Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Commodore 8sp VS 9sp.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
One other advantage of the 9 speed is the super tall 9th gear ratio.
We went from Auckland to Hamilton return today to see some relatives and enjoyed the new Waikato expressway. Its mostly flat running and as we weren't in any particular hurry I set the adaptive cruise for 100 k.p.h. (which is only about 1400-1500 revs in 9th gear) and got 6.8 L / 100 km's each way even with the air-conditioning on full blast ! My wife's relatives were very impressed with our Calais V especially the shape and they're Ford people so that was a nice bonus :)

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
When you put it in manual mode, do u find the 9sp responsive and does it shift accordingly to your shifts?

It's nowhere near as immediate as a DSG, up or down . But what the auto box is that a DSG is not is creamy smooth at low speed around town, I get positive comments about it from my passengers all the time. Comparing the VXRs 9 speed auto with DSG equipped 2017 VW Golf R and 2019 Skoda Superb Sportline I've driven (same VAG engine+drivetrain), the ZBs auto box is far more intelligent in auto mode and in the sport mode is way better at selecting gears. I'd go so far as to suggest it's a good thing the DSG boxes have less gears because otherwise they'd struggle. One thing automatic boxes have been able to do for decades is kick down multiple gears fairly rapidly. DSGs by design have to sequentially change up and down so doing what @Anthony121 suggested with a DSG in auto mode would be a very convenient way to inflict whiplash on your passengers and put pretty nasty shock loads through your DSG. Not something I'd recommend for the longevity of your DSG or the money in your back pocket.

@GTOPB I am not sure if you have test driven a VXR yet, but when you do make sure you find a twisty section of country tarmac, select VXR mode, leave the gearbox in auto, and drive it hard. That is where the VXR truly comes into its own. If that experience doesn't impress you then you need to buy something else.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
One other advantage of the 9 speed is the super tall 9th gear ratio.
We went from Auckland to Hamilton return today to see some relatives and enjoyed the new Waikato expressway. Its mostly flat running and as we weren't in any particular hurry I set the adaptive cruise for 100 k.p.h. (which is only about 1400-1500 revs in 9th gear) and got 6.8 L / 100 km's each way even with the air-conditioning on full blast ! My wife's relatives were very impressed with our Calais V especially the shape and they're Ford people so that was a nice bonus :)
I can verify that fuel consumption. Over the same route I get 6.7 with 107 to 110 set on the cruise control. My best over the last 100 km is 6.4L/100 km.

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
...Find a twisty section of country tarmac, select VXR mode, leave the gearbox in auto, and drive it hard. That is where the VXR truly comes into its own...
^ This 100%

And at risk of taking this thread on too much of a tangent... I can report similar V6 fuel consumption. With the active fuel management, it's efficient when you want it to be. I'm usually too tempted by the sound of the V6 at 5k+ rpm to get that efficiency all the time though lol. It's gotta be one of the best sounding NA V6s I've heard.
My best "Last 50 mi" (80 km) is 39.2 mpg (6 L/100km).
Optimized-Last 50 Miles.jpg

It was mostly highway driving and for the entire 192 mi (312 km) trip, I averaged a speed of 59 mph (95 kph), and got 32.2 mpg (7.3 L/100km). I should also note that I was drafting a semi for some of the trip which definitely helped.
Optimized-Trip Average.jpg

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
That's pretty damn impressive. In our imperial MPG of days gone by that equates to 47 MPG. We used to think anything over 30 MPG for a 6 cylinder of around 3.5 litres capacity to be very good.

Had a relative ask me today what sort of fuel economy I was getting. He though about 10 L/100 km (23.5 m/USG, 28.24 m/ Imp Gal). He was quite surprised when I told him what I can get. Today going Hamilton to Taupo return I got 7.7L/100km over some twisty hilly roads.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i have mentioned it before with my v6 and most of my driving is at 100kph on country roads i average around 7.5l per 100, around the city it will go upto high 9's because i give it herbs but at 100kph on cruise it is pretty decent.

i had a laugh the other day, at the lights my wife dragged a vf sv6 with some fart ass sounding exhaust and the zb smoked that thing like it was a yaris lol

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
i had a laugh the other day, at the lights my wife dragged a vf sv6 with some fart ass sounding exhaust and the zb smoked that thing like it was a yaris lol

I'd be keen to get both on a track and see how they do. All I've heard was that the VXR was around a second slower around Winton than a VF2-SSV Redline. I reckon a SV6 would have no chance whatsoever.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Yep, I'd really like to see them both on the track together.

This guy took a ZB VXR to the skid pan at Hampton Downs and put it up against his SS and a mates VZ V6 Ute. Naturally the ZB wasn't as exciting as the SS or the Ute due to the AWD system not allowing the ZB to drift like the other two cars. I really wish he'd put them up against each other on the race track. I suspect both the SS and the Ute would have been put to shame.

I think he lost the plot somewhat with this video. Even though the attraction for some people is to be able to "hang the tail out" the ability to effortlessly traverse the open highway is really what most owners want and the ZB does that in spades.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
He's just representing the opinion of old school Commodore owners, a lot of which frequent this forum. My opinion is that the tests they used were heavily skewed in favour of RWD cars so the outcome was never in doubt.

If it was something like who has the best equipment spec, the best fuel economy, or who is the fastest point to point car in wet conditions, the outcome would be a different forgone conclusion.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
they pointed out the very thing that makes the zb awesome to drive and that is it sticks like sh!t to a blanket.