Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

22" Rims on VE SS UTE

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
be careful with which tyre you go for.... a lot of people get confused with correct tyre choices, thinking that size is all that matters.

look at tyre placard in door well. note the load ratings quoted.
regardless of tyre/rim size, you can see that minimum load ratings are 96+ (with the lower profiles requiring a min 97-98+).
the confusing part comes when choosing the tyre... most (if not all) 245/35/20 are 95 rated- ie DO NOT meet min load rating.
that's where you need XL (extra load) rated tyres.

dont just buy the cheapest 95 rated 245/35 tyre you can find. make sure its XL as well.

dakman

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute 22's lowered hardlid
I just wanted to warn others (not in QLD) that 275' rears may not even be legal. In QLD you can increase your tyre width by 1.3 (30%) so if you had 245's standard you could theoretically increase width up to 315's however in some states the width is limited by the wheel to +1". So if your standard wheels are 7.5" you can only increase to 8.5" which is too small for 275's. Also there is a clause in the NSW legislation which restricts rim width increases to 8"max. Lots of traps for young players and it really is a minefield out there.

I would also like to say that it is refreshing to come across someone who is level headed enough to recognise that something isn't right and is prepared to correct it.

rears can be as big as you want.. my mate got defected with 9.5 front and back and only got done for the 9.5 front..

dakman

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute 22's lowered hardlid
You can get the HSV tyre placards direct from holden for $12. Less than half the price they are on scam-bay. They list the sizes as 245/35/19, 275/30/19 & 245/35/20, 275/30/20..

I run staggered 20" on my VE, and have never been hassled about them, car is also insured with the 20" wheels & insurance company (SGIO) didn't bat an eyelid

Hope that helps

i have 1 of these placards and never had problems.. i have ve ute on 22's.. 245/30/22 tyres front and back.

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I have got 22" rims, 245/30 front and 265/30 rears, I am going to decrease size to 20", 245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 rears, it is better for the car anyway.

Bling

351.9KW @ wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV ute
Hey bud i feel ya pain i had same problem with cops and my old ve ss with 22 inch bboss veronicas. Load rating and fact they were 2 inch larger than factory rims. Change to 20's and save yourself from the hasstle.

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Hey Bling,

I have only had 1 that thought they were not right, the rest have never had an isue with them, and it has been months since that happened, so I have decided to keep them, I know it makes you lose power @ wheels due to height, but who cares.

What have you done to your ute? some pretty good numbers, I was in Townsville today looking at houses to rent, moving down there later this month. Hopefully be on the strip on the 24th with the new exhaust and diff.

Bling

351.9KW @ wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV ute
Hey dazzak75 been a while since I been on the forum, geez where do I start! Well the intake is an orrsom performance otr which will be replaced by a duspeed Otr shortly then the exhaust is a 3 inch stainless steel xforce system with twin stainless high flow cats and hpc coated pacemaker 4 into 1 headers and has a lumpy comp cam. The final result being 351.9 kw @ wheels and made the ute a completely different car. Money well spent and i would highly recommend anyone with a 6 litre who is chasing raw power with a sound that can never be beat by a supercharger or turbos in my opinion! Would be great to catch up and check ya ride out and head to the drags if you have moved to Townsville!

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
hi ive read carefuly what has been written as i have 22's on my ve ssv wagon, ive bought mine from a dealer ship with 11000kms with 22's and im real curiouse how can they sell them if its not legal?

Bling

351.9KW @ wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV ute
That's a real wonder? When I traded my old ve ss sedan with 22's the dealership couldn't get the roadworthy passed with them on so they had to sell the wheels separately and sell the car with original 18's.