Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Walkinshaw W engine upgrades

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Id agree with you on that, only OEM parts will fetch more money in most cases. HSV no doubt would, but I also see some very odd things out there. On marketplace recently was an Evoke with a full genuine GTS bodykit, including front/rear bumper and side skits. Why on earth the seller chose to sell the car with that on it astounds me, he would have easily got $5k for the bodykit alone.

I always like to build my cars as if when my car was getting ready to go down the line at HVO, I was able to go into the parts warehouse and choose whatever selection of OEM bits and pieces I liked from their entire parts catalogue.

Frankly, I can't help but think that the collectability of the VF's is very overinflated.
HSV parts need to be done right. GTS body kits on Evokes and other random fitments like that doesn't increase value in my experience.

Before Holden and HSV parts prices went nuts, I bought the interior out of an LSA Maloo written off with an engine bay fire that had done only 5,000km's and fitted the interior to my VF2 Redline ute, now has full HSV Maloo interior and electronics. I then went the HSV 340 engine spec fitting the genuine HSV parts, headers, airbox, engine cover, 340 tune and partial exhaust and matches the theme of the old HSV enhanced VS utes in the mid '90's that had Maloo interior and the 185kw Maloo engine spec.

Collectable VF's need to be mint cars, there's too many high km half stuffed one's with stupidly inflated prices thought to be collectable because they're VF's when in fact condition wise, they're junk! Early August 2020, I paid 50k for my MY17 Redline ute with 3,341 km's like brand new and there was no way I'd pay more than that for a VF V8 wagon today, the reason I bought the SV6 for a daily driver was far better value for money, still a VF and looks good nonetheless, fast enough for a shopping trolly!

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
Absolutely! Back in 2020 when I shouldn't have sold my GenF R8 but got an inflated price for it at the time, it was modified with springs and shocks, Simmons wheels, a black roof lining conversion and 15% window tint and was otherwise stock.

The father of the young guy who bought it, a lifelong enthusiast who had a restored HQ 350 Monaro asked me immediately when looking at the car, if I had the stock springs, shocks and wheels. Surprisingly, he didn't ask if I had the stock cream roof lining, funny that!

I didn't have the stock wheels, hated them and sold them for a reasonable price but I had the stock springs and shocks and gave them to him. The other thing of interest to him was it tuned, and no it wasn't, the tune was the stock 340.

The bottom line was, to pay the inflated asking price at the time, the young guy's father who lent him money to buy the car was happy to do so with a mint unmodified car only. He accepted the Simmons wheels but if it was cammed and tuned as many are, he told me he wouldn't buy it. That's always been my experience consistent with panhead's statement, "the unmolested cars will draw the most attention and bigger dollars".

Exactly the reason, I have kept every OEM piece that came with my car. I only have a CAI but all the original bits are there to go back to stock. I also aqua dipped a few parts but purchased new ones to do so the OEM pieces are all still carefully stored. Upgraded the speakers but all originals carefully stored.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Exactly the reason, I have kept every OEM piece that came with my car. I only have a CAI but all the original bits are there to go back to stock. I also aqua dipped a few parts but purchased new ones to do so the OEM pieces are all still carefully stored. Upgraded the speakers but all originals carefully stored.

Same here. All original parts packed in boxes :).

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Collectable VF's need to be mint cars, there's too many high km half stuffed one's with stupidly inflated prices thought to be collectable because they're VF's when in fact condition wise, they're junk! Early August 2020, I paid 50k for my MY17 Redline ute with 3,341 km's like brand new and there was no way I'd pay more than that for a VF V8 wagon today, the reason I bought the SV6 for a daily driver was far better value for money, still a VF and looks good nonetheless, fast enough for a shopping trolly!

Im now in the position to seriously look at getting an SS this year, which will be with me for life. You certainly got a screaming deal with that! Unfortunately, a deal like that is probably not going to come up anymore. My criteria is an absolute hard limit of $55K max and less than 30K Km's. Very few out there but they come up from time to time, and it's a case of if its meant to happen it'll happen.

But youre right, so many exhaust breathers and petrol sniffers out there, wanting $70K for a 115K Km car! Clowns....

