Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Door leak

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
In all the heavy rain today the back passengers door on my VY sedan has leaked again and there was a lot of water on the floor. It happened about 12 month ago and I removed and resealed the plastic seal behind the door card to the door. This stopped the leak and whenever the car was washed or driven in the rain it did not leak however today in the heavy rain it was parked outside and a fair bit of water got in.
Has anyone had similar issues with their VY's and found a solution? Looking at it there is a lot of water on the door under the door trim, inside the door seal so I think it must be coming out from under the door trim. The drain holes in the door are not blocked and it's just this one door. I'm going to take it apart and check it again and may reseal it again, if anyone has resealed one of these what did you use?

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
new window/door rubbers maybe? are the drain holes blocked?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
new window/door rubbers maybe? are the drain holes blocked?

The drain holes are open and it has the revised rubber plugs that have a hole in them. The door rubbers around the top of the door all look to be OK and no sign of water gettign past them. I'll have a look at the rubber on the botton edge but I think it may be coming from behind the door card again.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Hey, Wortus, mine leaks there too, but only when I wash the car, only the back doors. Seems to get in along the bottom rubber of the door. It's only a small amount, mind you, like a bit on the inside door rubber and it may sometimes leak onto the carpet. Wasn't it a pretty common thing on the VY's?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey, Wortus, mine leaks there too, but only when I wash the car, only the back doors. Seems to get in along the bottom rubber of the door. It's only a small amount, mind you, like a bit on the inside door rubber and it may sometimes leak onto the carpet. Wasn't it a pretty common thing on the VY's?

I think some VY's leak, mine got slightly wet once or twice when I washed it and it got a lot of water in it during a big storm. I resealed the door seal and it was fine no leaks at all except for the wet weather in Sdney yesterday. The other doors are fine, this door has been worked on by Holden under warranty and the seal was a bit damaged so I got a new one from Holden and will fit it. Have you had your door trims off to check?
I think this is water getting through the seal and coming in at the bottom of the door card as the card was wet inside last time and it looked like water had splashed out of the large hole in the door and collected in the seal between it and the door and slowly leaked out. There not good seals and I think the type on a VN are much better, they are thicker plastic and blow moulded to the door shape.
What sealants do people use to stick it to the door?

Last edited:

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Wortus

There are a million and 1 adhesives for automotive use. Perhaps you could try the 3M adhesive product (in a tube)that is used for bonding rubber seals to body work. If it works for rubber body seals it should be OK for the door plastic and it is available here.

I would open the door and run a hose over the window for a while to check that the water entry is definitely from the inside of the door this time. It sounds like it. However, the bottom and lower side rubber seals on the pax rear door aperture are not quite as good as they should be on these cars and water can build up on the surface of the bottom seal adjacent to the scuff plate if enough water is run onto the door area.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
I took the door card off yeaterday and there was a fair bit of water sitting in between the plastic seal and the door frame under one of the large holes to get at the window mechanism etc. It looks like the sealant I used last time has dried out and there were places where it had come unstuck fromthe plastic. I am going to check out those other seals you mentioned but I think I will remove the current plastic again and clean off the old sealer from the door and try again with a urathane sealant/adhesive instead.
Hopefully it will fix it. Also there was a lot of water up the top of the door under the quarter window do you know if these are meant to leak? There was a bit of foam rubber there too which was saturated. There's a hole in the inside shell of door under the quarter about 10mm in diameter do you know if it is meantot have a bung in it?

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
------------------......... Also there was a lot of water up the top of the door under the quarter window do you know if these are meant to leak? There was a bit of foam rubber there too which was saturated. There's a hole in the inside shell of door under the quarter about 10mm in diameter do you know if it is meant ot have a bung in it?

No I do not know. I don't have any leaks around the quarter windows in the rear doors on my car as the seals are in very good nick. But then the car spends most of its time parked indoors or otherwise under cover and I have never had any damage or body repair work done on any part of the car either.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
No I do not know. I don't have any leaks around the quarter windows in the rear doors on my car as the seals are in very good nick. But then the car spends most of its time parked indoors or otherwise under cover and I have never had any damage or body repair work done on any part of the car either.

Thank, this car is in good nick too, no accident repairs and also spends a lot of time in the garage as it's hardly ever taken to work. Have you had your rear door trims off? At the top of the door inside behind the quarter window there is a bit of a channel with a lip the door card clips to and in this channel it's packed with foam rubber and water had got in there. I've got a new door seal and will be redoing it this week with a better sealant/adhesive compound.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes just the one on the rear driver's side a couple of years ago now. Did not see any water sealing problems then. Don't like the window seal design on the doors though.