Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Oil

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Fair enough if you like magnatech by all means keep using it. But it's been said over many forums for all types of cars, (as andyman said) it builds up a black sludge. To me that sounds like the additives in the oil that makes it "bond" as their description states. I'll personally be avoiding it :)

With your reasoning, all of Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, Motul, Penrite Sin, Royal Purple, Castrol Edge should all be sludgers like this. I never said i use Magnatec, or particularly preferred it over any other oil. Theres plenty of oils i would rather use than it. Castrol Edge is worth using, its an excellent oil, the 0w40 and 10w60. The rest of them i am not so sure. As you have said, it could be some additives breaking down, the mineral base oil breaking down very quickly, but it is certainly not due to the ester which makes it stick. Like i said to you, Magnatec has 10-20% of this high quality stuff, and possibly 80% of poor quality stuff. I was just trying to explain to people how Magnatec and plenty of other oils stick. GT3 would have a very similar base, just thicker, and with or without the ester, depends how they want to market something. I have read threads of the GTX3 smelling in certain cars, is this true ?

MOTUL

Some info.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I use the factory fuchs oil 30 and it has no dramas ,is synthetic....no big claims or special bonding or technical crap ...just works and no noises at startup or hot...only drama is I gotta either get 2 x 5 litre containers or sweet talk the local parts dealer into giving me trade for the 6 litre container

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i thought knowing holden the factory fill would have been something along the lines of castrol edge 5w-30

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Oh yeah always let your engine warm up and take it easy before bringing it above 3000rpm. 90% of engine wear is done within the first 10 mins of driving. If you really love your car you should let it idle after a cold start for a minute.

Just quietly, that's frogshit. You do not need to warm cars up these days.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Just quietly, that's frogshit. You do not need to warm cars up these days.

You don't have to let it idle but you should not rev it out till it is at operating temperature. I use Nulon 10-40 full synthetic.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
i use castrol edge 10w-60.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
i thought knowing holden the factory fill would have been something along the lines of castrol edge 5w-30

Factory fill is one thing, as Holden from the plant are using it, what the dealerships use for dservicing is another thing. Edge 5w30 is not that expensive anyway. Holden would use what is best for run in of engine, offer good eco to make new customer happy and reduce maintenance so they will balance this up during the warranty period.

Ruzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Sv6 & E36 318i
You don't have to let it idle but you should not rev it out till it is at operating temperature. I use Nulon 10-40 full synthetic.

This is true, says it in every owners manual!