Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cylinder failure (lost compression) no warranty VF SSV Redline

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s ok. Found it with a change to how I was writing the search.
Such an epic read. Perfect for @OP to have a casual read while she is in an extended labour, It’s like war and peace. That thread would take the pain away. I recall we could have music of our choice playing but after 23hrs music wasn’t cutting it. If only we had Stephen Fry reading @losh1971 thread as an E-book. Would have missed the end.

@Rockyz1904 this is the point it all got found in @losh1971 VE ute. Has a photo.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/loshs-series-i-ss-ute-aka-black-thunder.291183/page-42

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Been involved in other stuff over the last few days so I haven't been able to spend as much time as I would normally spend on JC‘s … = I missed this thread :p

But for @Rockyz1904 benefit (or detriment:rolleyes:) while keeping in mind I’ve not read the whole thread, I’d say that most normal consumers would expect 7 years or more and presumably 140,000kms or more out of an LS3 before the engine shits itself in any way…

On that basis alone, and especially considering our Australian Consumer Law requires anything sold by a business to be durable within the constraints of the factory service schedule for cars, I’d expect the statutory warranty should cover stuffed injectors and broken valve springs even after more than 7 years and 140k kms of ownership… And such is reinforced by the fact Holden dealers actually sold commodores with 3, 5 and 7 year factory warranty backed by the manufacturer… So don’t accept “the car is out of warranty” as a valid excuse as you have ACL statutory warranty that should still have you covered, in some cases even after 10 years or more (did I hear Takata?)…

The downside with ACL stat warranty is that you have to put an argument to the seller to get them to pull their finger out and actually stand by the product they sold (as the law requires). The seller stating that the manufacture has denied a warranty claim is irrelevant in law since the seller is the one that is on the hook for providing a remedy for the defective product that isn’t durable. Such a remedy can be arranging and paying for repairs on broken stuff…

The biggest downside with ACL stat warranty is that sellers and manufacturers often play hardball and sometimes that requires going to your state consumer group for advice and sometimes it requires going to administative tribunal or court for resolution. Sad part now is that Holden doesn’t have a reputation to protect so they just don’t seem to give a shite about following law…

But to solve your issue, you first need a full and correct diagnosis of what’s broken and why… and then what needs to be done to fix it…

As a side, Holden knew of faulty injectors and they would replaced all 8 on engines suffering such issues on a case by case basis, in some cases refunding repair costs charged by dealers (who knew of the defect which should have been handled by a product recall)… there is a thread dedicated to this… I haven’t read on anything formal from GM/Holden whether valve springs are a known problem on LS3’s but have read on some 3rd party sites that valve springs and/or valve gear need to replaced every 100,000 miles (or kilometres?)… but since such isn’t specified within the factory service schedule or bulletins, I’d take the position that such work is required because the product isn’t ”durable” as required under law…

I‘d want a thorough examination of the engine with an aim to verify if I need new injectors and valve springs but maybe also new pushrods and lifters. And this should be part of the ACL stat warranty remedy so I’d talk to office of fair trading for some advice and than have another chat to the dealer…

Good luck…

PS: if you want to read about ACL in all its intricacies and the varied opinions on its interpretation, read the sticky thread “Sudden loss of power steering assistance” at the top of the VF forum..

Last edited:

Rockyz1904

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
If it’s a broken valve spring you don’t want Holden doing doing it.
Agreed - but am fighting them on warranty first…if they don’t come to the party then will take it elsewhere

Rockyz1904

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Been involved in other stuff over the last few days so I haven't been able to spend as much time as I would normally spend on JC‘s … = I missed this thread :p

But for @Rockyz1904 benefit (or detriment:rolleyes:) while keeping in mind I’ve not read the whole thread, I’d say that most normal consumers would expect more than 7 years and presumably more than 140,000kms out of an LS3 before the engine shits itself in any way…

On that basis alone, and especially considering our Australian Consumer Law requires anything sold by a business to be durable within the constraints of the factory service schedule for cars, I’d expect the statutory warranty should cover stuffed injectors and broken valve springs even after more than 7 years and 140k kms of ownership… And such is reinforced by the fact Holden dealers actually sold commodores with 3, 5 and 7 year factory warranty backed by the manufacturer… So don’t accept “the car is out of warranty” as a valid excuse as you have ACL statutory warranty that should still have you covered, in some cases even after 10 years or more (did I hear Takata?)…

The downside with ACL stat warranty is that you have to put an argument to the seller to get them to pull their finger out and actually stand by the product they sold (as the law requires). The seller stating that the manufacture has denied a warranty claim is irrelevant in law since the seller is the one that is on the hook for providing a remedy for the defective product that isn’t durable. Such a remedy can be arranging and paying for repairs on broken stuff…

The biggest downside with ACL stat warranty is that sellers and manufacturers often play hardball and sometimes that requires going to your state consumer group for advice and sometimes it requires going to administative tribunal or court for resolution. Sad part now is that Holden doesn’t have a reputation to protect so they just don’t seem to give a shite about following law…

But to solve your issue, you first need a full and correct diagnosis of what’s broken and why… and then what needs to be done to fix it…

As a side, Holden knew of faulty injectors and they would replaced all 8 on engines suffering such issues on a case by case basis, in some cases refunding repair costs charged by dealers (who knew of the defect which should have been handled by a product recall)… there is a thread dedicated to this… I haven’t read on anything formal from GM/Holden whether valve springs are a known problem on LS3’s but have read on some 3rd party sites that valve springs and/or valve gear need to replaced every 100,000 miles (or kilometres?)… but since such isn’t specified within the factory service schedule or bulletins, I’d take the position that such work is required because the product isn’t ”durable” as required under law…

I‘d want a thorough examination of the engine with an aim to verify if I need new injectors and valve springs but maybe also new pushrods and lifters. And this should be part of the ACL stat warranty remedy so I’d talk to office of fair trading for some advice and than have another chat to the dealer…

Good luck…

PS: if you want to read about ACL in all its intricacies and the varied opinions on its interpretation, read the sticky thread “Sudden loss of power steering assistance” at the top of the VF forum..
That was a really informative read thank you so much I will follow the steps you’ve set out here

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If it comes to that, let us know roughly where you are and all going well, forum member will know somewhere good to take it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also, when you have the baby, you have to post up about the new human that comes into the world.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
any recommendations for a female friendly repair person would be great…
It's disgustingly wrong for a business to think they're entitled to rip women off or anyone mechanically disadvantaged. I know a couple of grubs who did this years ago who were typically unqualified repairers and tried to make a career out of charging for components they didn't replace.