Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth upgrading Headers & cats on VE SSV?

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
470rwkw Twin Turbo VE SS-V
I wouldnt bother unless i was doing Headers as well.

Ahhh that's fair enough then. Was just thinking back to the case of my R33 when the supposed high-flow cat was restricting enough for the car to gain almost 20rwkw after dropping the cat, so though might be a similar case with the V8s.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Just wondering, how much of a restriction is the cats on the SSV? Is there any tangible difference if the stockers were swapped out for something high-flow?

No. Not unless you change cam of force induction.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I see you also have an xforce exhaust? And claim 620nm at the wheels? And a "modded" orssom otr? I rest my case. Captain half arse.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Settle petal! All I'm saying is do the research on exhaust engineering to I understand your engine better, spend the money on tunes and modern technology not some 1950's hot rod wives tales.
I don't claim 620nm... two very different dynos. Anyways programming the torque delivery can change this 50% up or down - I like it where it is for my driving need.
The Orrsom mod is to maintain airflow with the bonnet down as, like many otr setups, you lose 15rwkw with the lid shut. So yeah, I'm captain half arse for getting my killerwasps back.
PS don't flame, not cool, get your arse burned or booted.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Well don't attack my inteligence and call Me gullible for being "sucked" in by an exhaust place to buy something you claim ismt worth it I take offense. So before you say I'll be Burned and booted don't take pot shots at me.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Agreed. Please refer to my posts across several related threads regarding my humble suggestion to fellow members that this change to exhaust method, for less than $500, is a real bargain.
I also point out that if you can afford a shiny system then more power to you, but in doing so you've clearly stuffed your drivetrain warranty.
Also my thoughts are if I spend more money on the exhaust will result in diminishing return - say 10rwkw max - over current tune.
I am possibly wrong, but not according to EFIlive, VCM and the experience of my two tuners.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Shiny system? VCM don't polish there systems. There black actually. I'm not saying it won't improve the power but you made the claim that highflow cats are basically pointless and a waste of money. That's not true at all. You can! Easily gain 15 hp at the wheels from cats.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Shiny system? VCM don't polish there systems. There black actually. I'm not saying it won't improve the power but you made the claim that highflow cats are basically pointless and a waste of money. That's not true at all. You can! Easily gain 15 hp at the wheels from cats.

Fair enough, it's not pointless if you are really intent on working the engine over like cam (changing the heart of engine), twin turbo or supercharging.
Thats not me, I just don't have the time, money or balls to drive a highly illegal car that's not even covered by third party!!
I run booze interstate, not a racer, in my case I can't justify the necessity and more than twice the outlay for 15hp.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
It's not all about power. Sound acceleration and fuel economy also improve. I just don't understand your logic of pointless. If it creates power nothing is "pointless" going to a k&n panel filter IMO although it's a cheap mod is relatively pointless. Changing headers, cats, intake or exhaust is never pointless. Bottom line is holden/hsv cats are really bad.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Also 15 at the wheels is a substantial increase.

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I'll say exactly what I said about 15 posts ago.

HSV headers and cats are not as good as aftermarket headers and cats.

HSV MALLOO 6.2L WITH CAM VCM OTR AND XFORCE CATBACK (2.5") 320RWKW, EXACTLY THE SAME CAR WITH XFORCE EXTRACTORS AND HIGHFLOW CATS 360RWKW.

I can get the dyno sheets and upload them if you would like.

If you think HSV Headers are so good along with their cats. I'll give them to you for $500 including freight and the cats. I've got about 4 sets of them sitting here. Maybe you can try flog em off on ebay including cats for $700 a pop and tell people how much better they are then kpm, vcm, pacemaker, xforce etc.... Also I noticed in your signature your claims are on E85... tuning a car on e85 is a big ####ing difference. because it has higher octane rating it burns easier and allows you to run more timing higher in the RPM range. you would crack 300rwkw if you had decent headers and cats on there instead of the HSV **** tuning on e85