Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2004 Holden Commodore Exec

dexxxy

Reaction score
Members Ride
When i first bought my used 2004 Holden Commodore Exec, i noticed that there was a sharp squealing noise coming from the brakes. I ended up buying new brake pads though the noise is still there and its been a few months. Recently i have also noticed when i go over a small bump when braking, the brakes feel like they come off. Does anyone know what would cause these things to happen?

Cheers

[Linkin Park]

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
'04 VZ Executive, '98 EL Falcon, '95 NF Fairlane
I have a similarish prob but gets worse around corners BUT dissapears when braking? but only at the rear of the car. even though yours happens when braking my dissapears when braking???

Summer-Sickness

2005 VZ EXEC
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
[Linkin Park];970819 said:
I have a similarish prob but gets worse around corners BUT dissapears when braking? but only at the rear of the car. even though yours happens when braking my dissapears when braking???

checked whether your wheels are all tightened up properly? they make a strange noise (not so much a squeel) and then when u brake the noise stops.

dexxxy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Everytime i brake the noise happens though its a very high piercing sound. I'm going to take a drive down to Holden to see what they say.

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
The feeling you get of "brakes coming off when going over a bump" is actually your ABS working, nothing to worry about there, I had the same issue when I first got my VZ SV6 because my ole VS ute's ABS didnt do it, so took a bit of getting used to. As for the squeeling, when was the last time you had your discs machined? Could be warped? Someone else would have to clarify this one...

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Dexxxy

What sort of pads did you buy? Some of the cheap pad sets available are made in India and similar countries and are incredibly hard and not suited to normal suburban driving. They glaze because they never get hot enough due to their hard compounds. Glazing means they get a polished friction surface and don't give very good braking, and the glazing can cause the brakes to squeal. It shouldn't be a problem if you purchased reputable brand pads.