Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2008 VE commodore wagon Calais so many engine light issues

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Ok desperately hoping someone can shed some light on what might be wrong with my car .
lots of errors re occurring while driving esp off , battery saver mode , reduced power mode and lots more , driver window stopped working , radio would stay on even after exiting and locking the car , indicators and brake lights stopped working then it completely died wouldn’t start , auto sparky had a look followed the problem to the bcm , also replaced the battery as it was under warranty , took it to the local Holden dealership where I live and they checked also tried re programming but needed replacing so new bcm $1700 , drive away all sweet , two days later driver window stops working again (intermittently) and radio stays on (intermittently) , back to Holden , needs a new window switch going to cost $500 but can’t fault radio they couldn’t get it to stay on , ok no worries planning on taking it back this week to get window switch done , then tonight door light stays on and door light on dash when all doors and boot closed and handbrake light stays on whenpark brake off , warning lights beeping and flashing , crawl it home no indicators brakes or anything working and the boot touch button doesn’t work , now it’s unsafe to drive so over it problems have been ongoing, anyone had anything similar desperate for some help . I’m a mum driving around with this bloody car that more times than not has some issue .

Is it a V6 or V8 ?

If your short on cash, you can usually pick up a good S/Hand one from a wrecker,
or even a replacement from eBay, another JC member found one from a seller Auto8,
and they were a reasonable price to,
Since you have a new battery, and If you can afford a new alternator, I recon that's your best option,
Because the Battery and Alternator are the hearts of your cars.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
my daughter needed a battery but short of cash
i am sure this placed undue strain on the alternator
and she got the dreaded battery saver error,
then stability error, then car came to a halt
then she decided the $200 battery had now cost her $700

Sarah mumma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais wagon 2008
Wow that’s awesome 3 years on no drama ! That’s perfect I’m wanting to sell so I’m trying to get it safe to sell I would never try to dodge it up to make a sale so I’ll give this info to whoever I get to look at it next , I’ve taken so many screenshots from all the replies on here ! So happy so many people have responded !!
Hopefully I can get it sorted !!
For the Record, [as mentioned in another Alternator thread]
We have a family friend that has a 2009 VE L76 Calais, [beautiful car , mint condition]
And he had the dreaded signs of things failing intermittently and did nothing about that for a week,
He then bought a new battery, because the BATTERY MAN said it was old and needed to be replaced,
And so he got caught out, [including his wife, as they were both going on holidays]
he was heading to the airport to catch a plane with his wife, and everything started shutting down, as the alternator failed to charge the battery in the past few weeks
then all systems were running off the battery, as the voltage got lower and lower, the systems started showing on the screen/dash, and finally it stopped halfway up the Tullamarine freeway,
he arranged for the car to be towed home which took almost an hour to arrive,
so arranged an uber for his wife to catch the booked flight,
and grabbed a uber to the airport after his car was collected.
But he had already missed his flight, so he had to pay more money to get the next flight,
The point I'm getting at, it never said faulty alternator, but low battery voltage, so he bought a new battery [as above]
And with the intermittent charging, it kept him going for a few weeks with the new battery.

I got it started and did the usual basic skarky thing, and tested the charge voltage at the battery, and it was sitting at 14.3 volts COLD,
But when it got warm, it dropped to 11 volts intermittently,
So I sourced a replacement alternator,
Replaced the dead/faulty alternator, charged the battery over night [so it had a full charge ready for their return]
and the rest is history, [3 years ago]

So in a nut shell, a alternator MAY NOT indicate its faulty, however the other symptoms points to voltage issues.

Especially when it indicates "battery saver mode"

Sarah mumma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais wagon 2008
Yep short on cash after outlaying a few grand on it over the last couple of months plus a 2 grand vet bill (unrelated but still lots of money )

so many people have said alternator I’m gonna really push it with them , hopefully they didn’t replace the bcm for no reason or I’ll be giving them a serve .
mite just the VE Calais not v8

Is it a V6 or V8 ?

If your short on cash, you can usually pick up a good S/Hand one from a wrecker,
or even a replacement from eBay, another JC member found one from a seller Auto8,
and they were a reasonable price to,
Since you have a new battery, and If you can afford a new alternator, I recon that's your best option,
Because the Battery and Alternator are the hearts of your cars.

Sarah mumma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais wagon 2008
Trouble is I had a new battery put in under a year ago and the one before that wasn’t even that old . No idea what’s going on but it’s had two new batteries in the last 12 months .
Maybe alternator ?

hopefully not as expensive as the last fix I had done

my daughter needed a battery but short of cash
i am sure this placed undue strain on the alternator
and she got the dreaded battery saver error,
then stability error, then car came to a halt
then she decided the $200 battery had now cost her $700

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Yeah I also reckon it could be a suspect alternator.