Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cylinder failure (lost compression) no warranty VF SSV Redline

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
No warranty, get it out of Holdens hands. They will ride your bank account like they are John Wayne on a horse. $5k for a broken valve spring is something like they would hit you up for.

No shortage of performance shops that know the LS engine better than Holden. Especially in Sydney or Newcastle. They, for the most part, won’t rip you off.

I’m sure some members could even recommend somewhere.

Rockyz1904

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Thanks - with the engine issues etc I’m still fighting them but won’t be letting them fix it that’s for sure and yes any recommendations for a female friendly repair person would be great…tried Midas and they quoted 10K to $15K

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is a gratuitous screen shot from one of the forums favourite build threads at the moment.
IMG_3417.jpeg

These are the valve springs we are talking about.
Accessing these is easy. A few small bolts hold the cover on and it’s not too labour intensive.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks - with the engine issues etc I’m still fighting them but won’t be letting them fix it that’s for sure and yes any recommendations for a female friendly repair person would be great…tried Midas and they quoted 10K to $15K
Midas!!!!! Whoa there. You don’t take a car like yours to places like that.

It’s like going to KFC for a romantic dinner or eating that Chinese that’s been in the fridge for a week and you say, “it’ll be fine”.

Also, super cool to hear you have a new human on the way. So good being a parent. So far.

*ok. So as it happens, just now, Mr9 has managed to get toothpaste right up the hall floor, on the wall and on himself! Was squeezing the tube without realising it. (Allegedly)

Rockyz1904

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
This is a gratuitous screen shot from one of the forums favourite build threads at the moment.
View attachment 251679
These are the valve springs we are talking about.
Accessing these is easy. A few small bolts hold the cover on and it’s not too labour intensive.
Amazing thanks so much - feel way out of my depths here lol

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
I’ve had my VF SSV Redline loose compression on cylinder one and with no warranty (bought in 2016 and still under finance) Holden is not willing to help me.

Quotes so far have been 10K to 15K and am being told the cheapest and easiest option is a second hand engine.

I’m so annoyed as in my mind an LS3 engine should not fail in 7 years - and esp after all of the fuel injector issues I’ve already returned to Holden with in 2019 and 2021.

Should mention I don’t have the 15k just sitting around and am 28 weeks pregnant so now without a car for baby
:(

Anyone else had this happen?
was injector 1 replaced? if so push like hell for warranty saying that caused issue

Rockyz1904

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
It doesn’t tell me which Fuel Injector went the first time on the paperwork but has a code (attached in pic)

The next time they went was number 7 and 8

Attachments

• IMG_6727.jpeg
    IMG_6727.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 85

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
99% chance it will be the valve spring. If it hasn't it the piston which it shouldn't have you will get away with about 2hrs labour. At some stage you will want to replace all the springs but for now you you should get away with replacing just one.