Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Gearbox issues

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Would be interested in knowing if the Police are having any issues with the V6 version. I don't know if the are the same gear box.

Yep same boxes.
My v6/9 speed has about 60,000km on it without any problems yet.

rlpozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS Wagon
Interesting, I'm wondering if there is a bad batch from the factoring with metal filings from milling etc, that have not been cleaned properly prior to assembly and this is being picked up and blocking the valve body??

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Interesting, I'm wondering if there is a bad batch from the factoring with metal filings from milling etc, that have not been cleaned properly prior to assembly and this is being picked up and blocking the valve body??
I think it has been mentioned elsewhere that there was a problem like this at the factory affecting some gearboxes.

ndorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR 3.6lt Commodore
Anybody had an issue with their gearbox in the ZB 2.0lt version? My gearbox starting behaving erracticly last night coming home from work and the engine check light appeared about 2ks from home. I limped it straight to Holden in the morning and they are talking about replacing the gearbox.
Here we go again! I have had transmission problems in my 3.6 VXR Commodore almost since the day I purchased it. The Holden dealer has tried various software fixes & updates all to no avail. Holden Technical department seems to play around the edges hoping the problem will solve itself or go away. The first time I had a problem the car spent approx. 1 month in the Holden service centre, this time it has been off the road again for 4 weeks plus another week at the Dealership waiting for Holden Tech's to diagnose & find a solution. The transmission is clearly faulty. Unnecessary & annoyingly frustrating!!

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
I'm amazed that there have been no reported trans issues with the Regal GS. Some relatively new info indicated that only 1,319 were sold in the US, so maybe it's just the small population and and even smaller sample size on the forums. I have praised the trans and it's reliability thus far but I may have spoken too soon. Hopefully it is just an isolated "bad batch".

knight001

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB MY19 Holden Commodore VXR A9 3.6Ltr
Here we go again! I have had transmission problems in my 3.6 VXR Commodore almost since the day I purchased it. The Holden dealer has tried various software fixes & updates all to no avail. Holden Technical department seems to play around the edges hoping the problem will solve itself or go away. The first time I had a problem the car spent approx. 1 month in the Holden service centre, this time it has been off the road again for 4 weeks plus another week at the Dealership waiting for Holden Tech's to diagnose & find a solution. The transmission is clearly faulty. Unnecessary & annoyingly frustrating!!

Hey mate… What sort of issue are you having with your auto? Like the symptoms??

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I'm amazed that there have been no reported trans issues with the Regal GS. Some relatively new info indicated that only 1,319 were sold in the US, so maybe it's just the small population and and even smaller sample size on the forums. I have praised the trans and it's reliability thus far but I may have spoken too soon. Hopefully it is just an isolated "bad batch".

I cant really see an exact zb model figure but in 2018 they sold 9000 commodores and in 2019 they sold 5900 commodores.

I would say it is a bad batch, i see quite a few zb's getting around civilian and police/govt.
If it was really common i would expect to see more chatter about it like many of the other common holden issues in the past.

Something else interesting to see in that link above is the steady decline in commodore sales since 2010.
It really shows how people changed what class of vehicles they preferred.

If the vf was the last commodore it would have been the worst selling model since atleast 1996, luckily the zb was the mule to take that title.

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
That's an interesting graph. I would assume many other sedans follow a similar trend. Our Regal sales are similar to yours. I don't want to get too far off topic so I'll just post the link to a chart here for anyone that's interested.

While our sales numbers are barely worth noting, the amount of Regals sold in China the past few years has been over the six figure mark. Like the Holdens of old, the Regal sold in China is also built there. I wonder if they also favor a "home built" vehicle. Crazy how much of a difference manufacturing capability, marketing, and perception has on sales.

Anyway, I wish there was a way to tap into the data they have with so many cars on the road. Not that it helps in this thread because only North America and Australasia have the V6 paired with the 9 speed.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Something else interesting to see in that link above is the steady decline in commodore sales since 2010.

I checked the numbers and the total volume of Commodore sales had been in decline since 2003, the VY series being the high water mark.

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
Anybody had an issue with their gearbox in the ZB 2.0lt version? My gearbox starting behaving erracticly last night coming home from work and the engine check light appeared about 2ks from home. I limped it straight to Holden in the morning and they are talking about replacing the gearbox.
I know this is an old issue ., I presume this is the rs 4 cyl petrol turbo ..?
what wasvthe outcome, what was precisely wrong and what did they do .. still have the car .. and ..??