto.
Specifically, tuning the E38 using EFIlive's updated AFR calcs for e85 and tuning the gearbox in favour of big torque afforded by tri-y HSV.
It's NOT about which form of exhaust design ultimately has the most kw, particularly after mods, rather how to maximize what you have already and stay (sorta) legal, get power, get torque, and sound good from 900rpm.

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
Agreed, this thread is HSV headers as cheap power option vs stock headers for those not looking to high rpm kw - better power, torque and sound for $500 ok.
It's clear that 4-1 and stainless hi-flow is better kw up top, however outright price and drivetrain warranty issues are considerable factors for many owners. 290rwkw from unopened AFM cam without forced induction from HSV headers is a watershed, I think.
Tri-Y HSV R8s get similar power (10rwkw+/-), better torque and good sound at a lower price.
The consensus is that if you are camming or adding power and don't care about torque or walllet then hells yeah do the 4-1 with steel cats.
This thread was originally about a practical discovery on how to maximize what you've got and have most of all of what you want for less than $500 on an L76/L77 auto.
Specifically, tuning the E38 using EFIlive's updated AFR calcs for e85 and tuning the gearbox in favour of big torque afforded by tri-y HSV.
It's NOT about which form of exhaust design ultimately has the most kw, particularly after mods, rather how to maximize what you have already and stay (sorta) legal, get power, get torque, and sound good from 900rpm.

Well ive now bought a set of used HSV extractors an cats , really lookin forward to getting em put on now, hope they fit !
i like the bestbang4$ stuff.

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
Ok i got my new used hsv extractors and cats put on today . before i took em in i ported the primaries , there was alot of weld and crap that looked like it could restrict flow so i spent a hour on them with a dremmel smoothing them out, went through 2 grinding stones, came up nice !
i guess It was worth it, I noticed a good increase in urge and the sound is great,
the mid section is still stock SS
2.5 JPipe axle backs

The trip back from the Holden dealer is 24kms away , The fuel economy seems like its got a bit worse than my usual 10.4 lph, but i did give some stick... u no...testing it :) it was a hot day tho and i did have the stock manifolds and cats in the trunk and a full tank.
anyway i hope to get a remote done soon but will to put a cai first,

funfun

Last edited:

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
More Fun today

The Hsv tri y s ( ported by me) HAVE made an improvement in fuel economy over the cast iron manifold, instead of her usual 10.3 she did 9.8 lph average on my regular 50km trip to town and back!
And i got to boot it on the hill.:yeah: it goes better now too!

The motor sounds great , more smooth than before .

But, the exhaust tips look rather dirty now , usually so clean , maybe some crap getting blown out of the exhaust with the extra flow ?

Oddly it seems quieter inside the car now with my ported tri ys on than it did before ?.

oh yes and i pulled the trigger on a Walkinshaw cai and its on the way .