Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

/// KBAGZ' Impulse R8 Clubsport

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Have fun with the t50 ? bolt on that one , its a real bitch to remove if its never been removed . I just ended up welding mine to the bolt to remove it as it kept rounding out the bolt .

Penetrene and heat my friend, but I will be replacing that torx head to a normal hex head bolt, high grade tensile.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, I have some bad news and some good news.

Bad news: So I do an underbonnet inspection every weekend before I detail the car. Checked everything at my parent's place, all ok. Drove 4mins down the road to my place and popped to bonnet to start detailing. The moment I lift the bonnet, I find that the main accessory belt has torn a rib off and ripped a hole in the bonnet liner. Upon a further in depth inspection, it turned out to be the harmonic balancer had come loose and had begun pushing forward from the crank, putting the belts out of alignment.

Good news: I removed the OTR and thermo fans to get a good hard look at the balancer. The bolt was just off hand tight,
so lucky I found it before it had come off entirely. Would have caused major front end damage. Now, what absolutely pisses me right up the wall was when I removed the crank bolt, I found ANTISEIZE on it! ANTISEIZE on a crank bolt! I cleaned it up, inspected it for stretching, all was good in the hood. I then cleaned the crankshaft bolt hole, balancer and put some 277 red loctite on the thread and 515 master sealant on the bolt head and torqued in back up. Started the engine, got it to operating temp and gave a few stabs in the high revs then shut it off, then checked the tension on the crank bolt and visually keeping an eye on alignment when the engine was running. I also marked the crank bolt with a white marker pen for later inspection down the track, but I will now order an ARP crank bolt to put in because the GM crank bolts are one use only being torque to yield. Lucky the current one fitted is ok.

So now the Clubby will sit until all the parts arrive. I'm pretty bummed out, but also happy that I caught it when I did.

/end rant.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Wow you have to wonder sometimes. Least you caught it in time.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Yeah so lucky it did fly off doing 100 or so. wow

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wow you have to wonder sometimes. Least you caught it in time.

Yeah so lucky it did fly off doing 100 or so. wow

Hmmm tell me about it. I've been playing the sad violin in my head.

Loose balancer:

Tight balancer:

Brought it back in at least 30mm.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Did you refit the original bolt, never a good idea on such a high torque bolt.
At least you caught it early.
Lucky your balancer is still pulled fully back because when you use the old bolt to pull it on you can (not always) strip out the first few threads inside the crank if the fit is tight.
Most use a cheap 25mm longer bolt to pull the balancer on with then fit the new bolt or ARP reusable bolt for the final torqueing.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you refit the original bolt, never a good idea on such a high torque bolt.
At least you caught it early.
Lucky your balancer is still pulled fully back because when you use the old bolt to pull it on you can (not always) strip out the first few threads inside the crank if the fit is tight.
Most use a cheap 25mm longer bolt to pull the balancer on with then fit the new bolt or ARP reusable bolt for the final torqueing.

Yeah, old bolt is fitted and torqued up for now so I could move the car and not have the balancer fly off. I'll order a new bolt next week. I'll get a new GM bolt from my contacts in town for free but I'll buy an ARP bolt as a back up.

Install torque is 330Nm, then remove old bolt and install new bolt with loctite to 50Nm then plus 140deg torque turn.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Clubsport is officially back up and running for now.

Changed both the main belt and AC tensioners. And put on my new Gatorback main belt.

I'm still waiting for the Nuline pulley kit to arrive and the AC belt, as it was ex USA stock.

I'll do a how to write up on it all when the rest of the gear comes. Smooth sailing now hopefully.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Damn I tried to find a Gatorback because they looked like the shiznet but couldn't find them.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hispec in Brisbane were the closest QLD stockists for me, as that's where I ordered them from. Veyance Belting Pty Ltd is Australian stockist I believe.