Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Q&A

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
WA use them up to 130k, getting the money's worth. I build and strip the utes with the Centaur pods on the back. The VF's hold up a lot better than the VE interior wise. Mechanically they are actually quite durable even after lugging 500kgs of pod and all the Police addons around for their life. Once stripped and reverted back to stock they still drive pretty well. There are still VEs in service here.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
generally , they are fairly knackered when they are replaced , I can't speak for the Australian police , over here they were getting sent off to auction when they get to around 100,000 K , as mentioned , fairly knackered , as an aside , very easy to tell them at the auctions , plain white , or a plain colour , holes in the dash , boot and roof , and scuffed up side bolsters on the seats , and vinyl back seats on some , (easily cleaned) , and a faint whiff of Dettol inside .

They're getting better over here. The QLD police usually run them to around 90k, they've made up brackets and remove trims to replace with their own gear on a lot of their cars so when they're done they refit the factory trims and you'd never know any better - they cut their stickers around badges and overall do as much as they can so they can return the cars to dead stock when they're finished and you'd never tell apart from the wear and tear.

It would increase resale at auction so it would have tangible benefits for them when it comes time to flip it I suppose.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
They're getting better over here. The QLD police usually run them to around 90k, they've made up brackets and remove trims to replace with their own gear on a lot of their cars so when they're done they refit the factory trims and you'd never know any better - they cut their stickers around badges and overall do as much as they can so they can return the cars to dead stock when they're finished and you'd never tell apart from the wear and tear.

It would increase resale at auction so it would have tangible benefits for them when it comes time to flip it I suppose.

I know we’re going off topic, but it amazes me how people think when they’re buying an ex police car , they get something special.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
do as much as they can so they can return the cars to dead stock when they're finished and you'd never tell apart from the wear and tear.

Bit dishonest to sell these cars to Mum and Dads after tidying them up and putting a "one owner" Low KMS notice on the dash. Police force should just drive them into the ground, scrap them, use their own wrecks to repair their own.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Bit dishonest to sell these cars to Mum and Dads after tidying them up and putting a "one owner" Low KMS notice on the dash. Police force should just drive them into the ground, scrap them, use their own wrecks to repair their own.
Not sure about other states but in NSW, the cars are leased. That 60k limit i mentioned was the economical working life for the cars to ensure maximum resale at auction in 2008.

If they are running them to 90k now, things have sure changed in 10 years.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Are you sure about NSW going to 90k? I worked for that department until 2008 and it had only been increased to 60k from 40k a few years earlier.
It changed to 90k a few years back. I'm guessing the end of falcon production and future end of the SS made the increase in kms use decision for them?
Jump onto carsales or auction sites and you'll find a lot of cheap debaged VF SS's and XR6 turbos with 90,000 ks on them as proof.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Buyer beware i guess. There's plenty of indicators to alert the customers. A 2 year old car with 90,000 ks on it, all the badges removed and priced a heap cheaper than all others on the market. That should be warning enough for the average buyer. People after a bargain price car might get caught out i suppose.
I agree the 1 owner tag line they use in the ads for these is pretty deceiving though.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Buyer beware i guess. There's plenty of indicators to alert the customers. A 2 year old car with 90,000 ks on it, all the badges removed and priced a heap cheaper than all others on the market. That should be warning enough for the average buyer. People after a bargain price car might get caught out i suppose.
I agree the 1 owner tag line they use in the ads for these is pretty deceiving though.

one owner yes , but several less than caring drivers , anyway back on topic , has a look at the new ZB's at the local dealer , as I've mentioned they do look better in the flesh , the front isn't that bad looking either , and the finish inside is very Germanic ,