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
But youre right, so many exhaust breathers and petrol sniffers out there, wanting $70K for a 115K Km car! Clowns....
More laughable is when they advertise "low km's" only 115,000. I wouldn't buy a car to keep with more than 40,000km's. High km cars are fine if they're cheap. Up until the Covid price hike, we'd buy good condition FG XR6 Falcons with 120,000km for $6,500 and in the price hike, they were asking 18k for them. I think those 70k SS's with 115,000km's are worth about 25k realistically!

Jan '17 I paid 52k for my GenF R8 with 6,000km's. He was asking 60k but had 2 deals fall over on finance and ended up getting him down on price. I sold it in June '20 for 65k with 7,500km's. Prices were on the rise then and the Redline ute he wanted 55k and I offered him 50k. There were a quite a few MY17's Redline utes for sale at the time and after a couple of weeks he called me back we did the deal. There was a red manual ute I preferred with 2,200 km's (my ute is auto) and we agreed on 53k. When he called me back with his bank details, he wanted 60k and by memory, I might have been rude to him and told him where to jam it!

It's hard to know what's a good price and what isn't today for a good VF V8 if you really want one?

Last edited:

Nando.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ssv redline.
Absolutely! Back in 2020 when I shouldn't have sold my GenF R8 but got an inflated price for it at the time, it was modified with springs and shocks, Simmons wheels, a black roof lining conversion and 15% window tint and was otherwise stock.

The father of the young guy who bought it, a lifelong enthusiast who had a restored HQ 350 Monaro asked me immediately when looking at the car, if I had the stock springs, shocks and wheels. Surprisingly, he didn't ask if I had the stock cream roof lining, funny that!

I didn't have the stock wheels, hated them and sold them for a reasonable price but I had the stock springs and shocks and gave them to him. The other thing of interest to him was it tuned, and no it wasn't, the tune was the stock 340.

The bottom line was, to pay the inflated asking price at the time, the young guy's father who lent him money to buy the car was happy to do so with a mint unmodified car only. He accepted the Simmons wheels but if it was cammed and tuned as many are, he told me he wouldn't buy it. That's always been my experience consistent with panhead's statement, "the unmolested cars will draw the most attention and bigger dollars".
Yes, you are correct and that's why I never bothered with a cam

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
More laughable is when they advertise "low km's" only 115,000. I wouldn't buy a car to keep with more than 40,000km's. High km cars are fine if they're cheap. Up until the Covid price hike, we'd buy good condition FG XR6 Falcons with 120,000km for $6,500 and in the price hike, they were asking 18k for them. I think those 70k SS's with 115,000km's are worth about 25k realistically!

Ive actually found some of the best priced cars in SA thankfully, just not in a position at the time to pull the trigger

VF2 Redlines would be the goal, but for a good price id also look at standard SS's. Id even consider certain VF1's for a good price. A VF2 "Black Edition" would be my preferred model, all the toys of the MY17's but you get the blackout kit and Red Stitching. Then a good platform to upgrade over time. Only thing I dont like about the redlines is the Sunroof, and given the standard SS's dont get the "Redline" tax on them I've noticed more good deals with them.

I think alot of those clowns are the ones that overpaid with cheap money back in COVID, and now that the cheap money has gone they have to try and recoup what they can, least they be stuck with the hot potato. My bench mark of that is if they have in the description "Last ever Holden, only going to go up in value"

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Bloody hell! where do you store that many vehicles?

That has always been a problem, I have 5 locations and I'm lucky the old family home has a huge shed and I have a relative that has a property with many sheds. The cost of permanent storage there was one car.

I'd like to add, I am not a collector, I'm an accumulator. I think that's a nicer word than hoarder.

I still have my first car and I have my grandfather's FE Ute that he bought brand new and in my younger days, 70's vehicles cost nothing and I bought a heap and that's what started it.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Yes, I do agree at some point but it is not any different theen purchasing a car with low ks than one with higher km.
Sometimes the car that has the lowest km might just be that it is the one that is going to give you headaches.

When I'm buying. I don't care one bit about the miles on an old car, it makes absolutely no difference to me.

I look for cars with good structural integrity and something that isn't a money pit to get back into shape.