Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Yeh, it sounds like what mine did back in the day.

Sveno

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais L98
I had the same sorta issue with my VE Calais L98. Took it to a mechanic and he told me to go home drain the oil out whilst hot and replace the filter with a decent one. And refill with Castrol magnetic 5-30w.. and yep he was right that ticking sound disappeared. Apparently the L98 needs to have the oil changed every 5000km or even earlier.

Alexmarshall99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
I had the same sorta issue with my VE Calais L98. Took it to a mechanic and he told me to go home drain the oil out whilst hot and replace the filter with a decent one. And refill with Castrol magnetic 5-30w.. and yep he was right that ticking sound disappeared. Apparently the L98 needs to have the oil changed every 5000km or even earlier.

Great news, thank you for the advice.
I'll definitely be doing that. The car is going to be used as a weekender once this is sorted. So I'll be more than happy to do an oil change every 5k km.
Thanks again.

Sveno

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais L98
All good buddy... Yeah I thought I had to replace the lifters and yeah the oil and filter change did the trick .. make sure you use top quality oil...

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
As immortality said earlier add some nulon lifter free with your oil change it’s good stuff, I was having lifter noise on cold start with my L98 and ever since ive been using the nulon stuff it’s much improved

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi all,
Would love some opinions on the suspected lifter tick my 07 SSV is making.

Warm idle (audible tick)

Cold start (no tick)

Thanks in advance.
A bit weird how the noise is noticeably louder when the engine is warm. I’ve not really had any experience with lifter issues myself but that would suggest that the thicker oil at start up is slowing the normal oil bleed down that happens with hydraulic lifters and there’s too much oil bleed down when the oil is warm?

This could mean that an oil additive like lifter free might not make any difference to the noise or could make it worse if it cleans away carbon deposits from the leak down passages.

Maybe running an oil that is thicker when warm might help. I run Penrite HPR5 5w/40 myself.

Here‘s a video from your friendly Chryslus dealer explaining how hydraulic tappets work. Now I’m off to my Vault-Tec fallout shelter to collect bottle caps and make pipe weapons for the nuclear apocalypse!

WreckWren

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Since it's dead cold, this is pretty standard after the 250k mark. This doesn't sound like lifters going so much as wear and tear.

Pro tip: a clogged or low quality filter can exacerbate this kind of thing. Try using a different filter.