Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil flush - 275,000 km LFX

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I pick up my second car with a km LFX this afternoon.

First thing I want to do is change oil and filter.

Should I run an oil flush? If so which brand is best?

I run Penrite 5w 30 full synthetic in my cammed L77, would this be suitable in a high km LFX?

Cheers

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
recently used nulon engine flush on my LS1 VZ creman which i found to be filty inside always serviced with penrite from pervious owner. unsure if it work or not have to pull valve covers again, have heard in allotecs engine flush can cause blockage issues

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
The fairly recent car I bought was overdue about 8k for an oil change so first thing I did was change the oil and filter as soon as I got it home. Never bothered with a flush, just checked the oil when it drained that it looked ok.
Check your manual what oil is recommended I’m not familiar with the V6, but the Penrite oil you use I’d suggest is probably suitable. I would use it the first change and keep an eye on the level every 1000ks or so. If it’s burning a bit then go thicker.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I have used Penrite engine flush and it worked fine on my ly7 alloytec. Bear in mind that the engine did not have sludge in it, otherwise I would not have done it as I’m sure putting engine flush in a sludgy alloytec would send it to an early grave tbh.
As for the oil, surely it wouldn’t be running factory spec at those kms? All engines wear and will eventually require thicker oil.

My alloytec has around 220xxx and runs 10w 30 oil and life is great

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Most good quality engine oils (like Penrite) have detergents in them to free up and suspend carbon particulates in the oil. I’d be more inclined to just shorten the oil change intervals to remove any excess particulates and keep an eye on the oil colour.

If you’re unsure about the previous history of the engine or its internal condition then not putting a flush through it might be advisable. As Anthony says above if there is a heap of crap in the engine and you dislodge all of it at once it can cause issues like blocking oil passages etc.

HIS VF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Holden SV6
I pick up my second car with a km LFX this afternoon.

First thing I want to do is change oil and filter.

Should I run an oil flush? If so which brand is best?

I run Penrite 5w 30 full synthetic in my cammed L77, would this be suitable in a high km LFX?

Cheers
Hi mate, I’d use Nulon synthetic 5W30. I’ve used it on my 2014 sv6 since I bought the car brand new, (first owner). It does lose a bit of oil quicker than usual, around a quart for every 2000 kms. So keep an eye on the oil levels.
But I do the oil change myself, I replace the oil filter too every time. Which is every 10,000 kms. So far so good, even with a few mods done, OTR, cat back exhaust, high flow cats, tune, throttle controller (they kick ass) new water pump,