Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

kavallero

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 6.0Ltr
I was wondering why Holden never produced their V8 or V6 cars with a front wheel drive?
That would change a lot about their extremely 'unstable' vehicles when it comes to driving in rainy conditions (let alone show).
Being a Holden owner for 28 yrs (starting from VB and owning every single model until VF) I always thought the rear wheel drive was the weakest feature of Holden vehicles.

/

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
To me, the NG will never become a mainstream model like traditional Commodores have been. The medium/large sedan and wagon segments of our new car market have been shrinking for years and I don't think the NG will reverse the trend.

Most members of the forum who have commented on the NG have been negative because of FWD and no V8 but the majority of VF sales are still V6 versions. It's pretty unlikely that there will be many new buyers on the forum but perhaps after a couple of years availability on the used car market, that might change.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
And then there's the tech/features that it has that VF can't match:
-panoramic roof
-electric tailgate on wagon
-wireless charging port
-apple CarPlay and android auto
-360 degree camera
-lane keep assist and radar cruise control
-heated rear seats
-ventilated front seats
-rear USB ports
-split fold rear seats (finally!)
To be honest, there is nothing on that list that appeals to me nor is even remotely necessary to me as a new car purchaser.
All I see is added cost and complexity for very little benefit, and a nightmare when things go wrong.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
I was wondering why Holden never produced their V8 or V6 cars with a front wheel drive?
That would change a lot about their extremely 'unstable' vehicles when it comes to driving in rainy conditions (let alone show).
Being a Holden owner for 28 yrs (starting from VB and owning every single model until VF) I always thought the rear wheel drive was the weakest feature of Holden vehicles.

/

A fwd V8? No thanks. The torque steer would be horrendous.
I would also hate to see what an engine bay with an east-west V8 would look like. It would be a nightmare to work on. V6 fwd are bad enough.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
In two minds on this one, need to move with the times is one side of the coin whereas the other is it isn't actually a Commodore.

Having said that we have small sections for other Holden variants ie Cruze, Barina etc.

I'm keeping an open mind as to what the future will hold, none of us particularly like change but learn to adapt and accept it.

When they come out will be the telling story, seeing pictures is one thing but flesh is another.

Just a side note, The VF Commodore section is titled 2013-? I think you can safely put 2017 in place of the question mark now.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Just a side note, The VF Commodore section is titled 2013-? I think you can safely put 2017 in place of the question mark now.

Certainly on the cards, this one has been playing on my mind the past few months.

I need to come up with a way of updating it but also redirecting links, links will be broken if 2017 is added.

That's the only reason it hadn't been done already.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The perception of FWD vehicles as being safer than RWD ones was all part of a marketing push by the car manufacturers when they all started moving to FWD because it was cheaper to make. Now in really, really slippery conditions (eg. snow & ice) it's actually a real thing; but we don't get that much of snow & ice in Australia.

Basically, if you drive a RWD car with a level of carelessness that leads to a lack of control, then driving as carelessly in a FWD car will also lead to a lack of control.
But you'll plough into something front-first rather than rear-first. :)

I would also hate to see what an engine bay with an east-west V8 would look like.
2008-volvo-s80-v8-a-sr-in-green-engine-b081r9.jpg

"Dagnabbit, there's an engine somewhere under all these covers!"
:D

To be honest, there is nothing on that list that appeals to me nor is even remotely necessary to me as a new car purchaser.
What about radar cruise?
And CarPlay or Android Auto, so your SatNav isn't stuck in 2012 forever?

Last edited:

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
What about radar cruise?
And CarPlay or Android Auto, so your SatNav isn't stuck in 2012 forever?

Nope, don't need any of it.
Driver assist aids are a w@nk imo and are only there to assist inept and poorly skilled drivers. I've survived perfectly well without them and don't intend to start using them now.
As for Android/Carplay, I was perfectly happy using cd's for my music and a Melway instead of a gps.
While I am not against progress and I see a lot of merit in new tech, I think a major downside is that it has made people dumb, lazy and inattentive.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I had the same thought. But then I thought, "No, that applies to manufacturing only. New will still be available, albeit limited, into 2018. Beyond that the VF will live on for many years too!"

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Nope, don't need any of it.
Driver assist aids are a w@nk imo and are only there to assist inept and poorly skilled drivers. I've survived perfectly well without them and don't intend to start using them now.
As for Android/Carplay, I was perfectly happy using cd's for my music and a Melway instead of a gps.
While I am not against progress and I see a lot of merit in new tech, I think a major downside is that it has made people dumb, lazy and inattentive.

I still use an analogue street directory, despite the jeers from the cool kids.