Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

8 days without any postings....and weeks without seeing a ZB on the road

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Would have been nice to have all that attached to a 400+ HP motor.....

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I'm getting more interested now - why is this not publicised by Holden to help sell cars?

A couple of months ago, while I was waiting for missus to do whatever they do in large shopping centres, I wandered into a Holden dealer to have a look at a AWD Tourer, with a story about how I wanted to update my (fictional) V6 Adventra.
I was accosted by a young, eager sales-puppy, got talking, and he knew all about Adventras, they were heavy on the fuel, the gearboxes were fragile, and were not a real 4WD.
Hardly a good start, bagging your past products.
I asked how the AWD system worked, with the torque vectoring thingy stuff, he got confused and fetched an older, more experienced sales-puppy, who insisted on showing me all the electronic driver aid whizbangs that I was not interested in, but no info about my question.
We were then joined by the sales-old-dog who dismissed the other two by telepathic communication, and he also was none the wiser about the operations of the AWD in comparison the VZ system.
By telepathic means, he decided that I was not fair dinkum, just another tyre kicker wasting his time, his coffee was getting cold, and so was his attitude towards me.

This helps Holden to not sell cars, and if I had been a genuine buyer, I would not have bought one from this particular dealership.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Thanks, yeah they're $63K incl on roads retail so just on 16% off $10,000 for a brand new car. I was a bit "lucky" because Giltrap North shore had a fairly high mileage Feb 18 demo on super special for $48K in white which I don't like but I played one off against the other. I say lucky because if I'd known what was coming I probably would have bought Giltrap's demo and saved myself another $5K and a ton of drama lol

They sure have ! SH16 not in that great shape either.

Good question. I'm new to this whole torque vectoring thing. Works superbly with good power on climbing up a hilly twisty section of country road but what about coming down a steep hill and cornering with no power on but engine braking only ?
Badgerdog

Does the ZB have auto lock on the trans when coming downhill like my auto Captiva. If I slow down as we descend, the auto drops back and holds the gear automatically. I imagine this is common in auto transmissions these days, but it certainly negates the need to brake during the descent.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
A couple of months ago, while I was waiting for missus to do whatever they do in large shopping centres, I wandered into a Holden dealer to have a look at a AWD Tourer, with a story about how I wanted to update my (fictional) V6 Adventra.
I was accosted by a young, eager sales-puppy, got talking, and he knew all about Adventras, they were heavy on the fuel, the gearboxes were fragile, and were not a real 4WD.
Hardly a good start, bagging your past products.
I asked how the AWD system worked, with the torque vectoring thingy stuff, he got confused and fetched an older, more experienced sales-puppy, who insisted on showing me all the electronic driver aid whizbangs that I was not interested in, but no info about my question.
We were then joined by the sales-old-dog who dismissed the other two by telepathic communication, and he also was none the wiser about the operations of the AWD in comparison the VZ system.
By telepathic means, he decided that I was not fair dinkum, just another tyre kicker wasting his time, his coffee was getting cold, and so was his attitude towards me.

This helps Holden to not sell cars, and if I had been a genuine buyer, I would not have bought one from this particular dealership.

Ahhhh, so no marketing, no product training and no sales people.

Any wonder they're in the crapper.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
But does it have a cup holder?!

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Ahhhh, so no marketing, no product training and no sales people.

Any wonder they're in the crapper.
I put it down to high turn over of staff maybe? It's a tough gig. Even though I buy a car every year or 2 from the same dealer I've never been served by the same salesman. They've always left the industry or are working for another brand when I ask after them.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I put it down to high turn over of staff maybe? It's a tough gig. Even though I buy a car every year or 2 from the same dealer I've never been served by the same salesman. They've always left the industry or are working for another brand when I ask after them.

Still no excuse for lack of training or product knowledge.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

It appears to me that it is a 'tough gig' at Holden and Ford dealerships, where the initial contact is usually with somebody who is familiar with making the bosses coffee. They are generally unable or unwilling to provide technical info, and have to keep checking with a senior person to get 'a better price'. Their expertise is in completing the purchase paperwork, not the lead-up to it.
This is in contrast to what I experienced buying a Kia, and recently 2 Toyotas (after looking at Holdens). The salespeople are able to tell you what you want to know, and if they don't know, they find an answer pretty quickly.
They seem to be able to hit a price deal that is acceptable first up, and any hopeful requests for a better deal are met with a "Sorry, that is our best price".
I've never worked in the industry, but Holden and Ford, to the consumer, seem to be the salespersons bottom rung before heading off to better pastures.
( I lost faith with the local Holden dealer in 2003, when I wanted a new Monaro, and was told flatly that I couldn't have one because the demand was so high, they could not get one. 2 days later I got a $10 grand discount in Sydney because a dealer had about 15 in stock as runout models.)