Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Gearbox issues

CalikL

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB V6 VXR 2019
Hi guys,
I'm new here and I've got other gearbox related question. Sometimes shifting into drive the "D" just blinks for around 5 seconds and car behaves like it is in neutral. After that, you can feel car shifts into drive and you're good to go.

Any ideas?

jcn000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Will this issue be in zb RSV that already has 30k+ km on it? I might be considering getting a used one.

TeePee53

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV
Will this issue be in zb RSV that already has 30k+ km on it? I might be considering getting a used one.
I have a RSV with 36k, the auto has been flawless so far, the changes in gears are almost not noticeable and the only way to tell is the change in exhaust noise. I did notice some say they had issues about 12 months ago with some very low km cars. All I can go ion is mine has been great and extremely smooth.

jcn000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I have a RSV with 36k, the auto has been flawless so far, the changes in gears are almost not noticeable and the only way to tell is the change in exhaust noise. I did notice some say they had issues about 12 months ago with some very low km cars. All I can go ion is mine has been great and extremely smooth.

It really does seem like a good car from YouTube reviews I have watched.

Ravel

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Wagon 2.0
Hi All, i realise this thread started a while ago but a Google search brought me here. I bought a ZB wagon 2.0 a month ago. Only had 19,000 on it. This last week it seems to be struggling to change gears soon after take off and lagging in 2nd/3rd (could be higher gears I've never driven more than 4 speed before) feels like it's stuck in a low gear. It eventually gets going but there's def something not right. Is this what others experienced when thier transmissions went stupid? It's booked in to be looked at in 5 days where I bought and is still under thier warranty. I'm new to Commodores. Cheers

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I understand there is a feature of the gearbox that controls the upshift based on what is happening with throttle inputs. For example if you back off on the throttle rather quickly at low speeds, like when you slow for a turn at an intersection, rather upshift like some autos do when the load comes off the engine, this gear box stays in the same gear in the anticipation of you accelerating again.

As a result it can hold a lower gear longer than you expect and give the impression it is struggling to change gears.

Here is an explanation of the sort of thing I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure the gearboxes in the ZB have something like this from what I've read on the Buick forum. The 2018 - 2020 Buicks are basically the same as the ZB but they have a light when PAL activates.

Last edited:

Ravel

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Wagon 2.0
I understand there is a feature of the gearbox that controls the upshift based on what is happening with throttle inputs. For example if you back off on the throttle rather quickly at low speeds, like when you slow for a turn at an intersection, rather upshift like some autos do when the load comes off the engine, this gear box stays in the same gear in the anticipation of you accelerating again.

As a result it can hold a lower gear longer than you expect and give the impression it is struggling to change gears.

Here is an explanation of the sort of thing I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure the gearboxes in the ZB have something like this from what I've read on the Buick forum. The 2018 - 2020 Buicks are basically the same as the ZB but they have a light when PAL activates.

[/URL]
Thanks for replying and for the shared article- interesting read. It feels at times that it's in such a low gear that I'm hardly accelerating at all. Definitely wasn't like that the first 2 weeks I had it. I'm a very regular sedate driver these days - the PAL is wasted on me lol!. Thanks again for your response.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Drive the car under 60 km's and press the accelerator pedal quickly twice and see what it does.