Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Walkinshaw W engine upgrades

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Only thing I dont like about the redlines is the Sunroof,
I hate sunroofs too; I think they're an inappropriate accessory for a performance car and was something I extremely disliked about my VE2 Redline.

I'd like to add, I am not a collector, I'm an accumulator. I think that's a nicer word than hoarder.
A mate of mine is a serial "accumulator", he's got 26 cars. He's got my wife's old 6 litre VZ SS with 89,000km's on it he bought off us in 2010, and my old VE2 Redline sedan with 6,600 km's under a cover in the same position I parked at his storage unit when he bought it off me Jan 2017. He wanted my old GenF R8 and offered me 60k and told him no 65k, that's it. A couple of weeks ago, he told me that he should've given me 65k and regretted not buying it. His daily driver for the last 19 years is an old 2003 BA Falcon one tonner!

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
I hate sunroofs too; I think they're an inappropriate accessory for a performance car and was something I extremely disliked about my VE2 Redline.

Whilst im sure there would be some days it would be nice on a cruise, I feel in general they are nothing more than additional weight, complexity and seals that may leak. Just doesn't fit right on a performance model IMO

Most concerning though was seeing some owners who've experienced paint cracking in the corners of the sunroof cutout, presumably from chassis/roof flex

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Whilst im sure there would be some days it would be nice on a cruise, I feel in general they are nothing more than additional weight, complexity and seals that may leak. Just doesn't fit right on a performance model IMO

Most concerning though was seeing some owners who've experienced paint cracking in the corners of the sunroof cutout, presumably from chassis/roof flex
My wife's BMW X3 SUV has a large sunroof that extends to the rear seats. I just asked her is she's ever opened it and she told me once just after she bought the car 5 years ago and it was crap, wind blew her hair all over the place! I opened the VE sunroof once in the shed to see if it worked, but I never drove with it open, and the sunroof concept never interested me. It's just more stuff that can fail and give you grief.

grayarea

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSV
My personal opinion if I was buying one is it adds value, only because I value the Difillipo / manta exhaust system they use.

I would pay a small premium for a W310 /W375 /W407 pack over stock
I tend to agree with you, I had the W547 package fitted to my 2016 Dec build, VF SSV prior to delivery and at the very least the W packages are engineered for the VF/Gen F variants and are not considered after market modifications, certainly as far as Shannon's was concerned.
But as always each to their own.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
at the very least the W packages are engineered for the VF/Gen F variants and are not considered after market modifications,
No, that's incorrect. None of the Walkinshaw packages comply with emission requirements for Holden not to consider them an aftermarket and illegal modification. It's Walkinshaw's marketing and their race team alliance misleading people to believe they're Holden approved. Upgrade packages must be published by the manufacturer as an option or accessory with the kit components in the manufacturer parts listings and Walkinshaw packages/components are not.

Last edited:

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
No, that's incorrect. None of the Walkinshaw packages comply with emission requirements for Holden not to consider them an aftermarket and illegal modification. It's Walkinshaw's marketing and their race team alliance misleading people to believe they're Holden approved. Upgrade packages must be published by the manufacturer as an option or accessory with the kit components in the manufacturer parts listings and Walkinshaw packages/components are not.

100% correct.

If Holden/HSV were able to extract more kw without spending millions more trying to pass emissions testing, they would have.

I had the W375 kit on my E1 LS3 R8, and I was told by the previous owner that it was a factory approved kit so it was all legal. The car came with a roadworthy certificate.

The cops that stuck the bright yellow canary on it thought differently.

It only got defected on excessive noise luckily, so I just put a standard HSV system back on it and got the defect notice removed.
But if they did an emissions test it still would have failed due to the tune.

Walkinshaw products are no different to any other aftermarket performance parts when it comes to legality.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
vehicle was roadworthy by holden, then sold to us as is, then on purchase sent to WP for upgrades, then purchaser drives home, roadworthy is not done after the WP pack, sneaky way to do it

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
No, that's incorrect. None of the Walkinshaw packages comply with emission requirements for Holden not to consider them an aftermarket and illegal modification. It's Walkinshaw's marketing and their race team alliance misleading people to believe they're Holden approved.
I was once shown a video on YouTube where they run up a "Walky" engine, on a engine dyno, to get their power rating claims

I assume it was a old disgruntled employee

It was basically just a long motor with no accessories attached and the header going to a straight pipe getting pumped cold air into the intake and tuned hard to get the peak power

So, if you take the "claimed" figures, put it in a engine bay, with accessories, a exhaust, and subtract the drive train loss from the transmission, diff, and wheels, and have a safe tune in it, the 500 ish kw claims drop down to +/- 400 ish kw, depending on if they are on a hub, or roller, and of course if the dyno is calibrated correctly for the run (happy dyno vs heart breaker)

I just tried googling for it, but no joy, there are though alot of stock Walky packages with shiny claimed kw badges getting dyno'd which show the "actual" power their expensive kits provide

Whilst all manufacturers give engine power, for a aftermarket supplier to promote their kits making ???kw on a engine dyno is a crock in my mind

But saying their "W507" package on a VF with a LSA gives you an extra 50 ish kw (20% ish more power) atw doesn't look as good, especially when that extra 50 kW (20%) could have easily achieved for much less coin, sans the shiny W507 badge

There's plenty of cars that have some smart basic mods pulling the same, or more power than the claims Walky make, and for alot less money than the Walky kits cost, not having a shiny badge on the boot doesn't seem to worry them one bit when they show the "Walky's" their tail lights

Q: Where do I get my over opinionated claims from?
A: Talking to tuners, watching cars run up on dynos with before and after mods, and at the drags (MPH and ET don't lie)

Meh, this is my last rant about Walky kits, and by no means did I mean to offend anyone who has one of their kits installed, I'm just telling it as I've seen it IRT bang for your buck with typical quality parts

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
It's a great marketing strategy that can make owners believe their Walkinshaw mods are legal without Walkinshaw actually saying it.

With all the info on the internet these days, what I can't understand is people still fall for it.

You change the factory tune in your vehicle then you need to be retested for ADR emissions for that vehicle and pass to be legal.

I've never read where an owner of a Walkinshaw tuned vehicle said they'd had their car tested and it is emissions compliant to the ADR of manufacture, yet they are quick to say that someone's car with similar mods from another aftermarket tuner wouldn't pass.

The lack of logic defies me.