Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2007 SV6 Stretched Timing Chain

Renefarah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega
Hi, I have to find a diagram to explain how to change the timing belt of a Holden Commodore Omega VE. However I could not find it. Does anyone have it or can help with a diagram please?

Rogues

Reaction score
Members Ride
Odyssey VE Calais
Update on my troubles........took it into the dealers as they wanted to code it thermselves to verify the problem.... (another $80) Hmm yes, you have a problem

noshitsherlock!!...:realangry...... mentioned that it appears to be a known holden problem, "Nup! nothing proven,,,, you go your hardest" was what I got from servicing

Anyways, long and short of it..... he advised that being an early model I needed a 'Vim Kit' to be installed so that the PCM could be reprogrammed:blah blah:

So, ...when I suggested this was just masking the problem he was adamant that the few that had been done had never came back with any dramas.........(still, I'd think he's probably gotta wait another 80,000k for them to start rolling in with further stretched chains)

Anyways........ rorted to the value of $300 to hide something wrong..............but I couldnt afford the $2-3000 for replacements :rolleyes:

Rogues

Reaction score
Members Ride
Odyssey VE Calais
ahhh. sorry mate........tardiness of reply an' all that.............

Regional Holden dealer in Port Macquarie.......... and yeah all seems good, although just recently it seems to me to be a lil' harsher sounding on first start up and holds a lower gear for slightly longer in moderate acceleration.......... could be just these old ears though, combined with hearing aids and an ample dose of worry, LoL :rofl2:

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Rogues, been there, done that. I have a 2006 WM V6, which came up with timing chain stretch codes. I had the software updated to mask the problem, but the dealer didn't know about the VIM amp delete work which was required for early VEs and the updated software. I ended up doing the VIM amp rework myself. About 10,000 km later, I got the timing chain stretch fault codes again, so I changed the timing chains. All good now, and that dreaded startup whine from the stretched chains and worn guides has gone away. The car is back to a smoother drive, more power, better economy and no error codes.

See below for a cut n paste from my other post re where I got the genuine timing chain kit for the early VEs, at well below dealer prices.

Hi all. I've recently had to change the timing chains in our 2006 V6 WM. I had the ECU software update, but the timing chain stretch fault codes disappeared for around 6 months, then came back. As ours is an early VE series, it uses a different timing chain set to the 2007 onwards cars. I wanted to buy genuine parts for the repair, but as expected, I balked at the dealer price for buying all of the parts.

I ended up buying a genuine timing chain kit from this person on Ebay.

[email protected]

EBAY NAME: CARPARTSSTORE2012

0457917186 MICHAEL

Price was very good, kit was all genuine GM/AC Delco, and he couldn't have been more helpful! He posted the kit via registered post direct to my mechanic, let me know where it was at every step of its journey, and even rang the mechanics to make sure they got it all OK. He also contacted me back after a while just to make sure everything was OK with the car.

No, this is not a paid announcement , but I thought I'd share the good news of another timing chain stretch fix ending well, and let you know that this bloke is very good to deal with.

I'll be going to him first next time for any genuine bits. His ebay site is worth while looking through.

Cheers all.

Rogues

Reaction score
Members Ride
Odyssey VE Calais
well.......... hope I dont have to replace the chains mate but,... good info if needed, thanks ;)

Goddamn cars been a pain lately.........always garaged & coddled up to the last 2 years, ...divorce, and cheap accom later with no garage and now I find its leaking like a sieve as well :( ....... problem may have been hidden for the previous years being garaged, just dont know but, doing my bluddy head in...

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
You will have to replace them eventually. It's not a question of if, but when. The software update / calibration just makes it work with a slightly stretched chain for a while, but the chain itself has a design flaw and will continue to stretch. Most cases the software update gets you about 10,000 - 20,000 more clicks before you have to change the chains. When they are eventually replaced, it will be the newer chain design that will (theoretically) last the life of the engine.

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Lots to be said, I have a 1929 willys, original engine, original timing chain, still runs as good as day 1, only ever put new rings in.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Anyone know what HFV6 refers to in relation to the Alloytec engine?