Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2007 SV6 Stretched Timing Chain

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by Lenny66, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    1 sentence? Isnt much. Isnt a very good comparison either.

2. Longman

Longman Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
    At least my one sentence was related to timing chains and making a point. I apologise if it was lost on you.

3. Benboy

Benboy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2007 SVZ Wagon
    OK that doesn't really tell me anything about what HFV6 refers to in relation to the Alloytec engine. It tells me that HFV6 is an acronym for High Feature V6. What does that mean?

4. Longman

Longman Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
    Google is your friend, heaps of info on the engine and what it means.

5. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    I've just checked the engine number on my VZ SV6 , it falls before the engine numbers listed , gives a bit of peace of mind , but just a bit .

6. Drewie

Drewie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS (Original owner).
    My nephew has recently purchased a 2007 WM Caprice with the 3.6 lt Alloytec engine I am a bit confused as to the engine numbers quoted in that Whirlpool link above, it has the engine numbers starting with 'H' where the engine number my nephew has given me from his WM to check is LY7073310437, I have pasted a bit from the Whirlpool link below anyone got any thoughts on why his engine number is prefixed with 'LY' instead of 'H' as in the article on Whirlpool? He is a bit concerned if his engine is amongst the bad batch or if his has the later chains.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copy from the Whirlpool link: The timing chains in the engine numbers listed below are prone to stretch. Don't let your Holden dealer tell you it's going to cost $3000+ to carry out the repair, it's a known design fault and was rectified in a manufacturing revision from -

Engine Number: H071380576 Eng Built Date: 18/05/07

7. carcollector

carcollector Member

Members Ride:
    WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman
    I think the early chains with a design fault all were supposed to be failing in the 20,000 km range. I'd say if you have an early VE or an engine in that engine number range and you've done 100,000 km or so, then you either don't have one of the chains fitted that is prone to 'early' stretching, or it's already been replaced.

8. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    I suspect the HO prefix may refer to it being a high output engine , like whats on SV6's .If the number falls after HO 53340001 , it may be prone to stretching , the only thing I can think of why your nephew's has a LY7 prefix is that the 3.6 alloytec motor designation , mine starts with HO, being a SV6 .

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  9. Jebadayah

Jebadayah New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6
    Not entirely accurate. Not sure of the exact range, my understanding was it was usually around the 100,000k mark. I bought my VE SV6 with 115,000 k's on it, timing chain needed replacing at 135,00. The software update / calibration had been done sometime before I bought the car. I'm thinking probably the previous owner had the calibration done when the timing chain issue first came up and offloaded the car as soon as he could.
    *Edit* Although I see scrolling back that the GM Bulletin says it usually occurs in the 10,000 - 20,000k range. Most people I've spoken to with the issue have had it somewhere in the 80,000 - 120,000k range.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  10. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    Just having another look at the numbers , it looks like it might be ok , but for your nephews peace of mind check with a Holden dealer , as I am not mechanic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

11. Jaycee

Jaycee New Member

Members Ride:
    VE
    Interesting, mines a early 2007 build and the engine number is prefixed with 'LY' and the timing chain error popped up right after the 95K service.

12. Rogues

Rogues New Member

Members Ride:
    Odyssey VE Calais
    ...... and mine's an 06 Calais, which I was led to believe was virtually the SV6 motor...... prefix 'LY'

13. carcollector

carcollector Member

Members Ride:
    WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman
    Yeah, I reckon it's two issues. For a timing chain to fail as early as 20,000 km it's got to be a serious design or construction flaw. For a chain to last around 100,000 km then stretch, it's probably more like a crappy chain set, or insufficient lubrication of the chains. Mine first started setting off codes at around 230,000 km, and it's a Sept 2006, so it's one of the earliest ones built. I haven't owned it from new, but I did contact the original Holden dealer who serviced it, and they said they had no record of any major work on it. Then again, would they admit it if they did change the chains under an agreement with the previous owner...........

14. Michael-08-VE

Michael-08-VE New Member

Members Ride:
    Ve commodore
    Hate to do the whole "revive a new thread" thing but would a rough idle be a sympto
    Of a stretched chain is this how it happened to you rough idle then a little later the engine light?

15. tod

tod New Member

Members Ride:
    ve calais
    i just recently sold my 07 ve calais 3.6l after taking it too holden after engine light came on at 84,000 ks to be told to replace battery to eliminate abs faults after accepting that i was then told another code fault was stretched timing chain the dealer chuckled and said thats a 2.5 too 3 k fix and that i could get a software upgrade for aprox 500 too quote put a band aid on the problem. wtf are they thinking is that what they sell to there customers these days making you pay for a obvious recall issue that they never done . so now i have done what i thought i would never do and brought a fg xr6t and man what a awsome car can't believe it is so under rated no interior rattles like the ve and a **** load more power see ya later holden looking forward to seeing you in my rear vision mirror .

16. tod

tod New Member

Members Ride:
    ve calais
    yes!!! my 07 calais had a smooth engine idle then started to get a little ruff replaced spark and coils and prob still there 4000s later boom engine light on took to holden gave me bullshit storys so f em went and got a fg xr6t unreal recommend to all . and before every one has a cry i suggest they test drive one you will be converted !!! its a pleasure to drive a car that doesn't rattle in the interior and a gear box thats so smooth you don't even feel the gear change

17. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Joined a Holden forum, to tell us all about how bad your Holden was and how you've now bought a Ford....fair enough.

18. P plater

P plater the immortal misguided one

Members Ride:
    1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
    Mate get a ea they are the bomb (quite literally a bomb) :beer chug: