Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5w 30 vs 5w 40 in high km LFX

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Stay with 5-30 as the books tell you.
I guess you have the books showing previous owner was very slack and mean.
Oil change and filter at same time.
RED coolant required every 5 years.
Is that up to date?
I’m not sure.

I will likely get a full cooling system flush done.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Ok Dave, then no books.
Is the coolant red colour now)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Do you reckon there’s any value on doing my first change at say 2,000 instead of 5?
The problem is that without checking what condition the inside is, it’s difficult to know what will be the most effective process…

@wannaeatyourbrains posted the following which may be of interest..

I think he also has a dedicated thread he started on the subject but didn’t find it in my quick search.

Your engine may or may not be that bad but it’s always better to know what condition it’s actually in.

Biting the bullet now and taking the valve covers off to look inside to check the actual state may be the best solution because if it’s real bad something more drastic will be required than just a few oil changes.

There’s been a few chain and oil thread, one with some great pictures of how bad these motors can actually get and another with strategies in trying to deal with it via multiple oil changes (well more mixtures or stuff than just oil) just to clean things up…

Obviously the best is engine removal and disassembly and hot tanking the parts but that’s $$$ which people don’t like to do so they go down the trans/diesel fuel/diesel oil mix followed by multiple oil/filter changes before settling down to a grid maintenance routine. But even this costs in fluids and time if you can’t DIY (and May doing such may damage the catalytic converters and o2 sensors depending on what’s used).…

Hopefully it’s not a “rock welcome to hard place” situation.

Good luck with it all.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Not a bad innings! I would've thought an LFX would be certainly half stuffed at 275,000 km's.

Rookie numbers

Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 6.26.57 pm.jpg

Bloke on Club VF Facebook page, he got the car at 12174, and other pic at 400K

His latest post recently was below

364792707_10160058071443386_5201248220888090720_n.jpg

MY13 VF SV6 with Factory LPG so LWR. Granted he has needed a solid amount of service items, with the main thing being 3 transmissions due to torque converter failures (But in fairness, I believe he does ALOT of towing)

But amazingly from what he has said no major engine specific items aside from the usual plugs and coil packs. I think he only just replaced the suspension too. Either way, that's dam impressive! Im looking forward to his half million

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok Dave, then no books.
Is the coolant red colour now)
Yes it has books, however they didn’t use Holden the last half of ownership. Who knows wether the mechanics they used followed the book protocol.

I’ll have a look at the coolant color tomorrow.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a bad innings! I would've thought an LFX would be certainly half stuffed at 275,000 km's.
It still goes well.

To be honest the noise I have noticed has been present in every one I looked at (5-6) might just be a LFX noise running g normally….

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Go the extra 10! 5w-40 wasn’t common when the motors were designed. The extra viscosity at higher temps is only to your advantage.

I’m a big fan of using diesel oil on poorly maintained motors to slowly break down the grot inside the motor and get it to a better condition for regular oils, used by a responsible owner.