Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1999 VS SIII S 5.0 Ute

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I have no complaints about the Redback. It's better than some on the market as it's a straight bolt on no issues or bad bends. It's ok for what it is. If I had a nice V8 I don't think I'd go Redback only because there are better options out there and some that get a nice note, but only because it's a V8. V6, little hope of getting a note regardless, so not worth spending big money.

Yeah fair enough in that situation. They are a good price for the ease of it all.
You can get some "ok" sounding 6s when they're cammed up and done right but only ok. Not even close to a stock 304 with a good exhaust lol.

I think I'm settled on what I'm getting.
I'll keep my current pacemakers but into dual 2.5" through 200 cell cats, Flowmasters 40 mufflers and have the pipes exit symmetrically both sides.
Cats and mufflers delivered is $720 and have an exhaust joint do the piping and mounting for around $700.
In the next couple of years I plan on stroking or charging it so might as well future proof it. Plus I'll probably never sell it unless its back to my mate who I bought it off so the price isn't too bad.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Just got my memcal from Ace Performance and took it for a spin.

It had just rained before I left so I cant be too accurate as to how it performs due to traction issues. However I can say it has a very noticeable increase of torque from 3000-5100rpm (It hasn't revved that high in a long time but felt clean). I also don't usually go sliding around in it but I couldn't resist today and god does she love it!

They claim the tunes makes 155rwkw+ on their dyno running 98 which I do. I dont really care for power figures myself but it feels much better than it did and it didn't feel bad before anyway. Goes hard for a stock 5l.

I'll do some more driving tomorrow and see now it goes when its dry. Hopefully I get more than 350kms a tank now.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Your right foot will dictate that.

I'll take a guess that increased torque results in more right foot. :cool:

Haha yeah true.

I figure I'll use this half a tank over the next couple of days and get it out of my system before I fill up.

Regardless a good compromise will be more right foot and similar economy.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Spent a solid half hour getting it out of my system today.

I'll fill up tomorrow and try not take take it over 3 grand for the rest of tank but i doubt it'll happen.

Placebo aside it does go a lot better. Considering it only took 5 mins to install it's definitely the best value mod I've done since I got it and wish I did it earlier.

Ordered 2 Flowmaster 40 Series Delta flows today and went and got another quote on an exhaust. Hopefully get it done in the next couple of weeks.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Spent a solid half hour getting it out of my system today.

I'll fill up tomorrow and try not take take it over 3 grand for the rest of tank but i doubt it'll happen.

Placebo aside it does go a lot better. Considering it only took 5 mins to install it's definitely the best value mod I've done since I got it and wish I did it earlier.

Ordered 2 Flowmaster 40 Series Delta flows today and went and got another quote on an exhaust. Hopefully get it done in the next couple of weeks.

Lol , = it gets sooo addictive = especially when performance and great sound go together.

Will definitely need video with good sound . = compare to hooker will be interesting

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Lol , = it gets sooo addictive = especially when performance and great sound go together.

Will definitely need video with good sound . = compare to hooker will be interesting

I have a proper camera and sound recorder so I'll definitely get one. On that I have nothing to do tomorrow so might find a quiet place to have a play and get a before recording.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Here's a vid I made on the weekend of my current exhaust.
Keen to get the new one done soon!
Get a good set of headphones and listen to the birds in the background I'm waking up.